Green T-Case, leaky speedometer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For the leak at the transfer case where the speedometer gear is, I used some Permatex non-curing automotive sealant. I smeared a thin coat around the o-ring area, reinserted the gear, and haven't had a leak since. Because this is non-curing, you can pull and reinsert any time with the same results.

(Sorry for the bump, figured this might help someone.........)

I've got a bad o-ring that I haven't replaced yet. In the FSM the procedure is in the transmission section. So, just to verify, am I leaking transfer fluid or AT fluid?

Where the speedo connects to the transfer case. It's the gear-driven sleeve in the FSM.

Thats gear oil in T-case. Put some RV sealant on the O-ring when you change it as it will just leak again if you dont.

I'm seeing an o-ring and an oil seal in the FSM, the latter I hadn't planned to replace. Maybe I should?

O ring on the outside, seal on the inside is small. Can do later if you don't have both handy.

just finished up with this little job, thanks again to all everyone that helped me out. Very easy and straight forward, like you said it would be.

I was a little concerned with the amount of dirt that was around the speedo housing, is this about normal? I was sure to wipe it all clean before reinstallation.
what size o ring did the trick any recollection?

Holy old thread man... this was 14 years ago! The o-ring is a Toyota part, don't recall the part number but suspect any of our current parts vendors on here would know what it is and have it in stock.
lol, thanks man

Holy old thread man... this was 14 years ago! The o-ring is a Toyota part, don't recall the part number but suspect any of our current parts vendors on here would know what it is and have it in stock.

Should'a kept that 80 man!

Just to get the P/N's on here (as someone asked) for the FZJ (could be others too) since I'm seeing a little drippy-drip as well...
(parts gurus - please correct if necessary)

90310-09001
SEAL, OIL

Toyota 90310-09001 SEAL, OIL

Part DescriptionSeal, Oil (For MTM Speedometer Shaft Sleeve)

96711-24030
RING, O

Toyota 96711-24030 RING, O

Part DescriptionRing, O (For Speedometer Sensor)

July 2020 cost - about $7 for both +shipping from TPDdotcom

Yer gear oil is fine.

You need to replace the o-ring on the outside of the speedometer driven gear sleve.

As I'm home at the moment sipping on a bubbly delight, I can't recite the part number :flipoff2: .

It is indeed an easy fix.

D-
G'day CruiserDan going through the old threads again. Just wondering if you managed to get your hands on the part number for the Speedo O ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom