Importing to California, bad news?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a HJ47 sitting in California and it has been sitting there for 9 months due to trouble getting it registered,

It was a sweet ride too, has Over Drive and Power Steering.. was excited to get it rebuilt..

I've been doing a lot of research on this exact topic, and had concluded that registering an imported diesel in CA is essentially impossible.

One importer that I spoke to said that if I get the vehicle imported to and titled in another state (e.g. WA) I can easily transfer the title to CA. But after speaking with CARB, I think this is incorrect.

Does anyone have direct experience with this?

Land Cruisers Direct has sold several vehicles into California with no problems. This one just a couple weeks ago: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/righty-moves-to-san-diego.840721/

http://www.landcruisersdirect.com

Yep, Steve from Land Cruisers Direct actually just pointed me to that thread.

Sounds promising -- but what I've heard/read is that it's no problem getting a temporary registration and plates from the local DMV, but then the Sacramento office writes several weeks later and says more info is needed. Not trying to be discouraging, but definitely want to avoid that result!

Historically, you are OK if it was already titled in another state prior to California. California just doesn't want to be the first state to title an import.

That said, I've imported straight into California and gotten titles...

but what I've heard/read is that it's no problem getting a temporary registration and plates from the local DMV, but then the Sacramento office writes several weeks later and says more info is needed.

Where did you hear this from?

Here's another BJ70 from LCD. She picked it up in Missouri, drove it home to Santa Barbara and then drove it to Cruiser Outfitters in SLC several months later. It had CA plates on it at that time.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=114850485248004&story_fbid=852492898150422

Collin80 said:
Not trying to be discouraging, but definitely want to avoid that result!

Yeah for sure, good to be cautious.

LCD guarantees it. Look at the question "Is it legal..." here:

http://www.landcruisersdirect.com/faq/

Where did you hear this from?

It happened to me, for one.

Here's another BJ70 from LCD. She picked it up in Missouri, drove it home to Santa Barbara and then drove it to Cruiser Outfitters in SLC several months later. It had CA plates on it at that time.

You will not be able to complete a direct grey market diesel registration in CA. Do people slip through the cracks sometimes, due to mistake made at the DMV, or clever lies? Yes, definitely. However you shouldn't count on it.

If you register in another state first, and THEN transfer it to CA, you'll have no problems.

Both scenarios, direct import to CA, and transfer from another state, are technically legal. However if you try direct import and you're asked for The Toyota Letter (which you cannot obtain) or a CARB diesel certification test, you're fxxxed. Its an effective ban on direct diesel imports. Register elsewhere first, don't roll the dice.

Last edited:
It happened to me, for one.

You're referring to a problem with direct import? Yes, I think that's what's being said.

Direct import = potential problems
Titled in another state first = no problems

Yep, Steve from Land Cruisers Direct actually just pointed me to that thread.

Sounds promising -- but what I've heard/read is that it's no problem getting a temporary registration and plates from the local DMV, but then the Sacramento office writes several weeks later and says more info is needed. Not trying to be discouraging, but definitely want to avoid that result!

I received the CA title for the above referenced truck shortly after my visit to DMV. A week or so later, I received another envelope from DMV and was half afraid to open it, thinking the folks in Sacramento changed their minds. Thankfully it was just a registration renewal notice for another vehicle. Sigh of relief.

Hey sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just moved to CA and am having difficulty registering my '85 Surf here. I came from North Carolina, where it was titled and registered for a little under 18 months. Before that it was titled and registered in CO, for over a year. I explained to folks at the DMV and ARB, both of whom were either clueless or didn't care. Apparently, having a valid out of state title for over a year is irrelevant. has anyone had a similar experience, and if so how did you sort it out? the only place that will test/certify my truck is located about 9 hours away, and probably costs a ton...

Not sure if you ever got a response to your question, calux. I don't know the answer. I just know that legally unless it's diesel and 1979 or older, it can't be registered in CA per DMV regulations. There are a couple exceptions but most people don't fall into the exceptions. The fact that some have succeeded in importing them to CA and getting them registered here doesn't mean it's legal. It just means they got lucky. In my own research, came upon these guys who seem to know the law: California Buyer | Toprank International Vehicle Importers

My question is whether I can import a 1981 HJ47 vehicle to California but not register it here. I don't want CBP refusing to clear it thru customs when I'm not going to register it in California. This is an old thread so not sure anyone's going to respond. I do know there are a couple people recently who have imported them to CA but one isn't responding fand the other I can't remember who it is.

Have brought 6 Aussie cruisers into California, no problem, they don’t care where or what happens to the trucks, as long as they get through customs, you can do as you please.

Have brought 6 Aussie cruisers into California, no problem, they don’t care where or what happens to the trucks, as long as they get through customs, you can do as you please.

Thanks, whitey45. Really appreciate the response. Did you import them into LA/LB? Do you think it makes a difference which port it goes to? (I understand LB is a trading partner with Australia and LA isn't and am wondering if that helps or doesn't make a difference). Were your imports recent (last couple years?)

Quick update after a few months of fighting with the DMV and ARB: I have been told repeatedly by representatives from both organizations that there is a no-exceptions ban on registering so-called "direct import" vehicles unless they go through ARB's testing and compliance procedures. This is assuming your vehicle doesn't have an EPA Certificate of Compliance (it almost definitely doesn't, and EPA Form 3520 doesn't count as a conforming document) or the Toyota Letter (I spoke with a rep from Toyota of North America in Plano, TX and they don't issue the Letter anymore. To anyone. Ever. Not sure if they ever did.)

So, assuming you don't have those two unobtainable documents, you have to drop your truck off at California Environmental Engineering in Santa Ana and having them run it on their FTP (federal testing procedure) dyno setup. They are the only company licensed by the ARB to run these tests, and apparently it's about $1,500/hour. After that, they tell you what "repairs" need to happen (i.e. what you need to have installed, refurbished, etc.) to meet ARB's emissions thresholds, which are just U.S. EPA standards that California enforces as a matter of state law to undercut the 21-year EPA exemption. I haven't gotten an exact dollar amount for this, but it's easily thousands of dollars (think new OEM cat, new OEM injectors, rebuilt injector pump, full engine rebuild, etc.). Again, they're the only business in CA that ARB works with, so they can essentially write their own paycheck. This process takes "up to several months," according to the company.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to be careful before bringing in any out-of-country truck to CA. The DMV will not listen to you, nor will ARB, no matter how special or unique your situation is. I brought my '85 Surf here after visiting the CA DMV's website and seeing, in plain English, language that said I could register it here no problem. I got here and they refused. I bought a cheap Civic to get to work while I sorted everything out. Well, the Civic got burned up in the north bay fires, along with my house and all my stuff except the Surf, which started right up and let me roll my ass out of the neighborhood while my in-laws crept around fallen tree branches in their Tesla (no disrespect to teslas, they're pretty cool to be honest). I wrote a letter to the DMV explaining the situation, and included screenshots of the misleading language on their website. They didn't care. They didn't admit fault, nor were they willing to acknowledge the hardship they had created (or the thousands of dollars I had spent due to their mistake). Didn't care in the slightest. I'm only telling you this so that you don't fall into the same nightmare situation I did. Please just be careful. CA is a beautiful state run by well-meaning idiots.

Quick update after a few months of fighting with the DMV and ARB: I have been told repeatedly by representatives from both organizations that there is a no-exceptions ban on registering so-called "direct import" vehicles unless they go through ARB's testing and compliance procedures. This is assuming your vehicle doesn't have an EPA Certificate of Compliance (it almost definitely doesn't, and EPA Form 3520 doesn't count as a conforming document) or the Toyota Letter (I spoke with a rep from Toyota of North America in Plano, TX and they don't issue the Letter anymore. To anyone. Ever. Not sure if they ever did.)

So, assuming you don't have those two unobtainable documents, you have to drop your truck off at California Environmental Engineering in Santa Ana and having them run it on their FTP (federal testing procedure) dyno setup. They are the only company licensed by the ARB to run these tests, and apparently it's about $1,500/hour. After that, they tell you what "repairs" need to happen (i.e. what you need to have installed, refurbished, etc.) to meet ARB's emissions thresholds, which are just U.S. EPA standards that California enforces as a matter of state law to undercut the 21-year EPA exemption. I haven't gotten an exact dollar amount for this, but it's easily thousands of dollars (think new OEM cat, new OEM injectors, rebuilt injector pump, full engine rebuild, etc.). Again, they're the only business in CA that ARB works with, so they can essentially write their own paycheck. This process takes "up to several months," according to the company.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to be careful before bringing in any out-of-country truck to CA. The DMV will not listen to you, nor will ARB, no matter how special or unique your situation is. I brought my '85 Surf here after visiting the CA DMV's website and seeing, in plain English, language that said I could register it here no problem. I got here and they refused. I bought a cheap Civic to get to work while I sorted everything out. Well, the Civic got burned up in the north bay fires, along with my house and all my stuff except the Surf, which started right up and let me roll my ass out of the neighborhood while my in-laws crept around fallen tree branches in their Tesla (no disrespect to teslas, they're pretty cool to be honest). I wrote a letter to the DMV explaining the situation, and included screenshots of the misleading language on their website. They didn't care. They didn't admit fault, nor were they willing to acknowledge the hardship they had created (or the thousands of dollars I had spent due to their mistake). Didn't care in the slightest. I'm only telling you this so that you don't fall into the same nightmare situation I did. Please just be careful. CA is a beautiful state run by well-meaning idiots.

So sorry to hear about your losses in the fires. That sucks. I grew up in FL and lost a few things to hurricanes over the years. At least you and the family are safe.

As for CA...CA is a beautiful state run by well-meaning idiots...FIFY

I had similar issues getting my 85 FJ60 to pass smog when I lived in Phoenix. The PHX emissions rules require that the vehicle have the OE emissions stuff on it if it was 1967 or newer. No 21 or 25 year exemptions - 1967 and forward. They didn't care that all the little VSVs and stuff to get the emissions system to work right were unobtainium, or how much you had to spend to get it all squared away. I finally got fed up and registered the truck in Montana, where they don't care about that stuff and give you a permanent registration if the vehicle is more than 11 years old :flipoff2:

Here are the relevant CA DMV sites plus another that also includes info about the registering a foreign vehicle in CA. I would challenge Steve at LCD and anyone else who says titling it in another state = no problems. Cite me CA DMV chapter and verse cause I don't see it anywhere. Like everything else, you can get away with it but from my reading, it's not legal outside of the very, very limited exceptions stated in one of the sites below. Been successful at doing it does not equal legal to do it.
Registering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" car in California
Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? (FFVR 29)
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/checklists/outofstate

Vehicle Importation: Understanding the 25 Year Old Rule

Like some of you, California is messed up and if it weren't for the beaches and nice weather, I'd be gone.

Forgot to list In n Out and the Hollywood studios as other reasons to live in CA

For anyone that's interested, check out the difference in langauge on the DMV's website. Note the dates on the bottom right of each screenshot. I would argue that the language on the website as it appeared on 8/30/17 (two months after I got here) suggests that I could reg and title my rig here without issue, since it was reg'd and titled in my home state for 18 months prior to moving here.

This is a good example of two huge issues in CA and elsewhere in the U.S.: 1) This and other situations like it could potentially be brought to court, but unless you're a multi-millionaire with a lot of time you don't stand a chance against an organization like the DMV, and 2) the DMV doesn't have to answer to consumers, since they have no competition for their services and motorists are forced to use them, and they don't have to answer to voters since their leadership doesn't hold political office. They can get away with their behavior because no one is in a position to hold them accountable for anything.

Attachments

• CA DMV Direct Import language as of 8-30-17.pdf
    493.7 KB · Views: 132
  • CA DMV Direct Import language as of 9-1-17.pdf
    261 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom