Need a coil recommendation for my 6600 lbs 80 series. She's heavy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I took an almost 10,000 mile journey this summer with my 80. Marvelous experience. Once in a lifetime for me. One thing I learned; my truck is heavy.

My TJM 50mm progressive coils could not handle the weight in the rear. I'm 2900 in the front and 3700 in the rear per CAT truck scale. That's in fully, fully loaded, living out of the truck expo mode. I hit my 4x4 labs rear on EVERYTHING and I really shouldn't have.

Any recommendations for a more heavy duty spring? Am I just too heavy in the rear or am I heavy up front too? I am not planning on loading up that much again, maybe ever, so I don't want a spring that accommodates more than that recorded weight; I'd use that figure as a maximum.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

-- Beej

... One thing I learned; my truck is heavy.

Have heard that laying off the carbs has been helpful for some? :hillbilly:

Hardy har har!:rolleyes:

I know I'm not the heaviest guy out here. How is a guy supposed to gear the right springs for his weight when the coils just say "heavy" or "medium" :meh:

You might want to research the specs of available springs. Springs are very subjective- people ask different things from them, and what one person likes the next guy will hate. You have a starting point with your current springs and you know they aren't beefy enough, so get the specs for those and look for springs that have a higher rate. If there are options at that point, like progressive vs. linear, you would have decisions to make and opinions to ask for.

I know the specs aren't always easy to find, but they are available. You might have to ask the manufacturer.

There are charts that identify the added weights.

Do a search for "springs" and look for a thread called "The ultimate spring thread" or something like that. There is a chart that shows how much springs are rated for over the stock weights

i forget where i saw it but ome makes an extra heavy spring, guy had his cruiser loaded pu and truck and trailer combo was about 10k lb, most of that in the truck.

i have the second heaviest spring that Ironman sells for constant loads Just purchased Airlift helper bags to go inside the rear springs due to sag with the RTT mounted... The bags were $88, when unloaded the air pressure is minimum but when loaded down the psi goes back up.

What lift are you wanting to stay under?

I like my Slee 4" heavy fr / prog heavy rr's - but they are 4"+

I had a similar problem earlier this year after I ‘unfortunately’ weighed everything that goes into my 80 when i go camping........plus the front and rear armor, winch, dual batteries, sliders, rtt, etc etc I came up slightly heavier than yours so my next call was to Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton, CA.

Since I already had a 2.5 OME lift and wanted to keep something like that, we decided to go with OME3039 for the front and OME2868’s on the rear. I believe these are the heaviest springs that OME makes.

The ride is harsh when empty, which seldom happens, but very comfortable when heavily loaded.

Hope this helps you out ?

For anyone who does any decent amount of off roading, run the lightest, longest spring you can. For all practical purposes, it's probably better to run a 220lb/in coil with a spacer than it is to run a 300lb/in coil with no spacer. Etc.

^^^^^ @1973Guppie -

Did you mean to say a flexible spring & airbags?

It would make more sense that way (IMO), springs flexing for 'light' & just adjust airbag PSI for when loaded down.
Otherwise you only have a choice between 'cracked molars' & 'who punched me in the kidneys?' -as your 2 settings with heavy springs & bags.

I have the lighter flex leaf springs in the Tundra lift, airbags added for when I tow.
Gives me best of both worlds.

i run the OME 2418 and 2421 comp springs listed in the chart below. 300 spring weight up front and 280 in back. The front feels a little stiff but the back flexes great and doesn't compress much when i have it loaded up with gear and 5 people. I now have 4x4 front bumper and rear with dual swing outs and when i load it up it looks the same. i don't seem to have a side pic.

OME 2418 300 19.88/20.28
80 Series 3" Front

OME 2421 280 18.9/19.29
80 Series 3" Rear

WP_20170908_10_56_04_Pro.jpg

I was running following:

Front: OME 2850J
Rear: OME 2863

It was sagging big time as the cruiser was fully loaded, pic here:
K56q6P

IMG_7453 by jorge sanchez, on Flickr

Then I upgraded the rears to 2868 which is the biggest 80 spring OME has and it is much better:
20170716_194452 by jorge sanchez, on Flickr

I started with 863J and they were too soft, then went to 864's with 1" spacers and felt it was a bit too stiff. Then I went to Slee 4" Mediums, which are what I continue to have and really like. Granted, I do not know my weight...but for reference I was hitting my rear bump stops over dips in the desert when fully loaded on the 863Js. (rear plate bumper, 15 gal of fuel, 10 gal of tap water, 10gal of drinking water and food and supplies for 2 people for 14 days 250mi from the nearest town).

The difference from the 864's and Slee 4" mediums were not very different in appearance but the quality of ride was much better with the Slee.

Just for reference.. OME 864 on left Slee 4" medium on right.
20161223_135005.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
With a name like "Baja" Phile he might spend a little time down in Baja Mexico, and yes you do not drink the tap water down there. lol.

Is tap water not safe to drink where you are from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom