Ignition key getting hot... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shickalee

GOLD Star
Threads
On Thursday, the engine started running rough on my 1999 Land Cruiser 100 series. The engine light was also flashing. I drove the 100 over to AutoZone for a CEL scan. The CEL scan identified that the bank 1 spark plug was bad. I purchased a new Denso Iridium plug and Denso ignition coil and my mechanic installed on Friday. Now my wife is telling me that the ignition key is super hot and she smells a slight burning smell. Any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks,
Skip

Make sure your insurance is paid up.
You have a electcfial short, most likely in the ignition swtich.
The smell is the insulation on the wiring melting.
Do not drive it unless you want a fire.

Make sure your insurance is paid up.
You have a electcfial short, most likely in the ignition swtich.
The smell is the insulation on the wiring melting.
Do not drive it unless you want a fire.

I do not need any claims with 3 student drivers. Is the fix likely a new ignition switch?

I do not need any claims with 3 student drivers. Is the fix likely a new ignition switch?
Agree with @Spike555 don't be driving it, never in my life heard of a key getting hot... but it's really odd to have 2 different electrical problems at once instead of one common one. <scratches head />

If you have a moment take apart the steering column plastic - it's pretty easy and there are good how-to posts on here, search for 'busted ignition' . You might be able to see the problem if it got hot enough to be melting insulation, perhaps one of the connectors to the switch assembly that lost its insulation and you can heat-shrink new stuff on? I'm honestly struggling to see how this could happen though, and hope you'll update us when you find out.

I don't think the ignition switch is near the actual key and key cylinder (the key is in). So it seems unlikely that heat would be transferred/conducted through all of that. You might check the lighted bezel/key ring that surrounds the key cylinder.

A quick trip to your local dealer might turn up any 'known' problems with your issue. IF it is the ignition switch (high resistance across the contacts) that is causing the burning smell, you'll want to have that replaced. At the same time they might be able to suggest what is causing the key to heat up.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I just started the 100 this morning and let it run for 30 minutes, the key and bezel did not get hot. Maybe the ignition switch was sticking on my wife? Subsequently on the trip home the smell dissipated and the key was not hot when she arrived home.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback.

I just started the 100 this morning and let it run for 30 minutes, the key and bezel did not get hot. Maybe the ignition switch was sticking on my wife? Subsequently on the trip home the smell dissipated and the key was not hot when she arrived home.

I always check for myself the reports my wife has about any perceived issues with our LX. Often times there is no concern.

But....it is quite possible what your wife says happened... did happen ...and the problem is intermittent. So it bears watching.

Got to agree that I can't imagine that much heat transfer would get to the key in the barrel unless it is already on fire, haha. Are you sure it wasn't the key itself? Do a thorough check though.

I will definitely keep monitoring and report back if there is an actual issue and what it was.

Bringing this one back. Got out of the rig at the home improvement store today and noticed the metal portion of my key was pretty warm. Maybe because it was a cold day out I could just feel it easier. I put my finger on the ignition and it was quite warm, not quite scalding but definitely noticeable. I'm going to put the multimeter on it later today and see if current is running across there. Then I will pull some trim and see what can be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom