80 Series Leaking Transmission... NEED HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.
Recently my mates 80 series transmission started to leak oil, to be exact leaks out of bell housing when trans gets hot. Still drives mint and changes fine for an auto, no loss of power as such.
Not sure what the problem could be, has a new oil cooler and looking for anyone who might have an idea of what it could be. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated before we put it on a hoist :) Cheers

If it is coming out between the transmission and transfer case the tranny output and transfer case input seals need to be changed. They are the same part#. You will need two and can be changed out by removing the transfer case.
Got one to do this coming weekend.

Picture please

Watching this closely as I may have the same issue.

If it is coming out between the transmission and transfer case the tranny output and transfer case input seals need to be changed. They are the same part#. You will need two and can be changed out by removing the transfer case.
Got one to do this coming weekend.
Oh sweet thank you! Will start looking into where to find the seals now since im in new zealand :) Thank you!

Picture please
Hi all.
Recently my mates 80 series transmission started to leak oil, to be exact leaks out of bell housing when trans gets hot. Still drives mint and changes fine for an auto, no loss of power as such.
Not sure what the problem could be, has a new oil cooler and looking for anyone who might have an idea of what it could be. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated before we put it on a hoist :) Cheers

Picture please
Video of leaking transmission.

Hi all.
Video of leaking trans:

Oh sweet thank you! Will start looking into where to find the seals now since im in new zealand :) Thank you!

The transfer case input and transmission output are Toyota 90311-48016

What year/model 80 series do you have?

Was this resolved? What was it and what did you have to change?

Im having the same or similar problem on a 1993 FZJ80. It’s leaking with a slow drip from the bell housing, especially when the truck is running.

I bought the truck from a mechanic here on the big island of Hawaii who rebuilt the transmission. But then the truck sat for 5 years. It’s unlikely he used OEM seals as no OEM parts are stocked for the 80 series on island and are exhorbitant to buy from the dealership (and take a month to arrive).

The truck shifts fine with power etc. All gears and ECT work. Just needs to have trans fluid topped off after every time I drive it.

What seals / part numbers should I order to have on hand when the transmission is dropped to diagnose the problem?

i apologize for my ignorance, but is there any chance it could be accessed or fixed by just dropping the transfer case?

leak is DEFINITELY transmission fluid btw.

thank you

You need the seal behind the torque converter, will need to drop tranny, pull the torque converter and it is right there on the shaft, do your rear main while you are there
Was this resolved? What was it and what did you have to change?

Im having the same or similar problem on a 1993 FZJ80. It’s leaking with a slow drip from the bell housing, especially when the truck is running.

I bought the truck from a mechanic here on the big island of Hawaii who rebuilt the transmission. But then the truck sat for 5 years. It’s unlikely he used OEM seals as no OEM parts are stocked for the 80 series on island and are exhorbitant to buy from the dealership (and take a month to arrive).

The truck shifts fine with power etc. All gears and ECT work. Just needs to have trans fluid topped off after every time I drive it.

What seals / part numbers should I order to have on hand when the transmission is dropped to diagnose the problem?

i apologize for my ignorance, but is there any chance it could be accessed or fixed by just dropping the transfer case?

leak is DEFINITELY transmission fluid btw.

thank you

No it wouldn't unfortunately

With the transmission out, is it much easier to address the PHH?

Ummm.... Yes.
The starter is out, the trans dipstick is out, there's clearance to the rear of the engine from underneath.

Also do the hard heater lines if needed for the rear heater and the rear main seal, and the transmission seals.........

Ummm.... Yes.
The starter is out, the trans dipstick is out, there's clearance to the rear of the engine from underneath.

Also do the hard heater lines if needed for the rear heater and the rear main seal, and the transmission seals.........
I was off island so the mechanic I left it with wasn't willing to take on much extra other than fixing a leak in the torque converter and the rear main seal. But its running good and not leaking now. So at least I got one running 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom