Fuel filler door/opening shape. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I found a nice 77 FJ40 that I'm considering buying but I noticed something that I'm hoping the 40 experts could offer some help on.

It seems as though the fuel filler opening came in two different shapes/styles (see attached pics). There is an oval type and a rectangular one. Do you know what years came equipped with each type?

I'm asking because I'm pretty sure that the 77 came with a rectangular opening but the one that I'm looking at has an oval type. I know that most of the body panels on this vehicle have been replaced during a restoration back about 10 years ago. I'm curious if they used restored quarters off of an older model. If they did would anything else possibly cause issues for later? For example, if I tried to find a hard top for a "77" and then realized it wouldn't fit because of the older quarters?

Also, on this particular vehicle the id plate is missing under the hood most likely removed or lost during the restoration. Is there anyway to find out what came equipped with the vehicle (original color, trans, etc) with just the vin? With this plate missing does it impact the ability to sell the vehicle and what it is worth?

Thanks for any help that can be offered with this.

Rob

oval2.JPG

rectangle.jpg

Its an earlier tub.
Has the earlier door catches as well.
Thanks Brian. Those were just example pictures of the door shapes that I pulled off of a google seach.

Right now as the truck I'm looking at sits, it has a soft top and doors. Here are pictures of the actual fuel opening and door catches that are on it now. I wonder if that would cause some issues as well if I tried to source hard doors. Thanks for bringing that up.

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9287.jpg

Well, there’s a first!

The door shown on the blue FJ40 was the arrangement from 7209 (Sept 1972) through 7901. That would be the one for a '77 FJ40.

The fuel filler on the green FJ40 was the arrangement up until 7209. Your picture with a door on the oval opening is a custom job.

Regarding VIN plates, if you're considering buying, insist on seeing the clear title for the vehicle. The VIN should be on the driver's A pillar (the side the hinges are on) and on the outboard side of the frame, passenger side, behind the front bumper supports. It may be covered in paint or undercoating. The number will be something like "2 FJ40 123456" If the truck you are looking at is really a 1977 frame and drive train, you can look up the month and date of manufacture on the SOR.COM website.

Well, there’s a first!
The door shown on the blue FJ40 was the arrangement from 7209 (Sept 1972) through 7901. That would be the one for a '77 FJ40.

The fuel filler on the green FJ40 was the arrangement up until 7209. Your picture with a door on the oval opening is a custom job.

Regarding VIN plates, if you're considering buying, insist on seeing the clear title for the vehicle. The VIN should be on the driver's A pillar (the side the hinges are on) and on the outboard side of the frame, passenger side, behind the front bumper supports. It may be covered in paint or undercoating. The number will be something like "2 FJ40 123456" If the truck you are looking at is really a 1977 frame and drive train, you can look up the month and date of manufacture on the SOR.COM website.

Thanks for that information.

The VIN plate is on the A pillar and the title matches - also matches the frame VIN. What I was referring to is the tag that is on the firewall or passenger side fender that has the paint code and other info.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks for that information.

The VIN plate is on the A pillar and the title matches - also matches the frame VIN. What I was referring to is the tag that is on the firewall or passenger side fender that has the paint code and other info.

Thanks,

Rob

So, if your tub, firewall and fenders are from a donor truck, pre 7209, there wasn't a plate that included paint codes and 'other info.' Even new from the factory.

So, if your tub, firewall and fenders are from a donor truck, pre 7209, there wasn't a plate that included paint codes and 'other info.' Even new from the factory.
I was told that only the hood, cowl and windshield were the only body panels not replaced. I'm starting to think this isn't a good idea ;)

Definitely a later model A pillar. Late model door limiter setup.

Isn't the striker plate for the door on the beige color for an aftermarket soft door?

Isn't the striker plate for the door on the beige color for an aftermarket soft door?

Yes, the striker plate looks that way. And the soft top is definitely not OEM.

Mark had a good catch on the door limiter slot, just right of the passenger kick vent.

Also, note the Km/hr speedometer. I meant to say the -30 +30 Ammeter. I thought that higher output alternators were in the later trucks. Maybe not.

Could be a non-USA 10/76 FJ40? :hmm:

Last edited:
yeap more than likely there would be issues getting hard doors on that, maybe even a hard top.
looks like a later firewall and an early 3/4 tub.
probably why it has a softtop on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom