Shirley's Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Play time with pops.

IMG_7585.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG

@CaptClose @CenTXFJ60 @65swb45

Alright guys, I need your help. The issue I was having in August (right after installing the rebuilt carb) is back. It came back at the flip of a switch driving up an overpass last night and is still there this morning.

It seems like something is wrong with the fuel delivery. The engine sputters and almost dies on take off, but with the choke on it'll stay alive, but will kind of sputter unless I mash the pedal all the way down. It's so weird how this just happens so suddenly. Maybe something clogging a fuel line? I don't know... but this is now roughly the 3rd instance of this issue.

Also this may or may not be related... something else that has happened about 3-4 times in the last month (and happened again last night immediately after the truck started sputtering) is I hear what sounds like a rock getting kicked up towards the rear of the truck. It happens in the same place every time. Towards the rear driver side. Almost sounds like a nut came loose and hit the tire and bounced around a second, then it's gone.

This truck is full of gremlins.

Last edited:
@CaptClose @CenTXFJ60

Alright guys, I need your help. The issue I was having in August (right after I got this rebuilt carb) is back. It came back at the flip of a switch driving up an overpass last night and is still there this morning.

It seems like something is wrong with the fuel delivery. The engine sputters and almost dies on take off, but with the choke on it'll stay alive, but will kind of sputter unless I mash the pedal all the way down. It's so weird how this just happens so suddenly. Maybe something clogging a fuel line? I don't know... but this is now roughly the 3rd instance of this issue.

Also this may or may not be related... something else that has happened about 3-4 times in the last month (and happened again last night immediately after the truck started sputtering) is I hear what sounds like a rock getting kicked up towards the rear of the truck. It happens in the same place every time. Towards the rear driver side. Almost sounds like a nut came loose and hit the tire and bounced around a second, then it's gone.

Could be fuel filter? When was the last time you changed it.

@CaptClose @CenTXFJ60

Alright guys, I need your help. The issue I was having in August (right after I got this rebuilt carb) is back. It came back at the flip of a switch driving up an overpass last night and is still there this morning.

Man oh man Nick, you know I’m not the carb guy. That’s where Ryan comes in. I just move stuff around and see if I get lucky :)
Bring it up anytime and we can kick stuff around. That noise in the rear seems unusual. Can you get it to replicate or is it Random?

Man oh man Nick, you know I’m not the carb guy. That’s where Ryan comes in. I just move stuff around and see if I get lucky :)
Bring it up anytime and we can kick stuff around. That noise in the rear seems unusual. Can you get it to replicate or is it Random?

I know, I know.

Completely random. It may be good to get it up on the lift and see if there's anything glaringly wrong... or missing.

So awhile back well before the head rebuild I had my FCS on the carb hard wired to the carb body. I remember I was having that same really strange bucking and seemingly no fuel delivery as I was trying to get out of a parking lot. I sat and read some threads and decided to try hooking the FCS up the right way w/o the jumper and all the weird stuff went away. I believe when I shared how it seemed to cure the truck of its hiccups someone thought it might have somehow rebooted the EC (emissions computer).
You have a trollhole now? Or the Mark A rebuild right? I'm placing bets your EC is faulty and its signals aren't consistent. Is your tach bouncing around at all too?

Loaded the family, the pup, and the bike up and drove to Austin to hang out with some friends for the weekend. I’m curious how other people load their bike up in their wagons.

B9D4BBCA-DF63-41F0-BDB5-63417EC9AE5B.jpeg

19EED69D-8A0A-44BB-90DB-93EA439832A2.jpeg

E876CEA4-9A06-4C96-ABF1-BBCD5F9A2C99.jpeg

4EC9300D-E31A-4985-888E-C2EBDF09C9CE.jpeg

Also had some goodies waiting for me when I got back from Cruiser Corps. Toyota air filter, hood prop grommet, hood bumper stops, carb-to-air cleaner gasket, and and new speedo cable. Will be doing research tonight on how to install the new cable. Any pointers are welcome. I also have a new horn contact that I’ve been holding on to for a while that needs to be put in. One step at a time!

6684B2B9-7086-4797-A0CF-3BD890034B98.jpeg

C7A04283-F2C7-4507-9C2C-7D931BEA046C.jpeg

2A9B3368-1FFF-40AE-AE07-089443CE8EBC.jpeg

D523E689-59A6-4F33-B7E5-7DFD531ED3F4.jpeg

Fixed my intermittent horn problem. Got a new brass pin, but it ended up just being a bad connection. I can finally go get it inspected. My registration has been out for almost a year...

IMG_8043.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8047.JPG

IMG_8048.JPG

Never seen a dizzy look that bad. So what is the current status on your truck. Is it running better? Did you ever get your carb dialed in?

Never seen a dizzy look that bad. So what is the current status on your truck. Is it running better? Did you ever get your carb dialed in?

It’s still my daily driver. I’ve got a big vacuum leak at the intake manifold. It’s hard to commit to removing it to have it machined because that means my wife and I will be down to one car til it’s all put back together. I think the carb is fine. It’s a freshly rebuilt carb from Mark’s Off-road. I did notice that I’ve got excessive carbon build up on the choke side of the carb from fuel that’s not burning. This makes me think I might have a timing issue.

Dizzy cap, rotor, and a Denso wire kit are all in the mail, so it’ll be back on the road by Tuesday or Wednesday.

0A1C6585-10CD-4C47-B24A-32C7AA54D13A.jpeg

Well I was very close to trading Shirley straight up for this super clean 40th anniversary 80 series with just 113k miles (AluCab not included.) I was really torn. Looked like such a clean rig, and probably would’ve been a good idea, but ultimately I decided I couldn’t let go of the old girl.

So back on the grind - I fixed the backfire issue. I had the idle cut solenoid wired incorrectly. The previous owner got rid of the connectors and hard wired it for some reason. I thought I found the correct connection for it at Jim’s but guess we were wrong. Put a new connector on the other wires and she’s purring on decel again. Also found the cause of an annoyingly rattle. The heat shield around the cat has a broken weld. Maybe a good time to just remove it and be done with it.

894FA957-851A-4308-937E-103BABE1A686.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom