Stock offroad capability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had a 98 FJ100 for about 3 years; its a backup vehicle for me that serves mostly as a utility/camping vehicle for me. This weekend i went with my buddy to Hollister (CA) and went up a few of the blue trails (McCray rd, west loop, bonanza gulch) in his '15 rubicon (small lift, some skid plates etc) and now i really want to see what the land cruiser is capable of. Right now the truck is bone stock; the only thing i have done to it is pull the steps off the sides. I currently have factory sized Michelin LTX street tires on it; they are new-ish with probably around 10k miles on them.

Going with him there were a few rocky sections (especially near the top of McCray road and west loop) that seemed a bit too technical (1' tall rocks) for my stock truck... is that just me being shy or is my assessment correct? Is there anything that are a must do for stock trucks? I saw on another thread that starting with sliders and skid plates is a good idea; I really only know of Slee for parts. Is there a better "value" option for those types of parts? My other assumption is that my tires arent really going to cut it... is that accurate? Is a lift necessary or can i get by with just getting larger tires?

Thanks!

Once again, the search bar is a MUD members best friend. Not going to list all the other sources because that list is pretty long but you need to do some research on your own. Go up to the top and click in the search bar, click "More..", search the keyword(s) you are looking for, filter to the 100 section, and sort by relevance. I see you joined back in 2014 but I also see you haven't been active on this forum a whole lot so I'm not trying to be an @$$hole but come on....how many members on this site have no idea how to use the search functions?? Now I don't mean to rag on you so much but I have come across mannnny posts like this from other members (both new & old) who don't seem to know how the search feature works so they ask questions that have already been answered in other threads. All of that knowledge, advice, reviews, vendors, etc.. are already out there, just need to set some time aside to do some research on your own. Good luck in your research and report back with how you plan to build your rig!:cheers:

So, i did do some searching (in the 100 forums) prior to posting but the keywords im using seem too generic (stock, offroad, etc) and i get a lot of unrelated items. I found a few threads that addressed some of the items, but I was hoping there is something like the FAQ that might address a lot of these noob questions. I did read thru the FAQ and the TLC FAQ but i didn't see anything that addressed stock offroad capability specificially (i saw mostly technical related articles dealing with specific upgrades). Ill do some more looking.

Most of the threads said "you would be surprised with the capability" but not much further... Truthfully the main thing i was hoping for was someone who is familiar with some of the trails i mentioned would chime in and tell me if i should attempt it stock. I feel like most forums like this are for people who know what they are talking about... im a noob RE: off roading.

Its all relative and how much kahoneys and skill you got to wheel a stock truck. For example, a rental stock Jeep Cherokee I would wheel harder than my LC. For a stock LX470? Would I wheel it up Mengels pass? Hell no. Would it be capable? Yes, but with damage.

that starting with sliders and skid plates is a good idea;
Those are your keywords. I did it for you, scroll down and you'll see a few of the most popular sliders among the 100 crowd

Aftermarket sliders????

As for the skid plate options, I made a thread 3yrs ago (Skid Plate Options) where I asked the same question and you can look at all the suggestions in the comments. You may be able to find more options if you search "aftermarket skid plates" since that thread is old, but I thought I read somewhere that a few supporting vendors might have skid plate designs in the works - @benc @reevesci (I know I'm missing one or two)??

I think at the moment your tires are your weakest link. The LTX tires are a road tire with thin sidewalls. One semi sharp rock and you’re changing tires. I had sidewall punctures on two before I learned my lesson, and my truck wasn’t off road neither time.

Dwight is dead on. Tires and sliders first. The biggest challenge is realizing you have to put you tire on the big obstacles and not try to straddle the obstacle. Once you get that down, you will be going all kinds of places.

Do you have the rear locker option?

285/75 R 16 BFG KO2's - new style. Sell michelins on Craigslist and pay for most of your new tires.

I know bump it off road makes sliders and slee and white knuckle.

Bottom line, the vehicle in stock form is fairly capable, BUT if you off-road on rocks you are going to suffer damage (eventually) if you don't take measures to prevent it. (Tires, Sliders, Skid plates, Lift, Experience).

You mentioned you have an "FJ100." I'm sure you mean UZJ100, but you don't specify if it's a Land Cruiser or LX470. If it's a Land Cruiser, does it have the factory rear locker? This would put you a ways ahead of the game. If it's an LX470, you would have AHC, which also puts you ahead of the game with regard to clearance.

For rocks, IMO, I would start with:

1) Removal of low-hanging body parts:
- Side steps, which you've already done
- The frame dongle on the passenger side frame rail
- Factory mud flaps with a delete kit

2) Tires with an appropriate tread design (AT or MT) with a larger than stock diameter (33" is a favorite because it fits without mods). Larger tires (or portal axles, but I' assuming that's outside of the realm of possibility in this case) is the only real way to increase clearance under lowest part of the vehicle; the rear differential.

3) Armor:
- Sliders (lots of choices here)
- Skids, if you feel you need them, but in many cases careful choice of lines helps mitigate this
- Bumpers, front and/or rear, to improve approach and departure angle

4) Traction aids (you may never need these, but if you do, you'll know):
- Lockers, to keep from having to spin tires or use momentum over obstacles
- Crawl gears for better control in low range when negotiating obstacles

Why does everyone hate on the mud flaps :)

If you are wheeling on rocks, you'll need tires and sliders, but if you are just offroading, upgrade your tires and go from there. These trucks will do a lot with no real modifications at all, and by removing the stuff from your stock rig, you are essentially just eliminating things that will snag and break.

Why does everyone hate on the mud flaps :)

Wouldn't be such a big deal if they didn't hold the rear bumper on! A departure off a near-vertical obstacle, or backing up and pinning a mudflap against a rock (and subsequently tearing it off with your tire) can ruin your day. If you must have mudflaps, you can always go with the super-classy JAOS setup and tie them back to the bumper like so:
Bnm5cIw_2k_KGrHqUH-EEEts_TTvHWBLkJB-_2YQ__1_ae38d248-dc8a-48da-8da7-a44bfaa04420_grande.jpeg

BEG is 100% correct. I need the flaps because I have a hitch mounted bike rack and ALL of my bikes are carbon. Don't want rocks slinging up and striking the frame. But, the flaps on the 100 series are anchored very well into the back bumper. If you ever are off road and need to back up and the flap contacts a large rock and pinches between it and your tire......goodbye bumper. It'll rip it clean off.

I am removing mine and replacing with a delete kit. Once I have that installed, I'm overlaying extended urethane flaps with tie-backs that are designed to tear away if they get pinched. They would be similar to the JAOS, but NOT $600 for all 4. More like, $80 for all 4 :)

Also remember....your year model Cruiser has a two pinion front differential. Try to avoid spinning the front tires in situations where they could 'catch' and suddenly get traction. It is not unheard of for that differential to fail under those conditions.

A stronger 4 pinion diff, or better yet...a selectable locker would be a worthy upgrade IF you plan to do any challenging off-roading.

BEG is 100% correct. I need the flaps because I have a hitch mounted bike rack and ALL of my bikes are carbon. Don't want rocks slinging up and striking the frame. But, the flaps on the 100 series are anchored very well into the back bumper. If you ever are off road and need to back up and the flap contacts a large rock and pinches between it and your tire......goodbye bumper. It'll rip it clean off.

I am removing mine and replacing with a delete kit. Once I have that installed, I'm overlaying extended urethane flaps with tie-backs that are designed to tear away if they get pinched. They would be similar to the JAOS, but NOT $600 for all 4. More like, $80 for all 4 :)

That's actually a really good idea. Pick up some raw mudflap material , add some aluminum reinforcing at the bottom and tie them back with aircraft cable or webbing straps. Maybe use some low profile quarter-turn Dzus fasteners to attach them to the eliminators so they can be easily removed if you're gonna play in the rocks.

Also remember....your year model Cruiser has a two pinion front differential. Try to avoid spinning the front tires in situations where they could 'catch' and suddenly get traction. It is not unheard of for that differential to fail under those conditions.

A stronger 4 pinion diff, or better yet...a selectable locker would be a worthy upgrade IF you plan to do any challenging off-roading.

Good point on the front diff. My '98 LX is a 2-pinion front and your recommendation is spot on. Avoid spinning the tires. Learn to left-foot brake and moderate throttle vs stomping it. Mine has been over some major off-road trails and passes (Mosquito, Imogene, Tincup, Taylor, etc) with nary an issue. Patience, good throttle management and an eye for proper lines is the key to an enjoyable off-road experience.

A 100-series cruiser in it's most basic form is an incredibly capable off-road vehicle. Check out the Hundred in the Hills threads and you'll see plenty of stock 100's doing trails like Black Bear, Imogene, etc. Add some good quality AT tires like KO2, remove the running boards and you can go just about anywhere. Just don't mistake a 100 for rock-crawling jeep and you'll be fine.

That's actually a really good idea. Pick up some raw mudflap material , add some aluminum reinforcing at the bottom and tie them back with aircraft cable or webbing straps. Maybe use some low profile quarter-turn Dzus fasteners to attach them to the eliminators so they can be easily removed if you're gonna play in the rocks.

We are cut from the same cloth BEG. Exactly where I'm headed with it.

Reactions: BEG
If you are wheeling on rocks, you'll need tires and sliders, but if you are just offroading, upgrade your tires and go from there. These trucks will do a lot with no real modifications at all, and by removing the stuff from your stock rig, you are essentially just eliminating things that will snag and break.

X2

I have broken a front diff and almost removed my rear bumper before in very easy conditions. I did not have the rear locker on that 99 that broke the front diff. Toyota replaced it under drive train warranty. I had a 2 inch lift, 285's, covered in mud, and Toyota did not question the repair.

Last edited:
To the OP...

I have a nearly stock LX470. The only real mod I have made to it is I got some BFG KO2s. I still have the running boards on.
I was able to do every blue trail and most of the normal obstacles at Hollister no problem. No damage to the vehicle.

Start with the tires. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom