Best handheld GPS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
First off, I am a GPS noob. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I need something that is easy and quick to use. I will be using it in my wheeler, on my quad, and in my pack. I want topo maps and POI like old mines and stuff. I also need it to show roads (even old ones) and be able to add my own roads and mark them. Should be all basic stuff. I'm thinking about buying a Garmin GPSMaps 64s and adding 24k Topos to it. Is there a different unit that I should consider instead? What are the best 24k maps to get? Is there something I'm missing? Any advise would help, I'm wading into completely unknown waters!

First off, I am a GPS noob. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I need something that is easy and quick to use. I will be using it in my wheeler, on my quad, and in my pack. I want topo maps and POI like old mines and stuff. I also need it to show roads (even old ones) and be able to add my own roads and mark them. Should be all basic stuff. I'm thinking about buying a Garmin GPSMaps 64s and adding 24k Topos to it. Is there a different unit that I should consider instead? What are the best 24k maps to get? Is there something I'm missing? Any advise would help, I'm wading into completely unknown waters!

For most use, I find the best handheld GPS is my phone with GaiaGPS, US Topo Pro, and Avenza. Phones have far superior user interfaces to handheld GPS units for upgrading, downloading maps, adding waypoints, etc.

Handheld GPS units offer two advantages though. They work on batteries longer but I can mitigate this by just buying a spare usb power pack for my phone. They have better GPS receivers that achieve satellite lock faster and better under tree cover. But in practice, phone GPS receivers has worked well enough for me.

I've used a basic Garmin eTrex 20 for my hiking, biking, and off road travels for many years. I added a 24k micro card, but they are very pricy. You might check with a local REI store and see if they have a GPS class. I did this when I was upgrading and it was very helpful in deciding which model to purchase. I also carry my iPhone, which is great until you lose cell service or your battery dies.

Yep, android phone makes a great GPS with inexpensive/free mapping programs. Quite a few inexpensive and IP67 units out there if water resistance is an issue. No SIM card needed and with the cell radio and wifi/bt turned off battery life can be quite impressive.

Modern phones have high quality GPS receivers that typically have the ability to use the US GPS system and also GLONASS with other systems coming online as well. Very fast lock under quite extreme tree/building cover.

Nice thing is you can clone all the apps/maps onto a tablet so in-vehicle you have access to the same programs/maps on a larger screen. Makes trip planning easier and good support for saving/transferring routes/tracklogs/waypoints etc.

I haven't used a dedicated GPS for many years now, can't see the point. Typically they have clunky interfaces, expensive maps, minimal upgrade path and limited support after the next model comes out.

cheers,
george.

I am hesitant to use my Samsung phone as a GPS mainly because it needs cell service and the fact that it is fragile. I use my phone for work, so when I'm out in the woods, it is turned off. I don't want to be distracted by work emails and calls that I will start working on. I also don't want to worry about by phone attached to the handlebars of my quad that I just rolled down a muddy hill or in the snow and blood when I am elk hunting. I agree that running a tablet and software would be the best if it was just in my truck, but I don't want to have multiple systems that I have to learn. Maybe I'm underestimating what a phone can do, but I have played with some software and it all seemed cumbersome. I don't want to spend hours downloading maps to where I think I might be without service.

^ There are PLENTY of apps that do NOT need cell connection to do mapping. I've proven that the case since I use a cell phone (with cell/wifi/bt turned off) in the oz bush and I can assure you there is no cell service out there :)

As I wrote, there are plenty of cheap IP67 phones out there - $50 to $100 range. With decent exo-skeleton cases etc.

A phone app will leave a dedicated gps like garmin stuff for dead in terms of UI and capability.

If you have to download maps for your dedicated gps, then what's the problem downloading maps onto a phone?

What I'm proposing is a cheap IP67 phone that is used only for your mapping stuff used as a small 'tablet' and NOT as a phone, i.e. no SIM card inserted. I have a few 'GPS' units configured that way. WIFI enabled when I need to update apps, install new maps, transfer waypoints/routes etc and then disable WIFI again.

Anyhow, whatever you are comfortable with :)

cheers,
george.

Thanks for explain that, George! I guess I just can't picture it in my head. Everything I have read about using a mobile device as a GPS is you need to have service. This is all super foreign to me!

So using a cheap IP67 phone, what software would you recommend?

The GPS in a phone is standalone and does not require any cell/wifi etc access. It can use data to accelerate collection of almanac and can provide a quick 'rough' location estimate, but doesn't require data (cell/wifi etc) for GPS only use.

GaiaGPS, US Topo Pro, Avenza, Back Country Navigator etc etc. There's many to choose from. I personally run Back Country Navigator and have oziexplorer on there as well - but that's because in oz I have topo maps already in the ozi format.

cheers,
george.

To be fair, I think the handheld GPS units are more rugged out of the box. And the IP67 phones are usually a bit clunkier and older, and slower. But overall, I'd still go with my regular phone.

In my experience, my handheld Garmin/Delorme InReach GPS communicator gets a fix much faster than my Pixel phone in the woods and in the wilds. The Pixel beats my GPS communicator when there is a cell signal because phones use cell network to get a quick reference and use GPS to refine it. This strategy is not available to handheld GPS.

I'll have to say a good word about my Garmin/Delorme Inreach. It sucks as a navigator/map but it is great on the trails because I can set it up to upload my GPS location by satellite (i.e. no cell signal needed) so my family knows where I am. And it has an SOS button.

I used Avenza and Gaia GPS extensively. Like both.

Gaia GPS is simple. Once you get the paid version, you can download sections of maps to use when offline. Never set a waypoint/marker/track with Gaia yet.

Avenza seems to have a larger selection of maps. For example, you can download geo registered amd recemt verions of the USFS visitors maps. I have used the free, geo-registered USFS motor vehicle use maps a fair bit. Though you have to pay for some of the maps. USGS topo maps are free, though some of them are pretty old. Setting markers is pretty straightforward. And it'll record tracks.

I have never downloaded tracks. I'd be interested in what you find out.

If you have a newer android phone that should be the easiest solution. The Avenza Maps or Backcountry Navigator apps are easy to use and work great with lots of available maps to download.

If you give up on using a phone (which I think is a cool option) and prefer a dedicated GPS unit- my Garmin Montana 650 has been a very solid performer. You could find a refurb for $300 /-. Waterproof, dustproof- used on my offload bikes, and in the truck. Only thing is Garmin architecture is clunky. As a Mac guy, their map building software (Basecamp) sucks but the Montana has a good processor, is fast and map loading and sharing is pretty quick & easy.

Anyone who says BCN is easy to use..........It's basically an hrs long relearning curve every time I bring it out (about 2-3/yr).

I wish I could say I'm ignorant in technology, but I'm all over the smart phone thing (did my entire BS nursing books/notes/etc on a Smart phone, and that was 10 yrs ago.....works great when want to study on the chair lift ride up for a pow day!).

Next trip is Gaia for me. Hopefully my brain wiring will match a little better:beer:

Honestly, I have been watching YouTube videos on Giai and how to use it and it looks like something you need to use on a regular bases to keep up on. It looks to me like a dedicated handheld GPS would be easier and more durable.

Regular GPS don't have virtual keyboards. Typing in waypoints is a PIA. GaiaGPS is easy to update, compared to GPS handhelds.

Yeah, it's what you are use to.

I've was using a laptop for mapping since back in early 2000 with external GPS BT dongle, so using a true mapping setup is something I'm use to. Was running oziexplorer back then and still am with the Android version. Tablet/phone has replaced the laptop due to more compact size and easier use/battery life etc.

I've now moved to BCN since I can download LARGE chunks of bing aerial photography which allows me to resolve old and disused tracks that aren't on modern maps. I can easily switch from topo maps to the bing photography to check the lay of the land.

But then I'm use to these kind of mapping programs. Nice to be able to put routes together on a laptop and then load them into BCN for trip planning and then transfer the files back onto the laptop after a trip to share or just save.

Anyhow, having more choices is always good and unlike my first GPS (back in 1989, magellan 1000) that cost me ~$2900 we can play and experiment with what works best for very little $.

cheers,
george.

Anyone who says BCN is easy to use..........It's basically an hrs long relearning curve every time I bring it out (about 2-3/yr).

I wish I could say I'm ignorant in technology, but I'm all over the smart phone thing (did my entire BS nursing books/notes/etc on a Smart phone, and that was 10 yrs ago.....works great when want to study on the chair lift ride up for a pow day!).

Next trip is Gaia for me. Hopefully my brain wiring will match a little better:beer:
You must be more of a power user than me. I have not found it hard to use. My biggest complaint is I still cant get it to work on my SD card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom