What coolant to do use? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its that time of this trucks cycle where I’m draining and filling the coolant back up. But after buying Prestone and Toyota and upon reading older threads I don’t know which I should use. So I’m seeking more modern/relevant input on what do you guys use. I know I’m not the only one that contemplates this. I’m hoping this thread becomes helpful for those who are unsure.What’s your 0.02 and why do you use the coolant you use?

6593E7CC-210B-4E6F-8C7D-3B909DAB4FE9.jpeg

Oh wow. Wonder how long this has been in here. Ewwww... wondering to keep green or go red. Hmmm

21666201-80C3-4B6D-9B4D-CE83499496FD.jpeg

this question:deadhorse:

Green, because that's what was in it when I bought it, and it still looks new. I'm not aware of any actual objective, proven results for red vs. green, like the Blackstone tests for oil.

Lol....Green but you should flush it a couple times first. That fluid looks like it’s got a lot of extra stuff in it.

Lol....Green but you should flush it a couple times first. That fluid looks like it’s got a lot of extra stuff in it.
Alright cool so the prestone should be fine? I checked the ingredients. Doesn’t have what other threads have warned against. Just not sure if anyone else has ran this specific antifreeze. Yeah I’m on flush #3 with same coloring lol

Green. Because it is now @cruiserdan approved.

Three years ago, Toyota Red was still readily available. There was much discussion on multiple threads about which one is best.

It was finally decided that Green was best because it is acceptable for operation in a dissimilar metals condition (FE block, AL head), the official Toyota Red was being discontinued, the excessive cost of the Toyota Red, and limited availability of TR......

Since green is readily available everywhere, costs less, and works fine (just flush and refill every 2-3 years) it has become the officially unofficially sanctioned coolant here.

Don't use orange.

Some still choose to use the forever coolant, water wetter, just plain water, and a myriad of others that are their preference.

The key here is FLUSH, FLUSH, BACKFLUSH, FLUSH, BACKFLUSH, AND FLUSH AGAIN, all with distilled water. Then add back your coolant of choice. (I did (6) distilled water flushes - one each day for six days and driving to/from work)

While you have the system drained:
Replace the PHH
Replace the pseudo-PHH
All new radiator hoses
Bypass the rear heater if desired
Do the rear heater hard-line bypass
Do the PHH bypass
Replace the heater valve on top and little hose bits there.]
New Toyota thermostat and gasket
New Toyota Radiator cap

Step #6
Step #6
Step #6.

Fill up the system and burp it on an incline and keep track of it close for a few days.

Drive it!

Flush and drive it. Then do it again.
Is the heater valve new?

Prestone green is fine. It’s less costly and readily available anywhere. In past rigs I religiously used Toyota red and haven’t noticed any difference. A focus on maintaining the cooling system leads to increased performance, not the coolant brand/color.

Go green, don't mix. Clean it out thoroughly. Replace all rubber in the coolant system.
I never found the need for the burp with my rig. Never burped it, and all is fine. :meh:

I’m done for the day will continue draining tomorrow. Had a weird foam when I was filling the radiator back up. Wonder what it could be

I’m done for the day will continue draining tomorrow. Had a weird foam when I was filling the radiator back up. Wonder what it could be

Foam is attributed to pouring it too fast. Pour slowly and it won't create a head.

Foam is attributed to pouring it too fast. Pour slowly and it won't create a head.

Does that mean you're supposed to lean the Cruiser on it's side like when you were in college pouring beer?

Green because everyone else in the universe uses it and flushing is 1,000,000x more important than the color.

Red...Red has been in mine for 24 years. Entire cooling system replaced and I still use red. Never had a cooling problem.

Does that mean you're supposed to lean the Cruiser on it's side like when you were in college pouring beer?
Exactly!!! Leaning the cruiser helps as well especially below 32 degrees. I try to keep it less than 45 degrees on my inclinometer.
On another note Zerex is now selling Asian red in 50/50 available at most Auto parts stores.

Exactly!!! Leaning the cruiser helps as well especially below 32 degrees. I try to keep it less than 45 degrees on my inclinometer.
On another note Zerex is now selling Asian red in 50/50 available at most Auto parts stores.
I know you’ll are talking about beer, but when flushing the cooling system I do usually elevate the front passenger corner to help route the air to that corner. Seems to help.:cheers:

No matter if you use green, or red coolant, the most important thing to remember, is to establish a fixed maintenance schedule for your cooling system, and then stick to it. Your head gasket will thank you for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom