Put 100 octane (low lead) Aviation fuel in my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know for a fact that ethanol will clog the fuel filters on lawnmowers, chain saws and weed trimmers. I've had it happen to me personally and the repair is as simple as changing the filter and not using ethanol gas anymore.

... Except when the 2-stroke oil doesn't stay in solution in the gas because of the ethanol. That was how I learned to rebuild my chainsaw engine, and how to find ethanol-free gas for it.

Also, the political discussion needs to include the cost of *farming* the ethanol, which (just to add insult to injury) uses oodles of gas and diesel.

THis is the second time you have come across as condescending towards me in a thread.

Once is an mistake, twice is a pattern, thrice is a habit.

You sir are quickly moving toward the ‘ignore this user’ list.

Hi @SmokingRocks I assume that the above is intended towards me?

If me not agreeing with you you find it offensive against you I will make a note of that and apologize

Will never happen again

have a nice life

You have made it a point to disagree with me here and in other threads for the sake of just disagreeing with me. What is moronic is the fact that there are endless reputable studies on this subject which don't agree with you and in some cases flat out counter your ideal theory. The most ineffective Dr or Scientist is the one who lets their bloated ego blind their objectivism.

And I've had enough of you, ignored.

I see, it's not hard to find your company since you name dropped yourself so discreetly. The company has got a great focus on the environment which I commend. On the other hand it helps explain your utopian view of all things 'renewable' and your holier than thou demeanor.

Last edited:
Anyway......

Running one tank of aviation fuel in your 80 will allow you to see some short-term gains in feel. It may feel a little more responsive, but the lead in the fuel will not help your catalytic converters. Will it destroy them? Unlikely.

Unfortunately, the ECM in your truck will compensate for the changes in octane through the O2 sensors and adjusting timing and fuel delivery. You might see slight power increases and better fuel mileage, albeit relatively small improvements.

Now, it made a HUGE difference in my 59 Studebaker this past summer. My Stude hates E-10 so much it vapor locks easily, it runs rough, has lower power, and starts hard. I refuse to put it in unless I have NO choice. I will drive 20 miles to get non-ethanol fuel for it.

We put in 103 octane leaded fuel when we were in Indiana this past summer and could not find any other non-ethanol. We even pulled into a gas station where a fuel delivery driver was unloading and talked to him for 45 minutes to find a station ANYWHERE that had non-E.

The Stude has never run better! But, it was $7.50/gallon! They had a 10 gallon limit at the pump. I had to back the car against the post and hold the nozzle just right to get it into the tank............

I did it many years ago on a 1960 Chevy 4x4 with a 235 CID 6-cyl that I was using to pull a car trailer. I couldn't even get to 55 MPH before that. After I filled it with 103, I easily made 65 MPH with the trailer and got better mileage.

To the few comments about leaded fuel being needed for big blocks..It's more so needed for older engines in general. the use of lead is due to the soft valve seats in heads. The lead keeps the valves from sticking. My old MG needs leaded fuel as well and that's only a 1.8l 4banger.

You have made it a point to disagree with me here and in other threads for the sake of just disagreeing with me. What is moronic is the fact that there are endless reputable studies on this subject which don't agree with you and in some cases flat out counter your ideal theory. The most ineffective Dr or Scientist is the one who lets their bloated ego blind their objectivism.

And I've had enough of you, ignored.

I see, it's not hard to find your company since you name dropped yourself so discreetly. The company has got a great focus on the environment which I commend. On the other hand it helps explain your utopian view of all things 'renewable' and your holier than thou demeanor.

I am not hiding I am proud to work in an organization dedicated to the production of petrochemicals in sustainable and responsible manner,

I apologized and promise not to disagree with you again and still you continue with rage and violenss

you make this a personal matter as if I am looking for a conflict with you and this is absurd, I don't know you you say this is a second time that i disagree with you I really don't remember

About all the rest you wrote I say....... Whatever

interesting, I thought it was also to help reduce wear on flat tappet cams and rockers. IDK where I remember that from so I could be wrong.

interesting, I thought it was also to help reduce wear on flat tappet cams and rockers. IDK where I remember that from so I could be wrong.[/QUOTE
Nope, that had to do with the Zink additive that is no longer added to motor oil. Some one said that Zink was bad for the environment, so oil manufacturers stopped adding it to motor oil. We use to use a product in the shop made by Gm, called EOS to do our flat tappet cam break in that worked real well. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid-88862587-Assembly-Lubricant/dp/B00BK7LYPW

Last edited:
You'll be fine, just don't do it regularly...

My dad and uncles used to fill up on AVGas every once in a while on their 60s and carbed 80s, they said the fuel cleaned the engine and what not. Its been proven in this thread they were wrong, but the engines never skipped a beat. To be fair, the Toyota tractor engines are safe to run using leaded fuel and run on low RPM's...

I have used avgas on my fuel injected trucks (single cat, not a lot of emmissions crap) without trouble. Same MO: half a tank and dilute with 91 (sometimes I dont dilute immediately). No trouble with Cats, plugs, O2 sensors. I don't do it regularly and the trucks run just with with it..

I do use AVgas on small outboard engines when we travel to fishing spots by plane. I can swear the small two strokes run better with AVGas, but I suppose it might be a butt dyno psycological effect, no actual scientific data.

No big deal, it won't hurt anything serious but it will shorten the life of your O2 sensors. I run ethanol free 91 in mine for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't drive my cruiser every day, so sometimes the fuel sits for a month or more.
2) When I do drive it, it's during severe weather. Like subzero cold. It starts easier in cold weather with no corn juice.

It takes two gallons of diesel to produce one gallon of Ethanol. The only reason it is viable is because it is subsidized. Take away the tax money, and the problem will solve itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom