Vacuum Leak, Manifold footprint on graphite gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s very interesting too... one fun thing about working as a nurse in a rehab facility I get to pick the ear of seasoned folks pretty often esp when I speak up about what I do outside work.
I talked to one guy who had rebuilt deisels and big trucks since he was young. He swore by a copper gasket. I tell you I spent some time searching but no such luck. I pondered just buying a sheet of copper and cutting a gasket... it really sounded like a great way to go. Copper can go as high as 1700* and will mold to an uneven surface.

Hi, There is a copper gasket out there but I don't remember where I got it from,maybe over seas. Mike

So thIs is the stuff that gets my nut... haha, I’ve been dying to say that since some guy said it to me.
Validation! I knew what I was seeing the last time I put the manifolds on w/o a gasket to the head was right but I let self doubt creep in.
0.006 way off in the center of the outer port and most assuredly is on the lower inner as well as I felt a rock when I had it sitting on a stretch of slate countertop.
First machinist most likely didn’t go enough and left me a gap that I’ve stupidly been fighting all along.
I should take it back to them but My friend and I couldn’t figure a time w/ his work schedule and my avail non kid time so he’s taking it to his work to give it a kiss off. He’s a helicopter mechanic and has the tools so I know it’s in good hands.

Lesson 101, go w/ your gut.

8A8D12DD-67B5-46FC-9709-231657F0930A.jpeg

D5BF9A59-55FD-4025-8F17-CB2A2F77D4A8.jpeg

You are within tolerance. Warp max is 0.5mm or 0.020 in.

An OE gasket and the Copper brush on goop should be fine.

The temp rating on the Copper coat is 400* F, but the stuff is thick and 'bakes' on helping to seal. It's thick and fills gaps. It has been recommend by two Cruiser Guru's who have repaired more 2Fs than I have black socks.

I've been told the spray on kind doesn't last on this application - it's made for headgaskets.

Thanks for the info!

upload_2017-11-24_13-31-41.png

Ah thank you. Not at home so wasn’t able to look. Appreciate the picture.

So an update since my friend took the intake to his work and checked the flatness on a true stone. Both outer ports were concave and he could easily fit a .007” straight down the middle from top to bottom.
He and the primary machinist both feel the place I’d taken it had done it on a side mill and on each end how ever they had it braced allowed it to shimmy in and out just the slightest bit making each end take on a cupping shape.
He put a piece of sand paper on the true stone and used the intake itself port sides down to make it right.
I can place it now on my stretch of slate and I get almost nil wobble unlike before. And I can’t see any light from the opposite side w/ it port sides down as well.

Sunday will be the goal for reinstall.

C986BE88-C84D-43ED-B6F3-71A63A021FF6.jpeg

355F2C24-CA7D-41BA-846B-490EB060BE57.jpeg

:beer: <-- here's to hoping this works! Best of luck.

Thank you. I tell you the lesson I’ve gleaned thru so much of this is go w/ your gut always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom