Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Might as well do a 4:1 gear set while your in there
I like the way you think...I may have to stand on the corner with a sign for a week or two to afford it though...

...What else were you thinking? ...

So, you think, “self, I’m gunna get some injectors cleaned, pull the plenum and fuel rail, and swap in those cleaned injectors. You should pat yourself on the back!”

Then you get serious and write your parts list for gaskets and such...

now, if you’re average delusional, you’ll stick to the basics, like beer, a plenum gasket, cause, you’ll likely bugger the old 30 year old gasket when you take the trusty ol big reglur screwdriver and try to jamb it in there between the plenum and intake to work loose the plenum cause you forgot the hidden Allen bolt (begin test 1 now),

If you’re a bit less common, you might consider things like a roll of those pretty blue pepper towels, and meybe some real useful stuff like a fuel filter, and maybe an air filter, heck, you might actually get the gaskets that go on the stuff bolted to the plenum, so you can take off all the goods and get that big ol hunk of luminum ready to paint some shade of murder orange, right? Fancy!

Smarter still get that there are things like FPPDs and FPRs, and that those things have gaskets made of hard copper rings, and lines that don’t just move right out of your way! You definitely got that you had to pull the cold start injector and that marking the vacuum lines was prolly a good ideer, I reckon, and that you should prolly check out mud for a download of the fsm...

That’s when reality knocks. Did you get the fuel injector damper bushings? Did you get the fuel injector spacers? Did you get the fuel injector spacer to manifold orings? Did you get an intake and exhaust manifold gasket? Did you get downpipes donuts? Do you know how close you are to getting to replace that 30 year old head gasket?

Then things start to snowball, and you’re dumping 4600 bucks into an antiquated soon to be obsolete motor that only a handful of sick people even see the golden value in, only to rip it out 6 months later for a vortex... vortec, whatever you common folk call them things...

Oh, it didn’t need my help...

I’m sorry, I mighta trailed off a bit just there...

Good stuff. I understand that thought process. Laying there under the rig looking up at everything, thinking about dropping the Transmission and TC as one, the oil pan's a little wet, redo the RMS, oil pan gasket, how many more miles does the transmission have, have to check crank and rod bearings when the pan's off, break the transmission down and replace clutches and seals, what if the transmission is fine, couldn't get a valid test drive because TC has an issue, do I want to pull the TC only to do it again if the transmission has issues, maybe the TC is why it was parked in the first place, no trace of clutch material in the transmission fluid, maybe it was toast and they replaced filter and fluid a decade ago....I here ya bud.

The plan as of now is I am just going to pull the Transfer Case and leave the transmission and have a look, I've never taken one apart on vehicle so it will at least be different.

Take a break from all this mechanical work and wax the outside. I’m dying to know how well it will clean up!
We have been hitting it with different cleaners and polishes in between projects. It's hard to get a good pic in here but the paints in pretty good shape..on 95% or so..

IMG_8455.JPG

IMG_8456.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

if you run the TC in neutral does it still grind? if not then you could run it in drive and maybe get a small feel for if the tranny isn't toast

if you run the TC in neutral does it still grind? if not then you could run it in drive and maybe get a small feel for if the tranny isn't toast
I started pulling the case, removing drive flanges and such...there are some issues. Should have it apart tomorrow.

''Twas weeks before Christmas..
Ground covered in frost
The sound in the air...
3F with open exhaust
A squeeze of the thumb
A shift of the lever
From under the rig arose such a clatter
I sprung into action to see what's the matter...

IMG_8459.JPG

IMG_8460.JPG

IMG_8462.JPG

That’s a bummer!! What’s your plan of action?
I was going to head to the bank and add Georg as a joint account holder and go from there hehe. He will be in touch later today. Hopefully he has a rebuildable one laying around and I'll pick it up and a TT kit.

Ouch man that hurts!! Almost seems like the PO didn't quite have it in gear and just tried ramming it through something.

Ouch man that hurts!! Almost seems like the PO didn't quite have it in gear and just tried ramming it through something.
I was thinking the same, maybe rocking from D to R trying to get unstuck...maybe doing Neutral drops to try and peel out. Whatever happened, I think we may have found the root cause of why it was parked many moons ago.

OMG that is uuuugllyyyy. At least you can fix it however you want:).
...and a total TOTAL PITA to pull apart. The idler shaft was frozen to the rear case and everything else was just stuck. I would get a 1/4" separation, try to pound the idler shaft in...just pushed the case back on...eventually it came apart with idler shaft and gears with the rear case. A hard fought battle today.
I like the look at the bright side thinking. Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom