After 23 years I am finally here... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This week I finally found (got permission to buy) my dream vehicle. Back in 1994, I was in my first year of college at Southern Utah University. A group of us would climb into my friend's red 1989 FJ62 (Red) most weekends and head to one of the many national parks that Utah offers. I remember one Friday night, 6 of us (I know they only have 5 seatbelts) climbed into Red and went to Zion National Park. About 11pm, it started to pour. all six of us grabbed our sleeping bags, ran and climbed into Red. Did we drive home? No. 2 slept in the front seats, we put the middle seat down and our 3 nice coeds slept there. Where did I, the sixth person sleep? in the very back, sideways, in the fetal position, unable to stretch out all night, with 6 feet pressed into my kidneys for 6 hours. The absolute worst night I can remember (until last October's bout with kidney stones). And yet, I was in love (and not with the coeds).

So, this week, with some keen negotiating (with my wife, not the seller), I bought a blue 88 FJ62. I always thought I would get a red one, but this one spoke to me. I have printed all 300+ pages of the FSM and delivered donuts to my coworkers the next day to apologize.

She runs great. As with all older cars, I was sweating as she went through safety and emissions, but she passed. I know that she has a few oil drips and am going to have to go through and replace gaskets and fix as I go. First, however, Like most on here, I have to attack the front end, as it is bleeding and I suspect I will have to address the rotors and pads as well. I have a running list of things I need to/want to address and it gets longer everyday. I keep telling myself to take it slow and resolve my mechanical issues first.

The frame is straight and other than some bubbled paint under the rear window and by the drivers door handle (about the size of a nickel) it is pretty rust free. She even has a driver seat with no tears. Is that the FJ62 version of the unicorn?

I have been glued to this site for the last several days. I cannot be more impressed with the unity and friendliness that exists within this Land Cruiser community. You are all so supportive of one another. I hope to not only benefit but to (eventually) contribute as well.

Awesome! Welcome to mud (finally). Suu's a good place to have a cruiser. You still in that area?

Welcome! Take it slow (ha, like you have a choice), Rome wasn't built in a day. You are on the right track. Don't start immediately throwing things at or on it yet. Drive it, enjoy it, get to know it. She will tell you in good time ALL that it needs and it will need a LOT! Save your pennies and your impulses and you will be fine, proud, and amazed at this new era of your life (Cruiser fatherhood).

Pictures or your story is exactly that, a story:). Seriously, the search feature is your very best friend followed by the FSM but I see you've taken care of the FSM part. Along with the great, knowledgeable and friendly members, the vendors on the forum can pretty much take care of your cruiser parts to keep your new girl happy. Welcome to the forum and post some pictures:D

Last edited:
Welcome to the cruiser madness/sickness.
And congrats on your find.

Congrats! Let’s see some pics! I second just driving it for a bit to see how it goes.

Oh and Welcome to Mud :flipoff2: <——— Official Mud Welcome

Pics??? welcome:)

Blue ones are prettiest! Welcome to the world of first name basis with the USPS, and UPS delivery persons![/QUO
This week I finally found (got permission to buy) my dream vehicle. Back in 1994, I was in my first year of college at Southern Utah University. A group of us would climb into my friend's red 1989 FJ62 (Red) most weekends and head to one of the many national parks that Utah offers. I remember one Friday night, 6 of us (I know they only have 5 seatbelts) climbed into Red and went to Zion National Park. About 11pm, it started to pour. all six of us grabbed our sleeping bags, ran and climbed into Red. Did we drive home? No. 2 slept in the front seats, we put the middle seat down and our 3 nice coeds slept there. Where did I, the sixth person sleep? in the very back, sideways, in the fetal position, unable to stretch out all night, with 6 feet pressed into my kidneys for 6 hours. The absolute worst night I can remember (until last October's bout with kidney stones). And yet, I was in love (and not with the coeds).

So, this week, with some keen negotiating (with my wife, not the seller), I bought a blue 88 FJ62. I always thought I would get a red one, but this one spoke to me. I have printed all 300+ pages of the FSM and delivered donuts to my coworkers the next day to apologize.

She runs great. As with all older cars, I was sweating as she went through safety and emissions, but she passed. I know that she has a few oil drips and am going to have to go through and replace gaskets and fix as I go. First, however, Like most on here, I have to attack the front end, as it is bleeding and I suspect I will have to address the rotors and pads as well. I have a running list of things I need to/want to address and it gets longer everyday. I keep telling myself to take it slow and resolve my mechanical issues first.

The frame is straight and other than some bubbled paint under the rear window and by the drivers door handle (about the size of a nickel) it is pretty rust free. She even has a driver seat with no tears. Is that the FJ62 version of the unicorn?

I have been glued to this site for the last several days. I cannot be more impressed with the unity and friendliness that exists within this Land Cruiser community. You are all so supportive of one another. I hope to not only benefit but to (eventually) contribute as well.

4F17DD7E-30E1-406B-9B2F-DDEA0ED56ADC.jpeg
C524E9EC-9394-4C07-A1FA-E9C9A13F5262.jpeg
92C48C01-88C0-4326-BD77-1FDDA58018A5.jpeg
696EF290-334D-40DD-B643-86040F8768F8.jpeg
29F9099F-E461-4138-86B6-33A33A86D1B6.jpeg

Welcome! Take it slow (ha, like you have a choice), Rome wasn't built in a day. You are on the right track. Don't start immediately throwing things at or on it yet. Drive it, enjoy it, get to know it. She will tell you in good time ALL that it needs and it will need a LOT! Save your pennies and your impulses and you will be fine, proud, and amazed at this new era of your life (Cruiser fatherhood).
Great advice. Thanks!
E3B24728-F6BC-4E47-917F-1ADEB0D6C4A2.jpeg

Pictures or your story is exactly that, a story:). Seriously, the search feature is your very best friend followed by the FSM but I see you've taken care of the FSM part. Along with the great, knowledgeable and friendly members, the vendors on the forum can pretty much take care of your cruiser parts to keep your new girl happy. Welcome to the forum and post some pictures:D
Fair enough. Pics added.

Blue ones are prettiest! Welcome to the world of first name basis with the USPS, and UPS delivery persons!
Haha. I’m not really sure what I got myself into, but at least I have a huge pile of money...oh wait. Crap, how am I going fund this?

Great looking 62! If I'm not mistaken your rear shackles are oriented backwards. More knowledgeable folks will chime in as to whether or not I'm right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom