Open Source Roof Rack idea, your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Eventually I want a prinzu type rack with sideplates and 80/20 x rails, a local shop is planning on building some for 100's and when they do, I'll get to partake in the development.

Until then, I just got an awesome deal on a Eezi Awning 270 and want to get it mounted up. I'm thinking of simply swapping the stock crossbars with some 3x1 80/20 chanel, utilize the stock sides and the 3x1's as load bars. This will allow me to easily load up my awning with minimal fab work and not too much $$. There is a 80/20 ebay store with drops and scratch and dent pieces, looks like I can get going for about $100 in hardware and bars.

Essentially I need to 46" bars and the "L" brackets and screws to mount to stock side rack bars.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I'll probably buy a few extra pieces to have. My intent isn't really to build and sell, just document and share. I think this is a simple enough project that anyone might be able to do for themselves. I think the 80/20 vendors can also do the cutting if your not comfortable with doing that. A hacksaw and a file will work, a power miter saw COULD work, but you need to slow the blade speed down, and get a blade with many more teeth, so I'm going manual.

I'll document the stuff I buy and what I need to do to get it all mounted up. If you guys like the product you can build your own, and if you LOVE it you can send me a gift card for Landshark LOL! I need the KISS Drawers!

Thoughts?

Eventually I want a prinzu type rack with sideplates and 80/20 x rails, a local shop is planning on building some for 100's and when they do, I'll get to partake in the development.

Until then, I just got an awesome deal on a Eezi Awning 270 and want to get it mounted up. I'm thinking of simply swapping the stock crossbars with some 3x1 80/20 chanel, utilize the stock sides and the 3x1's as load bars. This will allow me to easily load up my awning with minimal fab work and not too much $$. There is a 80/20 ebay store with drops and scratch and dent pieces, looks like I can get going for about $100 in hardware and bars.

Essentially I need to 46" bars and the "L" brackets and screws to mount to stock side rack bars.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I'll probably buy a few extra pieces to have. My intent isn't really to build and sell, just document and share. I think this is a simple enough project that anyone might be able to do for themselves. I think the 80/20 vendors can also do the cutting if your not comfortable with doing that. A hacksaw and a file will work, a power miter saw COULD work, but you need to slow the blade speed down, and get a blade with many more teeth, so I'm going manual.

I'll document the stuff I buy and what I need to do to get it all mounted up. If you guys like the product you can build your own, and if you LOVE it you can send me a gift card for Landshark LOL! I need the KISS Drawers!

Thoughts?
If I didn't already love my Gamiviti I would work out a deal with you ;)

It's cool of you to open source everything but your time is worth something, you're going to spend R&D a few times as you try one thing then another, and some folks prefer a kit ready to build and are willing to pay for that, so you may want to think about selling a few if the design works out.

True story: KISS Drawers were "only going to be one batch and make enough $ to buy a front bumper from Ben."

Now look at me - barely room to work in my garage...
upload_2017-11-22_12-55-25.png

Thoughts?
I've visited this idea many times, myself, before breaking down and buying one of Ben's modular aluminum racks. I think the main issue with using the stock rack side bars is the inability to get an even mounting surface along the whole roof. It'd be easier, I think, to start with some roof channel brackets from someone (Gamiviti, Trail Tailor etc.) and use the 80/20 to make both the side rails and crossbars. A corner bracket like this would be nice:
600_corners.JPG

Even just your standard 90* 80/20 corner brackets would be fine and you could make a simple, modular platform. Four static cross bars at all of the channel mount locations and sky's the limit after that. You can add adjustable cross bars, infill with mesh, add hinged portions, sliding drawers/ solar panel frames under the rack, etc. Sky's the limit:
4539695946_c560883254_o.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

This is input I was looking for!

Cruiser Dave, I'm not against starting something here but it's not my goal. My goal is to get this awning mounted for cheap, and get some experience with the 8020. I figured I'd open source it and if people want me to put together kits, well I can do that, right?

BEG, while it won't be exactly what I want long term, this solution should get the job done and I'm hoping somewhat cheaply, I guess we'll see.

Jahawk, accessories! Thanks

Rack is pulled, I'll measure and sketch tomotrow. Gotta go cook :)

I went through a lot of 80/20 when prototyping on my rack!
While they were a great product for some things they were not great for a roof rack IMHO.
They can be extremly noisy and are actually quite heavy on a full length roof rack. I found myself needing to bolt a lot of things through the bars, thing such as maxtrax pins, rotopax mounts, ect and you either have to drill the t-slot or build custom brackets which got old.
To cut down on the noise I tried the 1x3 with the 2 slots on top and while those were fairly quiet they were also fairly Flimsy. The larger t-slots with slots all around were much lighter and stronger but noisy.
For a full rack you would likley want 4-5 main load bars use info a larger profile and the 1x could be used as additional load bars.
For your application you may want to look into a larger profile to get the rigidity.
Also, the factory load bars are arched so I don't think you can fit a flat load bar on the factory side rails unless you build a riser bracket. Hope this helps!

I’m in the process of making my own 80-20, now finish because I broke my spine, move to a new city and the rack still on a POD

80-20 Polar bear platform, "Now is for reals' - ricardo kuhn (patineto)

But sincerely if is not fir my pride as a designer and also a plain old Man, I will just buy one of Benc’s roof racks just becauSe they are smarter and make more sense than any I see..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom