Intro thread hi from fo mo, CO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
been looking at lc for awhile. Finally got me one today. 1991. 67k miles apparently. Need to car fax that. Blown head gasket. Into just the vehicle for 1900

Not sure what I doin to it. Mainly wanna get the head gasket fixed then drive it around a bit and find out what else is broken.

Then need to find some good trails in the area (Fort Morgan, CO) to keep it close to home while we feel each other out. Big public land up in new raymer area north of me.

Local (ehrlich?) Toyota to me have same price on parts as any of them or how does that work? Cheaper to mail order then from a certain Toyota dealer?

And anyone real close with a fsm to peak at? Or maybe library? Been reading up on these a bit, finding pitfalls Etc.

15F491FF-235A-4CE1-A81D-882D4AB8E8A8.jpeg

4089793C-E98D-4291-9390-E9458F9F1F78.jpeg

B7248DEB-B2BC-4E6D-A2FF-616C93C48745.jpeg

9CFCA1F7-A70F-4913-A02D-E9B71BA1B25C.jpeg

67k miles seems suspect. But miles are irrelevant anyway.

What leads you to believe the HG is blown? 91-92 are very rare to blow a HG. To the point the truck would have to be run really, really hot. Only heard of a handful or so over the years. The 93-97 are more common but still rare to blow a HG.

Nice rig btw. And that is the best color for an 80. (I have two 92s that color).

Your rig also has 93+ wheels on it. You positive it is a 91? It's possible that someone picked up later year wheels... Post a pic of the engine and interior. Or VIN plate.

I think I’ve seen that one on Craigslist, that low of miles did seem suspect but who knows? Check out the horse tooth forum for folks up north, and the rising sun crowd meets every month in golden and has an active forum as well and we are spread all over denver. We have a Christmas party coming up you could join us for. Some local dealerships offer club discounts if you’re a member or TLCA member, not sure how Ehrlick does it though.

Your rig also has 93+ wheels on it. You positive it is a 91? It's possible that someone picked up later year wheels... Post a pic of the engine and interior. Or VIN plate.

Looks like the "thin" flares to me, plus clear glass all around. 1:43am.... You seem a litte tired.;)

Radiator has yeller fluid in it and was used up at a boys camp in Durango so it’s mostly believable. I expect radiator to be sludged up pretty good as well as overflow

Original sales invoice in the glove box. Here’s a engine compartment shot from yesterday... 2 Toyota labeled keys. Unsure if original. At this moment I only commenting on the silly stuff as I haven’t got into the guts yet...

BBFB0149-AB22-4C99-B1BC-3A17D77B97BC.jpeg

5D24CAFC-4BC1-44A2-BE81-3C433B4AE022.jpeg

E3A3A8AC-DC3B-4961-91FC-7B80D5BA2A1E.jpeg

Looks like the "thin" flares to me, plus clear glass all around. 1:43am.... You seem a litte tired.;)

Yes. Good catch. My 93 has clear glass...but the stupid bigger flares. Well, what’s left of them...

I run green coolant in two of my 80s. Just haven’t switched the third. Red is no better than green. Just make sure you flush it out well.

Cooling system overhaul is one of the first things I’d do.

What makes you suspect a blown HG? Have you pulled the plugs and checked to see if any are steam cleaned? Have you done a compression test?

Might as well pull the head off and take a look, if I were you I’d replace all kinds of stuff while you’re in there and if it’s legal, trash the smog setup.

If I were you, I'd change the oil and get a test kit. It's a cylinder that sits in place of the radiator cap, with a fluid that changes color when exposed to exhaust gases.

I didn't see the exhaust first hand, so take this with a grain of salt, but my '94 pumps out more exhaust vapor than any vehicle I've driven, until it's really warmed up.

The milky dipstick could just be condensation from too many short trips.

I wouldn't leave milky oil in the crankcase any longer than necessary. You could also have a cracked head (have it checked when you get it off the engine, before replacing the gasket).

If I were you, I'd change the oil and get a test kit. It's a cylinder that sits in place of the radiator cap, with a fluid that changes color when exposed to exhaust gases.

I didn't see the exhaust first hand, so take this with a grain of salt, but my '94 pumps out more exhaust vapor than any vehicle I've driven, until it's really warmed up.

The milky dipstick could just be condensation from too many short trips.

My 93 looks like Casper is chasing it. I thought it was a HG but I’m just burning oil like crazy. It’s getting past the rings.

I’d get a block tester from autozone or wherever and get a definitive answer. Rather than speculate.

Unless you are just itching to tear her apart...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom