Buying a LC... 80 vs 100, can't decide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just went from a 100 to an 80. Everything said above is right on. Drive both to figure it out.

Only thing I would say is that if you're going 100, get a 2003+, only problem with the 2003+ is they all have NAV (well 99%), which is terribly antiquated and is truly the main reason I got rid of it. I'd rather have my 80 series stock radio.

as someone that owns both... get both :D
I would love to. My gmc truck has 240,000 miles on it and my wife's suburban has 200,000. I should buy her the 100 and me the 80. Only problem is she loves that damn suburban. I am tired of working on that POS.

I have a locked 80 and use its full capability...almost never. It is capable of running the Rubicon and doing gnarly stuff in Moab, and I take it to OHV areas in SoCal and such. Yes, I do some moderate wheeling occasionally, but the truck's capability is beyond my driving skills and nerves. That said, I love it and would not want a different vehicle.

My point is, even if a Subaru would do what the OP is going to do, he still may want an 80. You don't need to use every bit of the truck's ability to want an 80. I'm sure some Porsche owners feel similarly. Their vehicle might do 190 mph but they take it to 120 once a year. They still love the vehicle and are happy to own it.

The best way to figure out if you want an 80 or 100 is to drive each. They feel very different. Also, if you are going to own an 80 and not work on it yourself you should look at the thread on here about cost of ownership. If you have Mud OCD and you don't work on it yourself it's going to cost some cash to baseline it and fix things as needed on your 20+ year old 80.

Good luck. They're both great vehicles IMHO.

I have a locked 80 and use its full capability...almost never. It is capable of running the Rubicon and doing gnarly stuff in Moab, and I take it to OHV areas in SoCal and such. Yes, I do some moderate wheeling occasionally, but the truck's capability is beyond my driving skills and nerves. That said, I love it and would not want a different vehicle.

My point is, even if a Subaru would do what the OP is going to do, he still may want an 80. You don't need to use every bit of the truck's ability to want an 80. I'm sure some Porsche owners feel similarly. Their vehicle might do 190 mph but they take it to 120 once a year. They still love the vehicle and are happy to own it.

The best way to figure out if you want an 80 or 100 is to drive each. They feel very different. Also, if you are going to own an 80 and not work on it yourself you should look at the thread on here about cost of ownership. If you have Mud OCD and you don't work on it yourself it's going to cost some cash to baseline it and fix things as needed on your 20+ year old 80.

Thank for the response. I have no issue working on vehicles. Grew up in a shop and in the last ten years have only taken my vehicles to the shop once... And they are both junk gm truck with 200,000 plus miles.

Coming from an 80 owner, buy BOTH!!!

Whichever one you don't like you can sell later on but those are some good prices and low miles!

Difference between a Porsche owner and a LC owner, Suby owner, RX-7 owner or BMW owner is that Porsche owner will never learn or willing to do his/her own wrenching. =)

80s more comfortable for most, try

I would love to. My gmc truck has 240,000 miles on it and my wife's suburban has 200,000. I should buy her the 100 and me the 80. Only problem is she loves that damn suburban. I am tired of working on that POS.

Damn, I am surprised both exceeded 100 clicks. For what its worth, the 4.1 2F engine does have its origins from the General. How is it that your truck is less problematic than the "Texas Cadillac?"

I had both. I ended up keeping the 80, which is my DD. I have a <1 mile commute.

100 = nice, soft, comfy and fast
80 = SLOW but never ending fun with mods

Hope this helps.

Nevermind, good luck

Damn, I am surprised both exceeded 100 clicks. For what its worth, the 4.1 2F engine does have its origins from the General. How is it that your truck is less problematic than the "Texas Cadillac?"
My gmc is a 2000 Sierra, I bought it in 03 with 45000 miles on it and besides normal maintenance, I have had to put a transfer case in it, alternator (after 215,000 miles) and a fuel pump (after 197,000 miles). If the frame wasn't about rusted through I would keep driving it, but it is getting into the unsafe zone. That suburban has been nothing but problems, trans, transfer case, fuel pumps alternator, tons of electronic problems, wheel bearings, rear end..... I am sure there is more.

Ive never been to Drummond but I'm going to try to this summer. From what i do know the rocks on the island would be more 80 territory and the sandy mainland would be easier in a 100 with the added power. Thats not to say they both couldn't do both more than adequately. Ive done both dunes and rocks in my 80 :)

Went from an 80 to a 100 and back to an 80. 100's are great vehicles and probably all around better aside from the solid front axle and lockers. I found the 100 not as engaging and kinda boring to drive. You will be ok buying either.

With that said 100's are more geared for the ladies... jk lol

@leepster01 -One thing of distinction since you mentioned being a GM owner you may want to think of:

You had timing chain motors.

80's have a timing chain

100's / 2UZ motors are timing belts

200's / 3UR motors went back to timing chains

I passionately dislike timing belts for an offroad rig - fine for Camrys, not for a 4WD.

I have both an 80 and a 100. The 100 is a 2007 Lx470. The 100 is unbelievably comfortable on long rides. The 80 not so much. When wheeling I'd prefer the 80 for the solid front axle. More wheels on the ground provides better traction and you get that with an 80.

The 80 and 100 are very different animals. I understand your situation, but the fact you even ask this question in the first place makes me think you haven't done enough research... Both are great platforms. Whichever you choose, you'll be stoked ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom