80 Series won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe it was a brand new starter. I personally didn’t install it, the person I bought it from did about less than a month ago. He didn’t know much about land cruisers so when the car didn’t start he replaced the starter and spark plugs. When I checked it out it looked like everything was installed properly and looked like a decent starter. I’ll make sure to double check if that’s the problem though.

Did you buy it not running? Or has it been running/driving a bunch after he replaced it?

I believe it was a brand new starter. I personally didn’t install it, the person I bought it from did about less than a month ago. He didn’t know much about land cruisers so when the car didn’t start he replaced the starter and spark plugs. When I checked it out it looked like everything was installed properly and looked like a decent starter. I’ll make sure to double check if that’s the problem though.

Wait.

Why are we even discussing the starter?

I ASSumed it cranked but would not fire/catch/start? Is this not the case?

Wait.

Why are we even discussing the starter?

I ASSumed it cranked but would not fire/catch/start? Is this not the case?

Good call. I just reread the first post. Sounds like it is cranking over if he’s getting spark. My bad for the confusion.

Hello Everyone. Here's a Saturday update (i mostly work on the truck on the weekends and this is also when I try out all your suggestions)

91 LC: So after completing the checklist that was posted here (steps 1-4), I was in a stump. I did not know if it was an ECU problem or not. I called in a very corrigible mechanic of mine to check it out. After listening to our attempts to start the car he said there was no compression. I asked for his assurance because every where I look on the forum it seems that if there is NO CEL then its most likely a wiring/electric issue. He seemed fairly positive but to be sure he started checking the compression of the cylinders with his tool.

Now during this diagnosis he said that two cylinders definitely did not have compression, but one did. I Believed he only checked three. Somehow though, while he was checking for comp. and i was turning the key trying to get the engine started, it began to start a little. I gave it gas when this happened and it did fire up but the engine still wasn't right.
Not idling, i had to give it gas to keep it running, white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and no compression from the cylinder my mechanic was checking.

So at this point, my mechanic said the next step we should do is take out the head and see if its a valve issue or if its a piston ring issue. I trust him quite a lot because he helped rebuild my miata, however he did say he's not extremely familiar with older cars. That being said, does everything check out alright? Could it really be a valve/piston problem? If so, is it still normal that my CEL isn't on??

94 LC: I mentioned earlier my dad has a 94 and we couldn't get it started either. It had a CEL at one point, but when we went to fill it up on gas(it was empty and after changing the EFI and fuel pump we thought that it would start right up), the CEL was off. So it didn't start and we thought wow two lc's w no check engine lights. However, after we had my LC diagnosed, my mechanic went to take a look at the 94. We connected the battery and when i looked at the cluster. BAM cel was on!!! very weird, but it started right up!!! very stoked. Don't know why this happened but ill take it. I think what solved it was my father unplugging and re plugging the igniter.

ANYWAYS, bitter sweet moment. Any more info would be appreciated. I check this forum everyday and I love learning more about LC's. Thanks guys!

jdirty80, I just found your thread. I’ve got a 1991 80 series experiencing almost identical issues to yours. Similarly, I’ve done spark plugs, distributor cap, new relay, and just last week a new fuel pump. Sometimes, the LC will start and some times it won’t, maybe 50/50. Every time it fails to start, the CEL is off. I then leave it for a day or two, and it usually starts up. So far, my mechanic hasn’t been able to figure it out.

What did you end up doing to get yours running? (Assuming you did get it up and running?) was it a compression issue? I’m starting to think that could be my problem as well but I’m really hoping its a less expensive electrical issue...

jdirty80, I just found your thread. I’ve got a 1991 80 series experiencing almost identical issues to yours. Similarly, I’ve done spark plugs, distributor cap, new relay, and just last week a new fuel pump. Sometimes, the LC will start and some times it won’t, maybe 50/50. Every time it fails to start, the CEL is off. I then leave it for a day or two, and it usually starts up. So far, my mechanic hasn’t been able to figure it out.

What did you end up doing to get yours running? (Assuming you did get it up and running?) was it a compression issue? I’m starting to think that could be my problem as well but I’m really hoping its a less expensive electrical issue...
Please stop.
The CEL and related EFI systems have NOTHING to do with engine compression. You are going down a primrose path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom