Magnetic driving light mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I needed to mount some Hella halogen driving lights to the stock bumper of my 62. Not many options available for non-destructive mounting, so I made my own. Quick write up here for anyone who wants to avoid drilling.

You will need 2 of these magnets. They have countersunk holes sized exactly for a M8 countersunk Allen machine screw. Get 2 of these, in stainless steel. Also get matching flat washers and lock nuts.

If you’re installing the Hella lights that I used, you will need to carefully measure the length of your countersunk machine screw. It can only protrude about 8mm above the light’s mounting bracket before it hits the light housing. Getting the nut onto the bolt and tightening it all down is a bit of a job. Use some threadlock and snug it down very well, or else the light will rotate around the screw.

sJcDB1e.jpg

These magnets are incredibly strong. Once you stick it to the bumper, you will be challenged to pull it off. Best Best is to slide it forward to the edge of the bumper, rock it over the edge, and pull it off when it no longer has full face contact. I added a disc of Gorilla tape to the bottom of the magnet to keep it from scratching the chrome. I have zero concern about these coming off. They have been stuck down for 6 months at highway speed and some rough off-roading.

cOhOAgH.jpg

I put the light on a quick-disconnect pigtail for if/when I want to remove them.

was there supposed to be another link? bracket to attach to magnet?

was there supposed to be another link? bracket to attach to magnet?
The brackets I refer to are the ones that comes with the Hella 500 lights I installed. They look like this:

135-003-00-1.gif

Normally, the light housing has a plastic boss at the bottom through which the long thinner screws on the pictured bracket pass like this:

500_Series-pri4.png

The shorter thicker screw goes into your bumper or rack or whatever you mount to and secures with the pictured washer+nut. In my case, I reversed the orientation of the thicker screw and changed it to a stainless countersunk screw and fed it up into the bracket. In other words, the nut sits within the bracket, not outside the bracket as you see in the photo.

The brackets I refer to are the ones that comes with the Hella 500 lights I installed. They look like this:

135-003-00-1.gif

Normally, the light housing has a plastic boss at the bottom through which the long thinner screws on the pictured bracket pass like this:

500_Series-pri4.png

The shorter thicker screw goes into your bumper or rack or whatever you mount to and secures with the pictured washer+nut. In my case, I reversed the orientation of the thicker screw and changed it to a stainless countersunk screw and fed it up into the bracket. In other words, the nut sits within the bracket, not outside the bracket as you see in the photo.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom