Builds A Hippo ..... No More (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My name is Larry Britt from the High Desert Cruisers. I recently purchased a 2016 200 series and I am near completion of Phase 1 of my build and thought I would share.

• CBI Front, Sliders, Skids
  • Slee Rear
  • Total Chaos Upper and Lower Arms
  • King Coilover & Rear Shocks
  • OME Rear Springs
  • Come Up Gen2 12.5rs Winch
  • Toyo RT 285/75R18
  • ARB Dual Compressor
  • Alu Cab 270 Awning
  • Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack
  • FT8800 Ham (to be installed)

Christo did the rear and compressor and Walt Wagner of TAV did the suspension and armor. Don't ask me how it drives. I don't know because I am traveling and haven't picked up the truck yet. I didn't gear and lock it at this point, since I am interested in how it performs with the factory 8 speed gearbox.

Walt says that the notorious front tire rub that comes with 35s on these trucks will be resolved once he installs a 1.25" spacer on the front hubs.

Stay tuned for Phase 2.

Larry

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, that's about all I can say. Beautiful rig, enjoy!

I have a white 16 as well. Love the front and rear bumpers. Can we get some more info on them?

Wow! Heck of a Phase 1 — really like that CBI front as well. Looks like an improvement t over their custom one from a build thread a while back on a 13/14.

Any tire rub with that setup? Edit - just saw you need spacers

Looks great.
Yeah, Walt indicated that the tire hits the tie rod at full turn but should be resolved with the 1.25" spacer. As I understand it (and BTW - I am no mechanic!), we installed the long travel lower control arms (with the uppers as well) and that pushed out each side by about 2", then the stock axles were swapped out with tundra axles, which were two inches longer - a perfect set up. What I like about this is that tundra axles should be readily available worldwide as they are one of the weak points of the IFS.

I will report back on any tire rub after I get it out on the trail to see how she performs.

Last edited:
I have a white 16 as well. Love the front and rear bumpers. Can we get some more info on them?

See update on availability on 3rd page - they are not available!
Poupon

The CBI bumpers are available but like it was mentioned, they don't appear on their site and there are very few images via google. I don't know what the big secret is - but if I were to guess, my truck may be one of very few built with the new bumper and CBI is probably making sure all the bugs are worked out before full commercialization (just a guess).

CBI was willing to ship all of the armor to Walt except the rear bumper, which must be installed at CBI's facility at this point. Unfortunately, I didn't want to transport the truck to CBI and fortunately, I love Slee's bumper (had all Slee stuff on my hundy and love it). Because Christo is 7 hrs from Albuquerque, I decided to schlep up to Golden CO because like CBI, Slee does not ship the rear bumper to the aftermarket at this point. Apparently these bumpers are a full day, two man job. The blind spot monitor and lighting are all maintained. Slee even puts extra Rigid backup lights which is awesome. And Christo has significantly improved the tire swing functionality with a single latched, assisted opening - it is just awesome.

I am so glad I have access to shops like Slee and TAVLLC.com so close to ABQ.

Last edited:
That front CBI looks great. They did a good job of transferring over the design from the Tacoma bumper (I actually have it on my truck). It would be great to know when they’ll be publicly available for the 200 along with the cost.
Thanks. What I like about the CBI front bumper is that it almost looks factory. I don't need bull bars where we ride (no moose or kangaroos darting out in front here in the high desert). I need winch points, a winch and of course approach angle. CBI did that for me. The ARB bumper is quite functional, but I prefer the slim profile of the CBI.

I am assuming the two larger 4" approx cut outs are for fog lights. and the cut out in front of the winch is also designed for a strip LED. However, Walt suggested that I not mount a strip light there because you loose ability to visually monitor the spooling of the winch line. The other thing that appealed to me was the Come Up Winch - which can be operated via your smart phone or the traditional plug in harness - redundancy built in.

Lighting will be addressed Phase 2.

Last edited:
That front CBI looks great. They did a good job of transferring over the design from the Tacoma bumper (I actually have it on my truck). It would be great to know when they’ll be publicly available for the 200 along with the cost.
I let Walt order all of the CBI stuff and his price to me is shown below. I don't know if Walt's price would be reflective of a retail price but this will give you some idea of the pricing:

CBI armor quote from Walt:

Front - $3,100
Full Skid - 1,500
Weld on Sliders - 1,300
Rear - 3,850

Slee's rear was $3,750 and installed with tax was just over $5K.

I really like that CBI front bumper! Not going to replace my sahara, but if I had to pick today it'd be an easy choice

Your truck looks fantastic!

The arms you have are TC stock width Tundra, which is why the Tundra axles were installed. 1" Spacers will clear the tierods, but you will have problems with the tire kissing the fender on larger hits.

Badass. CBI front looks awesome.

Your truck looks fantastic!

The arms you have are TC stock width Tundra, which is why the Tundra axles were installed. 1" Spacers will clear the tierods, but you will have problems with the tire kissing the fender on larger hits.
Thanks Brian for the comment. I am also worried about rub of the tires and have heard from others that they have been unable to resolve all rub. But I have been assured that I will not have rub (also, the spacers are 1.25" - not 1"). So once I get this beast on the trail, I will be able to confirm first hand if this configuration is the holy grail. Stand by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom