Sleeping in Your FJ Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Guys/Gals,

I recently retired, and after I get some things squared away, I have been contemplating a fairly ambitious, months-long circumnavigation around the North American continent -- including Alaska -- in my FJ (a red 2012 Trail Teams). I would probably mount a luggage pod of some kind on the roof rack and put most of my camping equipment up there, in order to leave more open room in the FJ's cabin. Although my intention would be to camp most nights, with perhaps a once-a-week luxurious respite in a motel/hotel (with shower, laundry, etc.), I can envision occasions when it might be necessary to sleep inside the FJ (miserable driving rain/snow/sleet; or signs of grizzly bears up north). Besides the option of sleeping in the reclined front seats, have any of you ever folded down the back seats, moved the front passenger seat all the way forward, and been able to squeeze in some kind of little cot, etc.?

No personal experience, but I have seen others build a dedicated platform inside the truck for a sleeping surface. To get the length you may need a panel that flips open once the pass seat was advanced forward. Others have tried pushing both seats forward and placing head between the seat uprights. Depends on how tall you are and how much wiggle room you need.

I would think from the pics that roof-top tents like ARB's would seem the most comfortable. Probably offering the most room.
On a personal note, I have not camped in 35 years. I would drive 200 miles for a hotel :)

Of course I would take along a nice roomy tent and all other necessary camping gear; sometimes it seems I've spent half my life camping. Please re-read my post more carefully; your response is irrelevant.

Maybe you could go out and see if it works while in your driveway . Most likely what I would do . Please post pics of your trip as I am planning on doing the Alaska drive next year myself .

Of course I would take along a nice roomy tent and all other necessary camping gear; sometimes it seems I've spent half my life camping. Please re-read my post more carefully; your response is irrelevant.

///your response is irrelevant.// You dont like roof top tents? or you dont like me?

Last edited:
your probably going to want to build a sleeping platform, thatll give you a nice flat surface to sleep on. depending on how much room you will need you may want to take the passenger seat out.

Hi, Guys/Gals,

I recently retired, and after I get some things squared away, I have been contemplating a fairly ambitious, months-long circumnavigation around the North American continent -- including Alaska -- in my FJ (a red 2012 Trail Teams). I would probably mount a luggage pod of some kind on the roof rack and put most of my camping equipment up there, in order to leave more open room in the FJ's cabin. Although my intention would be to camp most nights, with perhaps a once-a-week luxurious respite in a motel/hotel (with shower, laundry, etc.), I can envision occasions when it might be necessary to sleep inside the FJ (miserable driving rain/snow/sleet; or signs of grizzly bears up north). Besides the option of sleeping in the reclined front seats, have any of you ever folded down the back seats, moved the front passenger seat all the way forward, and been able to squeeze in some kind of little cot, etc.?[/QUOT

I recently drove my FJ to Northern Ontario from Florida and slept it in the back throughout most of my trip. I removed the bottom part of the rear seats to allow more room for stretching out and placed a cooler and a pelican box behind the passenger seat which extended my sleeping platform by about a foot or so. I also used a Therm-a-aRest sleeping pad (folded in half so it was twice it’s normal thickness) to elevate the rear of the cargo area to the same level as the folded down seat backs. I then placed another Therm-a-Rest on top of this platform. It worked out really well for just me. I was actually very comfortable...just a little tricky climbing into the back. It may be worth looking into figuring a way to close the rear door from the inside to make it easier to gain access.

I tried and found it IMPOSSIBLE to sleep in the rear of my FJ with the front seats pushed all the way forward. And I am only 5'-6" tall. How anyone can do it is beyond me.

Hello,

New to the fj cruiser side of the forum. Recently bought a 08. Enjoy sleeping in the vehicle instead of a tent. Built a set up that was able to clear 6'4" inches of space. Drawe system in the back, storage box in place of back seat and plank that flips up for the last part once the seats are all the way forward. I was able to modify front seats to get them to fold forward further. Picked up about 4 extra inches. It fits a queen size air mattress. Heading out to the desert this weekend to see how it sleeps

53203651546__7E553631-E047-421B-BCCA-D7261535E251.JPG

53404497909__A8A2E0AB-5445-4EF3-99B7-139F8044A7BF.JPG

53455802555__75A13DCD-1DC7-4B52-9D34-B24DE19F148C.JPG

53455520063__C7277B42-1840-436F-84E1-F08781F368DA.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

VERY well done, my friend -- my compliments.

I tried and found it IMPOSSIBLE to sleep in the rear of my FJ with the front seats pushed all the way forward. And I am only 5'-6" tall. How anyone can do it is beyond me.

maybe your taller then me(?). with my 5'6" height I sleep fairly comfortable with the rear driver's side seat folded down. and no issues sleeping in the back with both seats folded down.

for polarbear, for that long of a trip and lack of overall inside space I recommend a cot tent such as one from Kamprite that folds down like a camping chair . I have the Ozark cot tent. it packs away easily and fits on the floor behind the front seats. easy to set up and take down or a rtt mounted on a trailer

14138056_10210435678630605_5837352888438402546_o.jpg

25398340_10215078199890735_6543975531141009854_o.jpg

25352019_10215078203170817_6429051378734816244_o.jpg

Last edited:
with the refrigerator and everything else sleeping inside is a last resort.

KIMG0629_zpszzgb1zzr.jpg

Thanks -- very useful information.

perceived threat plays tricks on the mind for sure. whatever sleeping arrangement you decide on it sound like it'll be a fun trip! I hope I can save up and retire in 15-20yrs.(55-60yrs.old).

I've brought along a full size air mattress that fits pretty well but you can't have anything else in the back if you're gonna go this route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom