GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This week my Nav screen, back up cam, radio, cassette, Cig Lighter, ACC outlet have been intermittently going dark-(zero -power). Disconnecting the Vline in the glove box brings everything back online.

I've had the vline in use for maybe 11 months with no issues like this . Anyone have these issues before?

Slightly worried that the Vline unit has developed a bug interfering with the ECU that controls the NAV, HU, Center multi-link..

Last edited:
I recently updated my vline to that lastest software, worked wonderful this morning driving into work. Now when I start the car for lunch the Vline is not showing up, I push the disk button on my radio and it's just saying No Disc. Any thoughts?

I have to turn the key to "on" before I start the car and check to see if the Vline is recognized before starting the car. If the vline doesn't appear after pressing the disc button, I turn the key off and back on and usually it will appear the second time. If that doesn't work, unplug power to the vline, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in.

I recommend pulling the radio fuse. I've had to do it a few times. But best was was as Johsti suggest, wait for the vline screen to come up before turning your engine.

I recently updated my vline to that lastest software, worked wonderful this morning driving into work. Now when I start the car for lunch the Vline is not showing up, I push the disk button on my radio and it's just saying No Disc. Any thoughts?

I just had a VLine installed yesterday for a 2006 GX 470. I'm having issues installing the GApps. I'll get to the Cynogen reboot system screen, but I can't get it to reboot. I've tired on screen and also a keyboard without any luck. Does anyone have a workaround or a sideload option? I've called Grom Support, but no luck.

And FYI, Carplay is available and you can enable it for the 2004 - 2006 model. It's quite easy. Not sure if they want this info on blast due to licensing issues, but I can tell you it's pretty easy to activate.

My experience with GROM BT3 was less than stellar. Ordered the unit, scheduled my stereo installer, and had him put it in. It didn't work.
This has nothing to do with the V line, except... Customer service was terrible. TERRIBLE.

Have a question? Good luck. there is no customer support. NONE.

I would buy the V line in a heartbeat if I thought I had the company backing me up with any issues. My .02.

Ive not had any issues with Grom support. Atually very prompt to repoond to thier service tickets/requests. Less than 24hrs.

Ive not had any issues with Grom support. Atually very prompt to repoond to thier service tickets/requests. Less than 24hrs.

That doesn't help when you are at the installer and your dashboard is pulled apart and you can't get the damn unit to work. 24 hours via email is BS. no phone number available for tech support= no buying from me.

That doesn't help when you are at the installer and your dashboard is pulled apart and you can't get the damn unit to work. 24 hours via email is BS. no phone number available for tech support= no buying from me.
Yep fair enough. I can see how immediate response in that case would be necessary especially if you aren't the installer and you're paying an hourly rate to get it done.

I just had a VLine installed yesterday for a 2006 GX 470. I'm having issues installing the GApps. I'll get to the Cynogen reboot system screen, but I can't get it to reboot. I've tired on screen and also a keyboard without any luck. Does anyone have a workaround or a sideload option? I've called Grom Support, but no luck.

And FYI, Carplay is available and you can enable it for the 2004 - 2006 model. It's quite easy. Not sure if they want this info on blast due to licensing issues, but I can tell you it's pretty easy to activate.

Can you PM this info?

I was given a direct number to Grom support that offered a few suggestions, but none worked. I'll wait for the next update and see. The hidden CarPlay function works way better than the VLine Android platform anyways.

And @tacoduck, as far as I know, you have to disconnect the built-in CD Changer in order for the VLine to work. I know they advertised that the unit will work with the OEM CD player, but it won't. My installer found out by calling them directly. If you're in the Los Angeles area, I can shoot you the info to mine. He got it up and running without any issues.

EDIT: Never mind tacoduck, I just re-read your post. But an FYI for anyone else getting the VLine on a GX470. You will lose CD Player functionality.

I was given a direct number to Grom support that offered a few suggestions, but none worked. I'll wait for the next update and see. The hidden CarPlay function works way better than the VLine Android platform anyways.

And @tacoduck, as far as I know, you have to disconnect the built-in CD Changer in order for the VLine to work. I know they advertised that the unit will work with the OEM CD player, but it won't. My installer found out by calling them directly. If you're in the Los Angeles area, I can shoot you the info to mine. He got it up and running without any issues.

EDIT: Never mind tacoduck, I just re-read your post. But an FYI for anyone else getting the VLine on a GX470. You will lose CD Player functionality.

The 6 disc changer in my 2005 LX470 worked just fine with the Vline installed.

they told me via broken english text that I needed to do this. I unplugged whatever they told me to a week later with the installer again. Still didn't work. another 50 bucks down the drain. I think they sent me the wrong unit, but I wasn't going to waste any more time with it.

Few weeks ago GROM customer support told me they are working on upgrading hardware when I asked about newer android version support. They were not able to give an ETA though. FYI

So for the folks that are running this unit... would you say its worth it at this point still? Or would you perhaps have just gone and kept the stock unit and just added something like the VAIS SL3b or the USA Spec BT35-toy... What about if its for somebody who is not quite into having to "tinker" with stuff every time they use it...?--like my wife or mother....

Last edited:
So for the folks that are running this unit... would you say its worth it at this point still? Or would you perhaps have just gone and kept the stock unit and just added something like the VAIS SL3b or the USA Spec BT35-toy... What about if its for somebody who is not quite into having to "tinker" with stuff every time they use it...?--like my wife or mother....

The VAIS and USA Spec units cost way more ($230+) over the Grom Audio Bluetooth unit ($135). Is the difference that you can retain the use of the CD changer? The Grom unit seem to replace the CD changer. I actually have no need for the CD changer, so just wondering if the VAIS and USA Spec units offer some additional capability.

As for the VLine, I like to tinker but I definitely don't care about audio and nav enough to futz with it. There is also the matter of whether your significant other wants to futz with the unit as well.

IMO- a more basic A2DP BT device that allows easy music streaming from android iPhone.

At $499 for the Vline- its not worth it for me. I bought at intro price of $299 and thought that was a fair price for the features and functionality.

The VAIS and USA Spec units cost way more ($230+) over the Grom Audio Bluetooth unit ($135). Is the difference that you can retain the use of the CD changer? The Grom unit seem to replace the CD changer. I actually have no need for the CD changer, so just wondering if the VAIS and USA Spec units offer some additional capability.

As for the VLine, I like to tinker but I definitely don't care about audio and nav enough to futz with it. There is also the matter of whether your significant other wants to futz with the unit as well.

The VAIS offers the ability to control some functionality from the steering controls/display panel (see video). I think I saw the USA Spec one could as well...? Can the Grom audio bluetooth unit do this as well? I couldn't tell from looking at their website...

Edit: To answer your question, it does appear though that both the VAIS and the USA spec replace the cd changer like the grom audio bt unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom