Breakfasts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is the most delicious thing I have ever seen! Dang...the brine looks like a meal in itself! So you smoked the belly and then pan fried after?

Thanks! The only thing I would do is brine longer. I went overnight, but a full day may have been better.

I did pan fry after smoking. I didn't get it anywhere near bacon-level crispy, but just enough to render a little fat and put a slight crust on both sides.

Holy cow that thing was delicious. I wish I could take credit for dreaming it up, but the idea came to me all at once, like a vision. It was a gift from the universe!

Started the year off right this morning. Went to the gym (normal routine... not a new resolution) Came home and made Grand Marnier french toast and bacon and washed it down with a grapefruit and orange mimosa.

1. 4 large eggs.
  2. 3/4 cup half and half.
  3. 1/4 cup Grand Marnier.
  4. 2 tablespoons sugar.
  5. 1 tablespoon grated orange peel.
  6. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
  7. 8 3/4-inch-thick French bread slices.
HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!

J

These are great grab and go meals for a quick get away in the morning much tastier and cheaper than the store bought bars.

4-Ingredient Banana Oat Bars

Makes 9 squares.
2 large, very ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 cup pitted, chopped dried dates
1/4 cup chopped nuts — such as walnuts, hazelnuts, or pecans
Grated nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)

Heat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-x9-inch square baking dish with olive oil or butter.

Peel the bananas and mash their flesh in a medium mixing bowl. Mash very thoroughly until no large chunks remain; the bananas should be essentially liquid. (You will have between 1 cup and 1 1/4 cup.) Stir in the vanilla, if using. Add the oats and stir them in. Stir in the salt, dates, and nuts.

Pat the thick mixture evenly into the baking pan. If desired, sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg or cinnamon. Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges just begin to crisp up.

Place the baking pan on a rack to cool. When the pan is mostly cool, cut into bars and enjoy.

Store leftover bars at room temperature. They will keep for about 5 days.

I try to eat healthy when I camp, especially when i am by myself. Last time out I did leftover steak tips from the previous night, arugula and eggs, salt and pepper all scrambled together.

20170521_084006.jpg

Surprise to not find a dedicated "Breakfasts" thread...so here goes:

This is stupid simple...so simple I'm almost embarrassed to post it here :D

Leftover baked potato and peel: Grated and sauteed in the cast iron with a little sunflower oil; salt of course; love the extra texture component the fried grated potato peel brings to the 'browns.

Leftover pulled pork caramelized in the same cast iron...until slightly crunchy on the outside but still tender on the inside.

Simple sunny side up egg: In a 1/2T butter, sea salt and my favorite fried egg topping: Chopped smoked habanero (try it...you'll be hard pressed to eat a fried egg without it!). Chipotles just don't stand a chance against home-smoked habaneros...

This is the way breakfast went for me today. And of course camp worthy also.

And a photo for e9999's benefit :flipoff2:

Man, it may be simple but you have made me hungry already!

may have been covered but I'll drop this in (then review the thread's entirety).

Dutchie and pop-can cinnamon rolls, with of course (thick-cut peppered bacon!) on he side .
1571672000262.png
1571672011148.png
1571672022833.png
1571672034836.png

(rolls pictured from 2 different trips ;)
1571672047748.png

Last edited:
Christmas morning puff pastry cinnamon rolls. First time using puff pastry...and won’t be the last 😉
67BEF92F-63C4-4327-8275-C35087D19CB5.jpeg

A half dozen or so eggs (Vary as needed). Break into a plastic bag with diced sweet onions, poblano/bell peppers, jalapenos as desired; place in cooler. In camp, fry one pound chorizo (home made or store bought), add egg mixture and cook to desired consistency. Serve with flour tortillas heated on grill and favorite sauce (suggest: El Yucateca habanero). Leftovers can go into hunting pack for lunch.

Don't forget the cheese! Also "505" Hatch pepper green sauce is great with eggs!

Last edited:
Dang, that looks good.

oh wait, it's mine.
Re-run coming up on Saturday! :hillbilly:
One year in elk camp, my botanist collected a bunch of fresh morels and sautéed them with butter & garlic! That was for dinner, and not breakfast though!

I try to eat healthy when I camp, especially when i am by myself. Last time out I did leftover steak tips from the previous night, arugula and eggs, salt and pepper all scrambled together.

View attachment 1470986
Just good old B&E with toast, and sauteed fresh button mushroom, fennel, garlic, S&P, oregano, butter, and a splash of white wine vinegar.

And coffee

View attachment 2492120
mudgudgeon - is that breakfast or dinner??

:)

One year my wife signed on for an elk-deer-antelope camp in WY. Nobody wanted breakfast=just a donut or two and coffee. Came back about 10 and wanted a hot lunch. Then a sandwich before they went back out after a nap. We (head guide, her and I) had planned great meals but nobody wanted them! Not so bad, her "salary" paid for my deer hunt (4 x4 mulie), gas to and fro, and a side trip to her sister's in Boulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom