Cot vs. pad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
looking at getting some cots to sleep on in our tent. I have several thermarest pads for the family, mine is the neoair which is really thick and awesome but I am wondering if a cot would be even more comfortable for longer trips. After a few nights on the air mattress I get sore. Any opinions on how comfortable a cot is vs. a good thermarest mattress? I have never slept in a cot yet.

Done both and without a doubt the thermarest on my XL single tent cot is unmatched.

sounds like a winner...

Wife and I run that same setup, cot w/ air mat on top (REI Camp Bed 3.5).

I use to use cot with airpad on top. Wasn't the best sleep I ever had, but was off the ground. When the family started coming, 4 cots, 4 air pads and 2 tents became too bulky though.

I use to use cot with airpad on top. Wasn't the best sleep I ever had, but was off the ground. When the family started coming, 4 cots, 4 air pads and 2 tents became too bulky though.

I'm about to enter this phase as the kids are growing up. What was your solution? I'm currently researching options in the realm of tent/sleeping setups. "Speed" of setup/takedown is high on my list, as is comfort (more for my wife). Also trying to stick w/in the packing confines of the truck cabin and not expand to roof or other. Currently I can fit our entire "week long" setup w/in these confines and still see out of the rear window. Last trip taking a kayak along was the first time I wished I had a non-OEM roof rack, though the OEM rack did work fine.

@Mogwai Rooftop tent and small trailer, and about add a roof top tent for the truck. When it's the 4 of us, the first 2 rows have people, the cargo area carries drawers, fridge slide, a box of dry food for the day, and a couple bags for common use items like jackets, chargers, etc. In the trailer, everyone has a box for their clothes and personal items, water, cooker, etc. We did one roof top tent and one ground tent for a while.... But HAVING to unpack the ground tent to clean it well and dry it out is a pain compared to the roof tops. Plus much more comfortable to sleep in the roof top tents and construction is superior. Last time we camped and a huge downpour flooded our ground tent, that was the last straw. It sucks having to buy and haul the big tents but as much as we go, it's worth it. If I know a big storm is going to come up, I just fold up the tents and we can ride it out in the truck.

If you travel light like you say, maybe you can do an inside sleeping system and one good ground tent with comfortable sleeping area (trial and error with that!). I found an air mattress that has a built in secondary pump that keeps the mattress (insta-bed) full all night and has 3 settings. Its not the best thing, but it's smaller than 2 cots and 2 air pads.

Last edited:
@Mogwai Rooftop tent and small trailer, and about add a roof top tent for the truck. When it's the 4 of us, the first 2 rows have people, the cargo area carries drawers, fridge slide, a box of dry food for the day, and a couple bags for common use items like jackets, chargers, etc. In the trailer, everyone has a box for their clothes and personal items, water, cooker, etc. We did one roof top tent and one ground tent for a while.... But HAVING to unpack the ground tent to clean it well and dry it out is a pain compared to the roof tops. Plus much more comfortable to sleep in the roof top tents and construction is superior. Last time we camped and a huge downpour flooded our ground tent, that was the last straw. It sucks having to buy and haul the big tents but as much as we go, it's worth it. If I know a big storm is going to come up, I just fold up the tents and we can ride it out in the truck.

If you travel light like you say, maybe you can do an inside sleeping system and one good ground tent with comfortable sleeping area (trial and error with that!). I found an air mattress that has a built in secondary pump that keeps the mattress (insta-bed) full all night and has 3 settings. Its not the best thing, but it's smaller than 2 cots and 2 air pads.

Quasi hijacking of thread haha... re: air mattress, I've been burnt too many times. It's just a matter of when you spring a leak and end up on the ground in the middle of the night. I'll still checkout that one you mentioned though, might be a solid option for the time being.

Can't do the RTT on truck, for a few reasons. I could on a trailer though, do love the trailer concept.

Yeah, I'm not a huge air mattress fan. I was pretty anal about checking the ground and taking care of the mattress when packing it or transporting it. Even with that bed I bought, it didn't hold it's shape after about 15 uses. Amazon replaced it, but they are still kind of a weak solution. Trailers are a good compromise, and tent size go waaaay big if you wanted to fit 4.

I was unsure of the trailer route initially, so I modified a Lowe's 3.5' x 5' utility trailer and it's worked out great (I don't use it heavy offroad). I bought the trailer used for $500 and it had bigger tires on it already and came with a storage box. I moved the axle under the springs, extended the tongue, mounted the storage box to tongue, and added a frame for a tent. I've got maybe $600 in my trailer (free labor) and bought my 48x56 tent used for $500. Shoot me a message if you need some photos or ideas.

I use both for different occasions. The cot is the winner for comfort. But it does not always fit for the trip due to being kinda bulky. If i have the space I bring it.

I use both for different occasions. The cot is the winner for comfort. But it does not always fit for the trip due to being kinda bulky. If i have the space I bring it.

why do you think the cot is more comfortable? I am not concerned too much with the bulkiness. I want something comfortable for longer trips and I just don't want to sleep on a pad on the ground for a whole week of camping. Thinking the cot should hopefully do the trick.

The cot is off the ground and suspended. The air mattress or pad is on the ground and even though they have some cushion I usually can still feel the rough ground. Not so much with the air mattress but you kind of sink in. Plus an air mattress in cooler weather can suck the heat out and make you colder.
Cot for the win

The cot is off the ground and suspended. The air mattress or pad is on the ground and even though they have some cushion I usually can still feel the rough ground. Not so much with the air mattress but you kind of sink in. Plus an air mattress in cooler weather can suck the heat out and make you colder.
Cot for the win
A few years ago I would have agreed about air mattress sucking the heat your of you, that was before I discovered filled air mattress. They come in down and synthetic and work great. Very comfortable.

Roll-a-Cot with a thermarest is unparalleled comfort. I can slip the air pad between the layers on the cot.
Ibex Roll-a-Cot ®, 74"L x 28"W x 15"H with 2-layer top and FREE Air Mattress
I also just bought a ExPed Megamat 10 MegaMat 10 MW
and after a week in my RTT with the Megamat - still not as comfortable as a cot.

Cot rules for comfort.

IMG_2225.JPG

I've used a thermarest for camping for decades. Usually a couple of weeks at a time on the ground (in a tent). I sleep on my side, and not had an issue of comfort or soreness. This with the older thin thermarest and since then have moved to the thicker units - nicer for sure. Sleeping bag/thermarest work for me - maybe you need to have a little extra sip of alcohol for a good night's sleep :)

cheers,
george.

That Therma-rest I use is from 1980. Fits perfectly in the cot. Still use the original 2 I bought back then. But not enough on the fiberglass floor of the RTT.

I've been using a surplus military cot with a thermarest on top. Probably the most comfy camp bed, plus you can store your gear under it and it makes getting dressed much easier. However, it is HEAVY and bulky so it's only used at base camp. For camping in the bush, I just use the thermarest. I'm looking at packable , light weight air mattress for future use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom