My 286k Timing Belt....Original? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mechanical history shows it hasn't been changed, no sticker in engine bay, independent mechanic who had serviced car previously didn't show it in his logs....

I don't see any brand markings on the belt....BUT, I would bet dollars to donuts this is the original timing belt.
Just changed at Dealer at 286k...... it could not have had much life left in it.
I would like it if there were a way to confirm that it was indeed the original OEM belt.

If anyone wants these parts to look over for some oddball reason, they're yours for the cost of a large USPS Flat Rate box....Original pulleys, water pump, cam/crank seals and the T belt.
I asked the shop to keep them just for kicks.
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG

I bet that’s an original. I’ve taken timing belts off of 300k+ vehicles and they look better than that.

Cracks mean nothing on modern belts.
Timing and serpentine belts do not fail, it is the things that run off of them that fail. Tensioners get weak and pullies sieze which then eat the belt.

Spike, I agree....and the original pulleys and tensioners were replaced as well. They too are showing signs of rounding and wobble. But this belt is really weak in the middle, like I really doubt it had much left in it.
Maybe a brave soul would be willing to install it and see how much more life it has! hahaahahah

I was NOT saying to have let it be or have reinstalled the old belt, when you're in there you replace everything.
You were correct to replace everything, all I am saying is that the people who freak out because they have 100k on their timingbelt need not freak out.

Stories like this gives me confidence about the original Timing Belt in my 2002 LX470 which just turned 39K miles. Very low mileage but the Timing Belt is 15 years old. I'm going to wait until sometime around 60K miles to do the belt.

So OP, how did the tensioner, water pump and face of block where water pump seats look?
BTW, what year is it out of?

Last edited:
I just changed the 42K timing belt on the LX470 I recently bought. TB was changed 10 years ago and car was mostly idle in storage. When I examined the engine by turning the crank and checking timing, the belts and pulleys would move but timing was off 14 teeth. When I removed the TB covers, the tensioner pulley had previously exploded, bearings falling out, and other pulley had completely dried up and was missing bearings. The water pump shaft was crooked and pretty much seized. The LX470 doesnt have VVTI.

My advice: if you think you need to change the timing belt, do. Mileage nor time are minimal influencers to the question: should I?

BTW, shameless plug here, if anyone in FL wants their machine worked on, I can do it. At reasonable rates

I've only heard of one case where the TB broke on an LC, and that's because the owner changed the belt then it broke later, i haven't seen a case where the original belt broke.

I have seen one case of the original TB breaking and killing everything. For those brave souls that still argue as to whether it's interference or whatever other design it is, call Pearl Auto Service in Portland, OR and inquire about the vehicle. Husband and wife, both are small business owners; she does everything by the book and more: even slightest noise would bring her to the shop. Her husband is the opposite. His was over 300k, I do not remember exact number, but I think it was around 380k. He ruined everything in that engine. On top of that he learned that 2UZ-EF has more [poorly documented] variations than he cared to know - it wasn't easy to find one to match his build and tune. Everybody was surprised.

I have seen one case of the original TB breaking and killing everything. For those brave souls that still argue as to whether it's interference or whatever other design it is, call Pearl Auto Service in Portland, OR and inquire about the vehicle. Husband and wife, both are small business owners; she does everything by the book and more: even slightest noise would bring her to the shop. Her husband is the opposite. His was over 300k, I do not remember exact number, but I think it was around 380k. He ruined everything in that engine. On top of that he learned that 2UZ-EF has more [poorly documented] variations than he cared to know - it wasn't easy to find one to match his build and tune. Everybody was surprised.

Perfect, yet another case of a timing belt lasting over 300k. Thank you.

Reactions: rvk
So OP, how did the tensioner, water pump and face of block where water pump seats look?
BTW, what year is it out of?

It all wasn't 'bad' the pulleys had a touch of wobble, but the belt didn't show any signs of fraying on either side.
The pump looked 'ok' but I didn't do the work so didn't see it myself.
1998 LC100.

Water pumps fail when the bearings wear out from lack of lubrication, engine coolant has water pump lube in it, that lube wears out.
The freeze/boil protection lasts forever, it is the lubrication and anti corrosion properties that wear out and need to be replaced.
Just like used oil analysis to see how much oil life you have left you can do the same thing for your engine coolant, but coolant for a car is cheap and easy so no one bothers.
Over the road trucks that hold gallons and gallons of coolant and drive 100,000 miles a year on the other hand...there is additive that you add to the coolant to replenish the lubrication and anti corrosion properties of the coolant, typically every 150k.
Engine coolant can be recycled and made new again too, just like motor oil.

I replaced it all 'just because'. There were no leaks that I could see.
BUT, once I saw how bad the belt was cracked and never replaced, I just figured while we are in here go ahead and do it all anywhow.
I plan to keep the truck a long time, so it's money spent now instead of later.
There was nothing however that was terrible...it was just 'time' Could I have gotten another 100k? maybe...but why chance it.
Impressive to me that it went 285k like it was no big deal.
It was clear however the car had a good life (garaged, highway miles, near zero off roading, etc). It was used to mainly highway miles I have come to learn.

I replaced it all 'just because'. There were no leaks that I could see.
BUT, once I saw how bad the belt was cracked and never replaced, I just figured while we are in here go ahead and do it all anywhow.
I plan to keep the truck a long time, so it's money spent now instead of later.
There was nothing however that was terrible...it was just 'time' Could I have gotten another 100k? maybe...but why chance it.
Impressive to me that it went 285k like it was no big deal.
It was clear however the car had a good life (garaged, highway miles, near zero off roading, etc). It was used to mainly highway miles I have come to learn.
Just amazing!

FYI I've yet to see the seals leak even at 300K 20 year. I typically see tensioner weeping oil, water pump weeping a tiny bit on back side (no sign at lower t-belt cover weep hole) and bearings of pulleys sounding questionable at ~90K. Belts are always good at ~90K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom