1970 Fj40 how do I get the rear axles out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
D36F3005-2DBB-49AA-BAA2-FA96BBA40868.jpeg
Im struggling to see how these axles come out. What am I missing?

Wow. You’re doing it the hard way! There are service manuals that may be a good idea for ya. B

Keep track of which bearing cap is the right and left side. Shims too if you’re rebuilding everything. Someone once gave me a disassembled differential without keeping track of the bits and it really made things a pain in the a$$ to rebuild.

read up on semi float axles

here is a youtube vid of a guy working on a jeep or a chevy.

it isnt tough. you remove an 8mm bolt then remove the pin.
just try not to drop the spider gears as they can be tricky to put back in.
do one side at a time.
if you replace the axle bearings, i rented an axle puller from auto zone for free. you will need a
slide hammer. do the seals while you have them out.

Pulling the Lockright isn't as simple as pulling axles out of a spider geared diff. Its not hard, its just a little different is all.

Thanks guys. I’ll look at it with fresh eyes and a little more information than yesterday.
The insanity level was certainly rising.
I’d like to remove the locker altogether and source the parts that were removed and not kept by a PO.

Thanks guys. I’ll look at it with fresh eyes and a little more information than yesterday.
The insanity level was certainly rising.
I’d like to remove the locker altogether and source the parts that were removed and not kept by a PO.
If that's the case, I'd just post in the "Wanted" section for a complete used differential with the gearing you need.

I bet someone would trade you complete 3rd members too, to get your locker.

I got the small axle out today. Much easier with the bearing carriers in, Impossible otherwise I’d say. The locker makes it very awkward for the c clip to come free as there is only just enough movement to create the gap. You have to get the gears apart evenly all the way round is the trick.
I only wanted to paint the backing plates. What a great time it’s turned into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom