IMPOSSIBLE to LIFT LX570 or Remove AHC?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been searching high and low for an answer on this and cannot find much info at all. The LX570 has been out for a while now, yet there is apparently no aftermarket coil spring conversion kit or someway to replace the AHC with a proper lift kit for offroading. i've seen conversion kits for the GX460 but NOTHING for the LX570.

I'm close to buying an LX570 but this is holding me back. This type of hydraulic suspension has been known to fail in other vehicles (LX470) and when it does its very expensive to fix. I will be wheeling my truck pretty hard and would like to go ahead plan a replacement suspension swap for the AHC when it fails.

Has anyone removed the factory hydraulic suspension from an LX570 and replaced with a standard Land Cruiser style offroad coil spring lift kit? (ie KING/ICON/Old Man Emu)

Is there really no option available?

Thanks!

Have there been a lot of reported failures of the 570 AHC? Or has Toyota actually produced a more reliable system for offroad use?

If you can find anyone who happily removed AHC from a 570, it will be big news here.

Nope. Nothing currently available. But prepare for the flurry of AHC owners to tell you how it's the cat pajamas. :)
:worms:
Paging @TeCKis300 :D

There's something to be said for both approaches. The LC will allow you to choose the best aftermarket components but you'll probably spend more than you would with an out of the box LX. And as far as being worried about the longevity of the AHC, the aftermarket stuff doesn't last forever either.

Last edited:
It's been done on a race truck before, with Kings. No reason why it couldn't be done on a regular truck, assuming you don't mind some dash lights.

upload_2017-11-24_16-14-45.jpeg

Lexus LX 570 Driven To Victory In Tecate Baja 500

I think it's fair to say that Race-Team projects aren't the best indicators of whether system swaps are "available" to LX owners...

Otherwise... Might as well pretend we can all do this to a street Camry: :hillbilly:

010817-nascar-toyota-camry-2018.vadapt.767.high.94-2.jpg

Have there been a lot of reported failures of the 570 AHC? Or has Toyota actually produced a more reliable system for offroad use?

I've not seen reported failures thus far...'08 - ' 17... There is the occasional lean, but I've read that same issue with the Land Cruiser KDSS as well. You can find quite a few threads on both of those issues.

I can't speak for the LX570 but LX470 AHC is very dependable for 150K miles , I also know that Christo Slee was selling AHC for LX470 module to overwrite default, so you can raise or lower car and it will stay that way on any speed.

I felt LX470 AHC wasn't reliable personally and ripped it out. Lx570 AHC sounds very reliable to me but the AHC makes the car too disconnected from the road and I didnt like it. I spent more money on a LC because of this even though originally wanted a LX for its luxruious features.

I think it's fair to say that Race-Team projects aren't the best indicators of whether system swaps are "available" to LX owners...

Otherwise... Might as well pretend we can all do this to a street Camry: :hillbilly:

View attachment 1580058

I get your point, but that "Camry" is a spec built racer with zero parts in common with a Camry and painted on headlights, whereas the Bacal LX 570 was built from a factory LX 570 including stock powertrain, body panels, and most of the interior.

Former Toyota Test Driver Wins Second Baja 1000 with Lexus LX 570

Interesting article, according to the driver, most of the suspension is factory original except for the shocks.

kingshocks1.png

I get your point, but that "Camry" is a spec built racer with zero parts in common with a Camry and painted on headlights, whereas the Bacal LX 570 was built from a factory LX 570 including stock powertrain, body panels, and most of the interior.

Ha! Ya, it was a silly comparison for sure. :) I just meant that if an LX guy is looking for a way to dump AHC...looking to a racer—where electronic indicators don’t matter to their narrow purpose—isn’t likely the solution they’re hoping for.

Plus, he’s pretty new to the forum. Would be a bummer if he took that example as a green light as he considers buying a rig.

Last edited:
Happy to chime in on how great AHC is on the LX if you want to hear about it :)

But as others pointed out it’s not possible to remove. You can lift AHC ~ 1.25” in your drive way with a wrench by adjusting the sensors at each wheel. It doesn’t effect the operation - comfort acces, high, and extra high all still work.

Hah, thanks @Chocolate .

@Mutant , it's not impossible to lift an AHC rig. It's just done differently than traditional suspension. Without buying anything, you can statically lift easily ~1.5" lift, and 2" with a bit more custom bracketing/modify rod effort. This adjusts all positions (L,M,H) up 2" higher. Considering that H lifts ~3" (80mm) on demand, combined with a 2" static sensor lift, this would amount to something like a 4-5" lift!

How to - AHC Sensor Adjustment for Lift

It does sound like a traditional suspension LC might suit you better. I'd be interested in hearing how it is that you might use your rig?

Many here can tell you more about how AHC works well for them. But consider a few brief points:
1) No way is AHC unreliable, especially compared to aftermarket stuff, where long term durability is an after-thought. You might want to explore the endless leaks/clunks/wear&tear threads on aftermarket stuff. Not to mention the higher end race oriented coilovers require rebuilds every 30-60k miles. And I would know as I've had several sets rebuilt on my sports cars, on even higher end stuff.
2) AHC is a constant height lift, regardless of load (to a point). That means when you hear a traditional suspended LC is lifted 3"...ask them how much lift they really have once loaded and geared up for a trip. More likely ~1.5". AHC does not lose height with load. So that 1.5" sensor lift is always 1.5" more clearance, even on a trip.
3) There are no readily available replacement springs, but they do exist! Some for armored car applications taking AHC up to 5.1 tonnes. Or diesel LC200 AHC springs. Yes, it would be great if the aftermarket stepped up. Until then, airbags can be a great adjustable interim solution for a really heavy expedition built rig. Short of that, no augmentation really necessary.

How hard are you planning to wheel your 200-series? The LC isn't exactly invincible, and there might be better aftermarket support for Tacoma/4Runner, stuff like LT kits. As others have said before, getting King 2.5 resi + uniball, etc will need servicing too, probably a higher rate than AHC, every 30-50k miles. Plan on a couple weeks downtime on jackstands if you're sending the shocks somewhere to get rebuilt.

For AHC on the 470s, rust was a killer to the system, thats why a lot of people had problems within 50k miles, and some no problems with 300k miles. For the LX470, AHC is deeply integrated into the system.

Suspension isn’t the only challenge for the LX. You will find more armor options for the Landcruiser than for the current LX.

Last edited:
Suspension isn’t the only challenge for the LX. You will find more armor options for the Landcruiser than for the current LX.

For example- To do LX sliders (only one I know of was just finally offered by Slee) you'll need to buy a replacement LC panel, since the panel on the LX transitions into the stock running boards. So sliders will cost you about double that of a comparable LC set (not sure Slee's price or cost of the LC panel, but it's a lot of extra fiddling to replicate what the LC already offers).

I test drove an LX570 yesterday that had ARB bumpers front and rear, offroad lights, winch, fender flares. It looks awesome from a distance. But when you get close you see what the previous owner did to get that bumper on. He hacked the s*** out of the LX body and used black silicone or something to close the gap between the bumper and the LX. Its sorta hideous up close. Also the running boards and OEM 20's are still on...making it look like it has an identity crisis.
But the truck drove great. Suspension seemed plenty usable. Sport was firm, comfort was soft. Up went up, down went down. Maybe its perfect for beating up on the trail. Difficult to decide.

Is there no bandaid for the running board issue? Any brand of sliders that might hide the hack job if I cut them off?

I test drove an LX570 yesterday that had ARB bumpers front and rear, offroad lights, winch, fender flares. It looks awesome from a distance. But when you get close you see what the previous owner did to get that bumper on. He hacked the s*** out of the LX body and used black silicone or something to close the gap between the bumper and the LX. Its sorta hideous up close. Also the running boards and OEM 20's are still on...making it look like it has an identity crisis.
But the truck drove great. Suspension seemed plenty usable. Sport was firm, comfort was soft. Up went up, down went down. Maybe its perfect for beating up on the trail. Difficult to decide.

Is there no bandaid for the running board issue? Any brand of sliders that might hide the hack job if I cut them off?

Why would you cut the running boards off? They unbolt/unplug easily. You'll need LC side skirts to cover the area left exposed. Slee makes sliders for the LC/LX that works very well and others are in the early production phase.

Anyway, as long as the P/O didn't hack into the fender you should be fine. The plastic bumper can be purchased for ~$300 on ebay.

Why would you cut the running boards off? They unbolt/unplug easily. You'll need LC side skirts to cover the area left exposed. Slee makes sliders for the LC/LX that works very well and others are in the early production phase.

Anyway, as long as the P/O didn't hack into the fender you should be fine. The plastic bumper can be purchased for ~$300 on ebay.

I thought the LX boards were a continuous part of the side body panel? If not then I'm puzzled as to why they are still on the vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom