What going on with this sparkplug? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am changing the valve cover gaskets and plugs and when I pulled out one of the coils I saw a fair amount of rust? Did water just get past the coil gasket or is something else going on here?

On a side note I am pretty happy how clean the head looks as I don't have many service records! 153k and it looks pretty to me!

Doing the driver's side tomorrow. I've read that side is a lot more of a pain.

20171124_165007.jpg

20171124_165023.jpg

20171124_141606.jpg

Not sure, but looks like a wore out plug that may be leaking compression past porcelain.

Did you look down the spark plug tube? Replace both of those coil packs in the second pic as they both show signs of damage from heat (can't tell if the middle one is heat damage or dirt). The one at the top of that same pic is what a coil pack should look like. And as others have stated check your spark plug seals.

I'll bet plug was loose.

Is that your #4?

Just saw the same thing on #4, a very loose spark plug.

Recently a had another #4 frozen in head.:hmm:

Very loose spark plug.
004.JPG

That was my first thought, but just thought that it would of been noticed during strip down. Either combustion gases passing the plug or oil burning away at the bottom, or both due to escaped gases damaging the seal.

When gasses pass the plug, inner surfaces of the rubber boots (seal tubes) and the plug itself are covered with quite a bit of carbon build-up. You notice that quickly, as everything they touch will be black; gloves included.

The top-most ignition coil in your first picture has a visibly deformed area, and this would be enough for me to replace the coil. In general, [quality] coils don't fail, unless they overheat, develop too many cracks and chip-outs - this is where electric arch may start and kill the coil. They also dye when they overheat or their spark plug is flying out - we have that with Ford's panthers most of all.

here is an illustration of a coil boot inspection

If you ever buy ignition coils on eBay, beware of sellers who advertise old, used ignition coils as new, allegedly from a bulk shipment. All they do is the replacement of the coil boots, nothing else. They may be working coils, but they are not new. The only decent 'cheap' after-market coil in my experience is Flamma IGC107F from YEC Japan. And they come with quality silicone boots. Otherwise, pay full price for Denso - a proven performer. If you are looking for a separate quality set of silicone boots, Denso 671-8184 Ignition Wire Kit is a good one. For a smaller quantity, Beck/Arnley silicone boots from Rockauto.com are very good as well.

Well I did the driver's side today and I saw the same thing. I don't know what cylinder numbers they are but on both sides the second from the front has rust. I will probably pull them in a month or so and check to see if it comes back with the new plugs.

20171125_124016.jpg

Passenger side may have been a little loose, but I don't think the driver's side was. As I stated above I am not sure which number cylinder it was but they both were the second from the front of the engine.

I'll bet plug was loose.

Is that your #4?

Just saw the same thing on #4, a very loose spark plug.

Recently a had another #4 frozen in head.:hmm:

Very loose spark plug.
View attachment 1580466

Last edited:
So it was 3 and 4 that had the rust. Kind of weird that they lined up.

Thanks for the firing order!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom