Buying a high mileage 09, what to watch out for? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or, instead of stretching your budget to only afford a lower condition 200. Why not just buy a very nice 100 and have mod, gas, and travel money?

I've considered this too. I may end up going this route. But man that 5.7L drives so much better than the 4.7. so much more power. It's very helpful with the kind of traffic and crazy driving conditions here.

Save your money and get a 200. I did the 100 to 200 thing and my only regret is not getting a 200 sooner. The 100 is a classic but the 200 is a legend.

Review of the 09 in question:

Drives well. Has Old Man Emu suspension. Probably 1 or 2 inch lift. Suspension does not compare to original factory smoothness in stock 200s. You feel all the bumps on the road with the Old Man Emu. It has 33" Toyo Mud Tires 10 ply. Arb aluminum series roof rack and ARB front and rear bumpers. It looks awesome. Motor runs smooth. No signs of leaks. Interior is clean with signs of wear. Color scraped off steering wheel controls, etc. Good shape. Body has numerous dings, small dents, chips, scratches. The rear fender panel is a loose piece of plastic that seems like it would flap around and make noise in the wind at high speed. Some hail damage on the hood.

I found out that I HATE the operation of the ARB rear bumper tire swingout and would never buy one. The little lever is in such an awkward position. Hidden below the tire on top of the bumper. The lever itself is not ergonomically designed for a human hand. The black plastic sleeve that gives it its color slid off, ripped, and crumpled the first time I tried to open it. The red/yellow lights that the bumper fits over do not seem to be lining up correctly as they are not centered in the cutouts. And on this particular truck the tire gate did not want to latch shut. After a dozen hard slams it finally engaged the latch. Also, the salesman had absolute hell trying to get the rear hatch open. It may be an easy fix but something is sticking or the button is not working properly. I am constantly in and out of the rear cargo area of my rigs so this is not worth the trouble to me. I'm often carrying gear/equipment and only have one free hand to open the rear, so that pita tire swingout is a no go.

It will probably make a good buy for someone else. Allegedly, it belonged to the owner of the dealership and he..allegedly.. always did all maintenance on time and took great care of it. Mostly highway miles going back and forth between Odessa and Witchita Falls. When I asked about all the dents and scratches the salesman kind of avoided/deflected the question so this truck was probably a kind of rich guy hunting rig. Plus a bit of drunk trail driving I'd wager.
They did admit that he had used this on his "Ranch" mostly shuttling other rich guys back and forth from the airport to the ranch to go "Hunting" (rich Texan "hunting" often means cocaine and hooker parties in a remote location) but i digress.

Seems like a solid rig but not for me. At the price they're asking I would need a better suspension and rear bumper situation. That's several thousand dollars on top of what they want. I expected a lower price for all of the body damage too. Plus its very high mileage for my taste.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. I'll keep looking.

Mostly highway miles going back and forth between Odessa and Witchita Falls.

I call BS. No one, and I mean NO ONE, would go to Wichita Falls on purpose.

As for the rest. Probably a good idea to wait for another one to pop up. Sounds like it was beaten on. Open up your search to other states. A couple hundred in airfare to fly out to get the right rig is a small price to pay.

@TonyP This makes me laugh....I've been to Wichita Falls five times all against my volition. I think my time there has come to an end but maybe hell will freeze over and karma will catch up to me.

Anyway, agree with most of the posts here, that rig is priced too high. I've been researching a ton for the last few months between 100s and 200s. You can definitely score a much better deal. Have you thought about the LX570? Don't know if you're head strong for an LC for namesake or exclusivity but the LXs are sweet and can be found for cheaper with equal or less miles.

@TonyP This makes me laugh....I've been to Wichita Falls five times all against my volition. I think my time there has come to an end but maybe hell will freeze over and karma will catch up to me.

Anyway, agree with most of the posts here, that rig is priced too high. I've been researching a ton for the last few months between 100s and 200s. You can definitely score a much better deal. Have you thought about the LX570? Don't know if you're head strong for an LC for namesake or exclusivity but the LXs are sweet and can be found for cheaper with equal or less miles.

Judging by your location and your frequent visit to the WF, I'm guessing Air Force? Furthermore, send me some Cocos! I went to Korea just to get a follow-on back to Kadena so I could shove level 7 chicken katsu in my face for two more years.

You guessed correctly, I might get shot for asking but are you Wpns or Ammo? I think I read a thread where you were talking about GBUs etc. Get me your address and I'll hook you up with some prepackaged stuff. It isn't as good but still hits the spot. Funny my first time at CoCos, I said, "what's so special about this stuff...meh." Then a few days passed and I was like, "holy s*** I need some CoCos!" It's Thanksgiving here today and we are contemplating going there! Are you at Hill still? I have a few bros there, wish I could go to the 388th MXG but probably not in the cards for my next assignment.

You guessed correctly, I might get shot for asking but are you Wpns or Ammo? I think I read a thread where you were talking about GBUs etc. Get me your address and I'll hook you up with some prepackaged stuff. It isn't as good but still hits the spot. Funny my first time at CoCos, I said, "what's so special about this stuff...meh." Then a few days passed and I was like, "holy s*** I need some CoCos!" It's Thanksgiving here today and we are contemplating going there! Are you at Hill still? I have a few bros there, wish I could go to the 388th MXG but probably not in the cards for my next assignment.

Yup, Ammo.
You're a loader?

Yeah man, Cocos is dangerous. My first time in Kadena ('02-'04), fresh out of tech school my sponsor brought me to Cocos and then out to watch drifting. Those were the years, Gate 2 street used to be insane. Waking up in a cardboard box at 5am and stumbling through the gate. Such good times... but by my second assignment there ('13-'15) the car scene is basically dead and Gate 2 is almost empty. At one point, as an NCO, I couldn't even leave my apartment unless it was going to or from work due to restrictions. Times are changing...

Anyways, yes I'm at Hill. Our 35s are over there now so I know a bunch of ammo dudes to send Cocos and cases of chuhai, so don't worry about it. Thanks though :)

I used to be an Engine troop on the Vipers for about 7 yrs but I crossed over back in '08 to acft mx ofcr. I got here in '15 so DEROS coming up soon. You're right about changes, curfew and alcohol limitation in full effect due to the Marine killing a LN by DUI in a GOV. Not good. And Gate 2 is definitely not the whisper alley it used to be. Jet bar is still strong and kicks ass though!

To the OP, sorry for the highjack!

Allegedly, it belonged to the owner of the dealership...

If I had a dollar for every time I heard from a salesman or someone on this board who heard from a salesman that the LC or LX was owned by the: owner of the dealership, the wife of the owner of the dealership, the sales manager, the wife of the sales manager. It makes you wonder if anyone drives 200s besides owners of dealerships! :D

If I had a dollar for every time I heard from a salesman or someone on this board who heard from a salesman that the LC or LX was owned by the: owner of the dealership, the wife of the owner of the dealership, the sales manager, the wife of the sales manager. It makes you wonder if anyone drives 200s besides owners of dealerships! :D

I believe his name was Mr. Haney "It's a bargain at any price...".

...Yeah I'm old

I used to be an Engine troop on the Vipers for about 7 yrs but I crossed over back in '08 to acft mx ofcr. I got here in '15 so DEROS coming up soon. You're right about changes, curfew and alcohol limitation in full effect due to the Marine killing a LN by DUI in a GOV. Not good. And Gate 2 is definitely not the whisper alley it used to be. Jet bar is still strong and kicks ass though!

To the OP, sorry for the highjack!

Idk what you fellas are talking about, or what language your speaking
But cheers gents :beer::beer:

Yes, sorry for the hijack. :)

If you have any more 200 questions ask away or if you find one around Utah let me know, I'll take a look for you.

No worries! And thanks. I'll keep looking

You'll want to put the VIN into the Toyota Owner's page to see any dealer maintenance.

www.toyota.com/owners/login

That’s a very helpful tip! It told me that a 09 with 90k I was looking at came from NJ and had not had any engine maintenance done yet. Run away screaming!!!!

(It was also $4k over NADA, I thought I would at least check maintenance records. If from Rust free area and very well serviced, I might have considered going to dealer for in person look.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom