Builds My 40 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still collecting parts.........

Decided to use Tanks Inc fuel pump module. I have used these before and have had good luck with them. Looks like I will finally get a few days off this month. Maybe, just maybe I might get to do a few things to the 40.

Last edited:
Bought a good used fuel tank from @thundermcawesum Now let the cutting begin.

What little time I had this evening was spent measuring for the location of the fuel pump module. The fuel pump tray will need to be cut down. Just not enough room between the baffles for it to fit. Cannot see any reason why there will be any problems. If I have time tomorrow the drilling will start.

Last edited:
Directions said to use 4 1/2" hole saw. Well I had a 4" & 5" bits. Thought about buying a 4 1/2" bit but just for one hole. So I found a piece of scrap metal. Went to drilling the 4" hole. The fuel module will go through the hole with a little file work. Now to cut the bracket to length, drill the mounting holes and assemble everything. Will call local radiator shop to see if they boil out gas tanks.

Last edited:
My garage is a mess and everything has been just piled up. So I spent most of my free time cleaning and looking for a pinion flange today. Did not find it. Guess it has been scrapped. Now do I look in the scrap trailer or just bite the bullet and buy it again. I already hauled away one load this fall and its very possible it was in it.

Last edited:
I am trying to work about 30 minutes every evening in the garage before I go to work. So this evening I put the tank in and then set the seat in. Looks like something will need to be changed. Will need to raise the seat or cut it for clearance. If its raised the drivers seat will need to be raised also. If cut I believe there will be an issue with the springs. So it looks that the first attempt will be raise the seat about 1".

Last edited:
Garage cleaning today. Tired of tripping over all the junk. Just 40 parts here. Still have things boxed up from our move here almost 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Nooooo, not the bucket :eek:

Raised the passenger seat up 1". Looks like it will be enough clearance for the fuel lines. I dug out another 72 seat frame I had. Will cut the legs off both seats and reweld on the better seat frame 1" longer legs. Drivers seat is moved back some but still need to raise it up. Also experimented making the center seat fold down. Now to drill a hole in the firewall for the computer harness. Will mount the computer in the glovebox. Using @Downey template for the bracket. There is an extra hole in the dash that I will use for the check engine light.

Last edited:
Well I am just beaming with so much intelligence I am surprised everyone isnt blind.

Took my seats to my upholstery guy. Was talking to him about redoing them and said I needed to raise the seat. He looked at it for a few seconds and said "why dont you put the metal seat bottom on top of the tube frame and cut the springs off 1" or buy new springs the correct length. Will look exactly like the factory did" well I stood there thinking about myself, you dumba$$ why didn't you think of that. Probably will just buy new springs since these are 45 years old. Plenty of clearance for fuel lines now.

Last edited:
Finished welding the seat botton on top of the frame. Hard to see from pictures but there is quite a bit more clearance between seat and fuel pump fittings. Now to modify the drivers seat. Needs raised maybe 1" and moved back a couple inches. Might explore ordering taller springs for drivers seat first.

Last edited:
Was looking how the drivers seat hardware is mounted. Anything I done to raise it created problems slse where. Then I thought, weld the seat bases together. Will need to drill holes in bottom base so the nuts can be attached to the seat studs. Its raised about 3/4". Called several upholstery supply places. Not one of them had a seat coil spring the diameter that would work without major cutting. So not to cut one coil off each spring on the passenger seat. Only need to cut 28 springs. Now the tube frames are almost the same height.

Last edited:
Need to modify the center seat/armrest release lever. Will cut into the drivers seat in current style. Heated it up and bent it around a 1/4" bolt. Might cut it off and weld the hole up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom