FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Cruiserheads, I will be driving my fj40 west to death valley on the 28 of Nov. via Las Vegas. Who knows the area around Death Valley? Does anyone know the location of the briefcase, or if it needs a ride to Cali. I'm planning on being there for 2 weeks exploring and soaking at the saline valley hot springs. All 40's welcome to join.

check out Lippincott Mine Road - great views along the ride, and you can get to the Racetrack Playa (don't drive on it) from the top

Yep, Lippincott is on the list. and Dedeckera canyon and so much more , i won't be able to fit it all in but i'll try! Hoping to see more land cruisers on the trails too! thanks for the input DSRTRDR.

A nice overview of the Furnace Creek/Badwater area from high up can be had from Mahogany Flats Campground, with a hike up to (or at least towards) the summit of Telescope Peak (11,049 feet).

Awesome idea John! I think I will hike to the summit . From Badwater @-282 to Telescope peak is a gruelling 11,050 ft. of gain!! Maybe I'll start from the campground. On a clear day I hear you can see Mt. Whitney from the peak! :)

Awesome idea John! I think I will hike to the summit . From Badwater @-282 to Telescope peak is a gruelling 11,050 ft. of gain!! Maybe I'll start from the campground. On a clear day I hear you can see Mt. Whitney from the peak! :)
IIRC the campground is at ~8,400 feet. After dark there was a lot of military jet traffic overhead, probably from China Lake to Area 51 :).

Well it looks like it will be a quick trip to grants pass for the next leg! Was planning some off-roading but fractured and tore my ankle. So I will try to keep this moving but I think 5 hours one way with busted ankle in a fj40 is all I can muster. Sorry guys was hoping for some beautiful Northern California scenery. Did get a pic of small buck in Bodega Bay!

IMG_0279.JPG

Sorry to hear about the broken ankle. When do you plan to get up to Grants Pass? I will pick up after that in Roseburg, OR. Planning...

Cheers.

How far north are you taking it Lorax?

I'm ready in Grants Pass and will try to get a couple of pics of the local scenery before meeting up with Lorax. Lorax what is your time frame on getting to Roseburg?

How far are you taking it TOY?

I could do 12/3, 12/9 or 12/10. I am in PDX, so I can meet myquestoyota between PDX and Olympia or whatever. Could do both in the same day (long day), or the next Sat/Sun.

myquestoyota, I can meet during the week in the evening if it is close to PDX. Once I have to drive a couple of hours round trip, I will push to the weekend.

Cheers.

I could do an evening as well but would prefer daylight. The weekend of the 8th is out as we have a memorial service north of Bellingham on the 8th. I can do 12/3 or 12/16 or 12/17. Figure to meet in Kalama maybe? That's halfway between Portland and Chehalis. Not too scenic but maybe the marina there? I have a connection in the Seattle area with a BJ42 RHD diesel that I'm anxious to check out. He's checking this thread as we speak.

So you could have bookend BJ42 experiences. I will drive my '81 BJ42 3B-T. Mine is LHD (canadian). Then the Seattle BJ42... Nice.

I will post up when I have solid plans for Roseburg. From there I can plan the next leg.

Cheers.

Sweet, looking forward to it! :bounce:

Where's our Seattle cruiserheads when we need them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom