Buying another 80 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saying an 80 is expensive to maintain is ridiculous. It just simply isn’t factual.

A spoiled ass! entitled American kid who beat on it because they got no values! And never worked for anything. Stay away from one of those cruisers & Stay off my lawn.:D

Saying an 80 is expensive to maintain is ridiculous. It just simply isn’t factual.
Depends if you're talking typical maintenance or preventative maintenance. With the latter, I spend quite a bit monthly.

It is if you have to do everything that should have been done over the course of 20 years at once ;)

You are the only source that I am aware of that has done all the math :hillbilly:

Depends if you're talking typical maintenance or preventative maintenance. With the latter, I spend quite a bit monthly.

You are addressing deferred maintenance though. Stuff that has been neglected for the past 2 years. That isn’t the same thing.

It is if you have to do everything that should have been done over the course of 20 years at once ;)

You are the only source that I am aware of that has done all the math :hillbilly:

Correct. Take the typical mud member that spends $2-3k “baselining” a rig. Now factor in that little to nothing had been done to that rig for the previous 10 years...

Maintenance is one thing but resurrection is quite another....

You are addressing deferred maintenance though. Stuff that has been neglected for the past 2 years. That isn’t the same thing.

Correct. Take the typical mud member that spends $2-3k “baselining” a rig. Now factor in that little to nothing had been done to that rig for the previous 10 years...
You make my point. The poor maintenance history becomes OUR problem $$$$$$$$$$$

Correct. But anyone that buys a 25 year old vehicle expecting it to be maintained religiously and to get it for cheap is a fool.

You make my point. The poor maintenance history becomes OUR problem $$$$$$$$$$$

Yes and no. These rigs are very durable and overbuilt. I can say that my 92 was not meticulously maintained for a fair number of years. Just typical maintenance with any car. Fluids, brakes, tires, belts. Not MUD OCD maintenance.

My 93 I have had 19 months now. I have changed brake pads, belts, fluids, and fixed a couple of leaks. That was all that was REQUIRED maintenance. Plugs, wires, hoses, and a bunch of other stuff were not. I still have only spent about $1000 in maintenance. And I’ve driven it across country and back.

Now, if we talk about mods... that’s a different story $$$$!

I bought one out of CA and one out of TX. Both had really good maintenance and rust was a non issue. I just went straight to installing lockers. Pay more up front and you can play earlier. There are people out there that maintain these rigs.

Nothing wrong with resurrection though. If the truck is still in good shape and it functions properly, I don't see anything wrong with fixing up a neglected truck. There is a point of no return for sure, but managing something that has a little rust really isn't that hard if you plan ahead and it doesn't affect the car's performance from what I can tell, after you fix a metric f-ton of things.

Out of the roughly 78,000 80 Series that Toyota says they sold here, I would guess that maybe half of them are still on the road and most of those are clumped around the areas that had incomes to justify a LC and they had good car weather. When a nice one makes its way to the hinterland, you almost have to buy it and give a good home.

I would hate to be your dog........"sorry buddy, you just aren't what you used to be. Time for a dirt nap.." ;)

Nothing wrong with resurrection though. If the truck is still in good shape and it functions properly, I don't see anything wrong with fixing up a neglected truck. There is a point of no return for sure, but managing something that has a little rust really isn't that hard if you plan ahead and it doesn't affect the car's performance from what I can tell, after you fix a metric f-ton of things.

Out of the roughly 78,000 80 Series that Toyota says they sold here, I would guess that maybe half of them are still on the road and most of those are clumped around the areas that had incomes to justify a LC and they had good car weather. When a nice one makes its way to the hinterland, you almost have to buy it and give a good home.

I would hate to be your dog........"sorry buddy, you just aren't what you used to be. Time for a dirt nap.." ;)

I think the number is closer to 50k. About 7k a year is what I seem to remember...

Damn, you got me. LOL My Labrador is 13.5 years old and starting to lose control here and there. I told my wife the dog isn't long for this world as far as I'm concerned. Terrible, I know.

I think the EPA should appreciate gas guzzling Landcruisers for the simple fact that they do last so long on the original parts issue thus reducing pollution caused by manufacturing driven by consumption. Try explaining that to a Prius driver.

Lanolin. Sheeps oil. You spray it all over underneath. It doesn’t allow anything to penetrate it. Such as salt.

Bonus: It smells like wet sheep.

Yeah...It takes you back to the farm, the tall red rubber boots...... The smell of wet sheep on those cold mornings......... Elsie..........Ewe, Baby Ewe.......:smokin:

I went from laughter to slightly nauseated in 3 seconds after reading these two jokers!

Relatively speaking yes and no, any 20 year old vehicle will cost a bunch to maintain as a lot of parts will need replacement. Anything rubber, moving parts and such. Compared to similar 20 year old vehicle it does need much less but each part will cost a lot more compared to your average GM. Although it’s amazing that I still can order brand new parts for these old beasts.

It’s really cheap If but after market stuff instead of OEM but they really don’t last nearly as long as OEM parts.

Relatively speaking yes and no, any 20 year old vehicle will cost a bunch to maintain as a lot of parts will need replacement. Anything rubber, moving parts and such. Compared to similar 20 year old vehicle it does need much less but each part will cost a lot more compared to your average GM. Although it’s amazing that I still can order brand new parts for these old beasts.

It’s really cheap If but after market stuff instead of OEM but they really don’t last nearly as long as OEM parts.

Life cycle cost it has to be one of the least expensive vehicles.

How many other vehicles are rolling around with 25 year old alternators, starters, water pumps, etc? It’s quite remarkable really.

Life cycle cost it has to be one of the least expensive vehicles.

How many other vehicles are rolling around with 25 year old alternators, starters, water pumps, etc? It’s quite remarkable really.

Completely agree! I replace the alternator due to misdiagnose! Quite pissed off about it.

I do need to replace the front caliper, Ujoints, bushings......but it is still runing. Not many vehicles out there can compare.

Completely agree! I replace the alternator due to misdiagnose! Quite pissed off about it.

I do need to replace the front caliper, Ujoints, bushings......but it is still runing. Not many vehicles out there can compare.

I’ve replaced the starter out of necessity. And on my third radiator. AC condenser (user error/being a cheapskate and running stop leak in it instead of replacing seals). Nothing else was necessary. Not bad for 26 years...

I think the EPA should appreciate gas guzzling Landcruisers for the simple fact that they do last so long on the original parts issue thus reducing pollution caused by manufacturing driven by consumption. Try explaining that to a Prius driver.

I would love to see the numbers on this. There is no way that running an old rig is more of an energy suck than driving a new rig if you consider everything that has to go into it. By the time you either mine the ore, smelt it, make the new factory and all of the machines that it needs, and you dig up the materials for the battery and then you realize that the place you get your juice from relies on coal to generate the power and then you have to run the infrastructure to support recharges for E only vehicles, etc.

The cheapest car is the one you have. If you have an 80, that is the only car you need. Just take care of it and it will last as long as they keep selling gasoline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom