Freeze plug replacement on head while on the vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done some searches and found info pertaining to the freeze plugs on the block and while the engine or head is out. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully replaced the freeze plug on the back of the cylinder head while still on the vehicle? The space seems pretty tight and I'm wondering if I get the old one out, if I could press the new one in? This is on by 88 FJ62. I just did the head gasket and assumed the head was ready to bolt on per Cruiserparts.

Thanks for any info,
Pete

I tried to do the back plug and failed. Too hard to access it. I ended up boggiing the leak with some of that knead exhaust putty.
That lasted until I had to replace the head gasket maybe a year later.
I bet someone has managed to do this with motor still in . Would love to know how.

Trollhole cruisers replaced mine early this year however the head had to be pulled!

If you want to fix a leak and you cannot remove and replace the freeze plug, here is what I did and it worked.
Drain the coolant.
Scrub/scour the freeze plug with course emery cloth and acetone,
Get some of that knead it muffler putty. Looks like blu-tak.
Knead some putty and push it firmly into the plug, and make sure to push it hard into the leak hole.
Keep some spare putty just in case it leaks again later.

Well, I did the clean and band-aid with the putty. I couldn't think of how to remove and press in the new freeze plug. Although I wish I could do the proper fix, I am somewhat relieved that I didn't botch the head gasket job. I didn't really think about the freeze plug in the head needing replaced when I ordered a replacement head from cruiserparts. The sort of thing that doesn't cross your mind until it becomes an issue. If this gets me by until warmer weather, I will be content with that. I assume doing the head the second time will take me much less time than the first.
Thanks for all the advice.
Pete

FWIW,

Many years ago Marv Spector was showing me an FJ40 he brought over from Saudi Arabia.
He pointed out a welded patch on the firewall above the tunnel, and commented that it was very common to see this repair from that part of the world when accessing freeze plugs on the back of the engine.

Many years ago Marv Spector was showing me an FJ40 he brought over from Saudi Arabia.
He pointed out a welded patch on the firewall above the tunnel, and commented that it was very common to see this repair from that part of the world when accessing freeze plugs on the back of the engine.

....Probably made easier by a lack of a heater in those countries!

RE: the FJ62 - I would not cobble a repair with putty, etc. - if this repair fails, you're either stranded or you overheat and fry the engine. Fix it correctly! Pull the engine or head, and you'll thank yourself for having a more reliable truck down the road.

band aid is not ideal, but will hopefully last. Pulling the engine or head to fix it, eeek too much work. I think pulling the head would be easier than pulling the motor.
Let us know if it leaks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom