Curing cancer, 76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More parts in color today. I really need a bigger place to work in. I don't like painting pieces on separate occasions, but I'll take what I can get.

IMG_20170716_172039044.jpg

IMG_20170716_171935886.jpg

IMG_20170716_171946004.jpg

IMG_20170716_172023880_TOP.jpg

Everything was going great too, until I checked to see how much clear I had left in the gun. I didn't get one side of the kid pushed all the way down and splashed one of the doors. An eruption of curse words quickly followed. I guess I have an excuse to buff it out now

IMG_20170716_172011597.jpg

IMG_20170716_172003687.jpg

IMG_20170716_172020975.jpg

Welp... I've finally made a bit more forward progress. Nearly everything is painted and most of it is buffed. I wouldn't have buffed it, but when you don't paint it all at once the finished texture is just different enough for me to not like it.

I didn't take a lot of pictures of this last go around, but there were no surprised. Though I did let the pressure to the gun get too high when the compressor pressured back up and I put some nasty runs in the base on my driver's side fender. I let that coat dry and then sanded the runs out before putting on more color. If anyone wants my advice on paint it is practice with the equipment you have and know that you can never have too many lights. Of all the things I have bought to build my toys I wish I had bought more lights.

I also fired the engine, because I needed the motivation. My wheels and tires are also now present and accounted for. I need to make a spacer for the spare tire carrier so the wheel fits. I am still waiting to get my glass from the glass shop.

When I began putting all my pieces back together I threw my hands up and said "F it!" and bought stainless button head and flat head screws and bolts. Much nicer than my crusty painted fasteners. It's also much cheaper to order them from a bulk distributor than from the local hardware store.

Baby steps

IMG_20170916_162146303.jpg

IMG_20170916_162215147.jpg

IMG_20170916_162202941.jpg

IMG_20171021_004931033.jpg

IMG_20171021_004946603.jpg

Looks awesome. Amen on the advice to have plenty of lights. I bought some 4' LED ceiling mount fixtures, wired them with some short lengths of romex to make them portable. Worked out good cause I can move them around if needed. Been thinking, I shoulda put a thin layer vasaline or paste wax on the plastic lenses to prevent overspray from adhering. :cheers:

Oh man! Finally got back to the FJ, the deer were beckoning me these last few weeks.

Got the engine running like a champ and heaters all hooked up. Wish my water pump seal didn't drip while it was running . New pump is on the way. Hood buffed and bolted on. Fenders and bib need to be adjusted just a little bit.

IMG_20171127_223216844.jpg

IMG_20171127_223129345.jpg

10957.jpeg

Just read your whole thread from the beginning. Wow, how far you have come. So much rust! Awesome job, man!

That is one nice whitetail! Not many whitetail here in Oregon. I've seen only one (haven't really been looking for them), and as soon as that big white flag goes up there is no mistaking it for a muley. Again that is one deer to be proud of.

Now, since you are well on the way, finish making your cruiser as nice as that deer. Keep the pics coming.

Don

That is one nice whitetail! Not many whitetail here in Oregon. I've seen only one (haven't really been looking for them), and as soon as that big white flag goes up there is no mistaking it for a muley. Again that is one deer to be proud of.

Now, since you are well on the way, finish making your cruiser as nice as that deer. Keep the pics coming.

Don
Thanks, I appreciate it. It tastes as good as it looks too. Now is just the nickel and dime knickknack stuff.

Paint job looks great! Did you fill all your spot welds low spots? It looks super smooth. Trying to decide if I should skim coat mine before I top coat.

Keeps the pics coming! Awesome job!

Paint job looks great! Did you fill all your spot welds low spots? It looks super smooth. Trying to decide if I should skim coat mine before I top coat.

Keeps the pics coming! Awesome job!

I did work the spot welds, I dislike seeing them. The front doors were both slightly concave, not wavey, so I left them. Mine were nearly perfect so I didn't feel the need to add a bunch of body work to something no one else will notice. Some people think filler is the devil, but I'm not one of those people.

Reactions: SMG
Oh progress how sweet you are. Chipping away at it. I even took it for a test drive. Power steering is really nice to have. The new seat covers I got from CCOT are really nice. I'm beginning to waiver on the white top and bezel. I'm beginning to think black would look pretty good

IMG_20171210_220258913.jpg

IMG_20171210_220321925.jpg

IMG_20171210_220342759.jpg

IMG_20171210_220409077.jpg

IMG_20171210_220351348.jpg

Haha, the driver side shot - looks like you reinforced the side panel with cinder blocks. Low tech side protection!

Chased a few wiring Gremlins in the headlights. Beating my head against a wall for two hours turned out to be a scuzzy connection at the fuse panel :bang: I also thought my high beam indicator wasn't working, but I turned off the lights in the shop and I could finally see the dim glow of the indicator.

The high been indicators on both my 40’s are dim. Just was looking at Trollhole’s thread on replacement LED’s. I need to find some patience and go through that thread again and work up an LED order:confused:.

Glad you got to drive it:beer:

The high been indicators on both my 40’s are dim. Just was looking at Trollhole’s thread on replacement LED’s. I need to find some patience and go through that thread again and work up an LED order:confused:.

Glad you got to drive it:beer:
I don't mind that it's dim, but I just couldn't see it unless it was really dark. I personally prefer really dim dash lights at night

I don't mind that it's dim, but I just couldn't see it unless it was really dark. I personally prefer really dim dash lights at night
I am with you on that. unless I'm in a urban area where there is a lot of ambient light I run almost blacked out dash lights. My wife's truck has one of those touch screen center controls that combine the radio with navigation and climate controls and it bugs the hell out of me you have to separately dim that from the dash. it literally lights up the interior of the vehicle even at night.
On a "back on track note" this has been an impressive build, please keep up the good work.

I am with you on that. unless I'm in a urban area where there is a lot of ambient light I run almost blacked out dash lights. My wife's truck has one of those touch screen center controls that combine the radio with navigation and climate controls and it bugs the hell out of me you have to separately dim that from the dash. it literally lights up the interior of the vehicle even at night.
On a "back on track note" this has been an impressive build, please keep up the good work.
Thanks. The process is a bit slower than I would like, but the desire to finish is getting stronger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom