Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well Doc a bikini in this weather ought to keep the high beams on!

Well Doc a bikini in this weather ought to keep the high beams on!

That is a sight that I am sure no one here wants to see. . . :eek:

Beautiful Autumn Day Today! The smell of dried leaves was in the air and the hum of agricultural engines droned from all directions as everyone is hurrying to harvest the corn with a window of dry weather.

The sun popped out for a time and the temps were up enough to go for a drive. In addition to my usual attire I was wearing a fleece pullover, hat, and rather large smile.

IMG_6627.JPG

If this stretch of road looks familiar its because I stopped at the same spot to take pictures during my maiden drive. It is flat and provides a good view of traffic forward and back -- drivers out this way have a heavy foot and Id hate to explain causing an accident for build thread material/images.

Mowed the lawn. . . perhaps for the last time?? I would think so but I thought that the last time I mowed. Capped the crisp evening off with a little combustion in the fire pit. It only seemed proper after the day's activities.

IMG_6654.JPG

Mrs. TractorDoc likes here marshmallows on fire. . . I prefer mine with a bubbly outer crust and no char.

I did not put the cover on the 40 or put it into winter storage upon today's return. There just might be one more day of nice weather to go for another drive. . .

View attachment 1568299

Mrs. TractorDoc likes here marshmallows on fire. . . I prefer mine with a bubbly outer crust and no char.

I did not put the cover on the 40 or put it into winter storage upon today's return. There just might be one more day of nice weather to go for another drive. . .

Now that's as close to being out camping as you can get without being out there. Someday I will have a fire pit on the patio, but gotta build the patio first (has to have a roof over it for the winter rains we get).

Don

Doc I’ve read your build over the last few nights. What great work! Thanks for photos. Gives me inspiration to get my 40 finished and drive her! Great job

Now that's as close to being out camping as you can get without being out there.

I love the senses that stir from a campfire, and the fire pit provides a nice ambiance here at home.
As much as I love the outdoors, I will admit to preferring a bed at the end of the day vs. a sleeping bag at this point in my life though.
In my younger days I could sleep on anything and just about anywhere, in fact I spent months travelling across Australia and then a bit in Hawaii more or less living out of a tent. I took a look back thru one of the scrap books and found a picture of our group's tent city -- mine is the small one in front that does not look like the others.

IMG_6667.JPG

I also came across another page of interest and maybe even somewhat relevant. . .

IMG_6664.JPG

The point here is not that I used to run around with sleeveless shirts and a mullet. . . but instead that I was drawn to and collecting Land Cruiser imagery long before I was ever able to own one.

Now that our trip down memory lane is over. . .

40 looks amazing. Great job!

Doc I’ve read your build over the last few nights. What great work! Thanks for photos. Gives me inspiration to get my 40 finished and drive her! Great job

Thank You both. Ive tried looking thru some of your past posts Jennifer to see more of Hester Sue; unless you've changed some things Id say your 40 looks rather nice!

At the moment my 40 is still holding a place in the shop but it is moving closer to the door as a few other projects find their way in. I do have a sneak peek of a future enhancement that was recently acquired:

IMG_6567.JPG

I think the half doors will be a nice summer time addition and should keep the stuff I set on the floor or passenger seat a little more secure while travelling. So far I like the look and quality of the doors themselves; hopefully they compliment the 40 and fit correctly once painted and the hardware is bolted in. Not sure if Mother Nature will allow any more paint work to be done outside this year; I may have to clear everything out of the shop and spray indoors!

I love the senses that stir from a campfire, and the fire pit provides a nice ambiance here at home.
As much as I love the outdoors, I will admit to preferring a bed at the end of the day vs. a sleeping bag at this point in my life though.
In my younger days I could sleep on anything and just about anywhere, in fact I spent months travelling across Australia and then a bit in Hawaii more or less living out of a tent. I took a look back thru one of the scrap books and found a picture of our group's tent city -- mine is the small one in front that does not look like the others.

View attachment 1571549

I also came across another page of interest and maybe even somewhat relevant. . .

View attachment 1571551

The point here is not that I used to run around with sleeveless shirts and a mullet. . . but instead that I was drawn to and collecting Land Cruiser imagery long before I was ever able to own one.

Now that our trip down memory lane is over. . .

Thank You both. Ive tried looking thru some of your past posts Jennifer to see more of Hester Sue; unless you've changed some things Id say your 40 looks rather nice!

At the moment my 40 is still holding a place in the shop but it is moving closer to the door as a few other projects find their way in. I do have a sneak peek of a future enhancement that was recently acquired:

View attachment 1571562

I think the half doors will be a nice summer time addition and should keep the stuff I set on the floor or passenger seat a little more secure while travelling. So far I like the look and quality of the doors themselves; hopefully they compliment the 40 and fit correctly once painted and the hardware is bolted in. Not sure if Mother Nature will allow any more paint work to be done outside this year; I may have to clear everything out of the shop and spray indoors!
Where did u get the half doors?

Where did u get the half doors?

Cool Cruisers of Texas.

CCOT Half Doors

Yes, I paid over the top stupid money that could have been better spent elsewhere. I will be eating PB+J sandwiches (crunchy peanut butter, of course) and Ramen Noodles for lunch for awhile, but I am happy with the doors. After 40 plus years I know myself well enough and have a good grasp of what I like/what I do not. I wanted something with an OEM look; the latch on the Bestop or Aqualu doors looked too "Jeepy" to me. The only OEMish options I could find were offerings from CCOT or from a seller on E-bay. The E-bay seller's doors were about half the price but looked a bit rougher around the edges, the inner panel is open to the door's internals, and he was out of stock until December. I tried to justify the purchase half a dozen different ways but in the end the CCOT option just had the look that I wanted.

I used some rolling clothes racks as stands to apply some epoxy primer.
Attention K-mart shoppers, primer spray in aisle two. . .

IMG_6580.JPG

The racks actually did come from a closing K-mart; I thought they would be useful for painting parts. The Mrs. caught sight of them and thought they'd be useful for organizing the closet. Somehow one of the racks has found its way into the bedroom and has clothes hanging from it. Hopefully closet organization happens quickly so painting can continue. . .

One of the items that I frequently installed professionally was closet organizers. A very common practice was to put two closet rods (one above the other) in a vertical space to hang shorter items like shirts and skirts. An area with single rods for hanging long items, like dresses and dress slacks was much smaller as most people don't have as many now as they used to. This automatically almost doubled closet space. Very useful ideas, especially in older houses that usually had much smaller closets.

You might consider getting someone to build your wife some closet organizers so you can get your "paint racks" back.

Don

Oh Don, if only it was that simple. . . :)

You see, the Mrs. looks at shoes, jewelry, and clothing the way we look at tools, truck parts, and FJ40s. Her closet is the equivalent of my workshop. You are spot on in that closet space was minimal (or nonexistent) in our older home when we acquired it. One of the agreements to us moving out in the middle of nowhere to a rickety old house was that Id fix her up a nice closet space. I created a 150 square foot walk in closet area with built in shelves, cabinets, and yes, double hanging rods to house her possessions. Just like my workbench (at times) her items have accumulated to the point that she is having a difficult time finding something she is looking for. I would provide a picture if everything was not in disarray during the reorganization. . . and I think something would happen to me in the night if I started posting images of her attire in the 40 forum. I don't make a big deal of the closet and she does not get too concerned about the amount of time I spend in the shop. . . we work well that way. ;)

To be fair, she lets me have a small section in the corner to store my jeans and shirts. I bet its crossed her mind that she would have all the space she needs if only she could use that corner!

You see, the Mrs. looks at shoes, jewelry, and clothing the way we look at tools, truck parts, and FJ40s. Her closet is the equivalent of my workshop. You are spot on in that closet space was minimal (or nonexistent) in our older home when we acquired it. One of the agreements to us moving out in the middle of nowhere to a rickety old house was that Id fix her up a nice closet space. I created a 150 square foot walk in closet area with built in shelves, cabinets, and yes, double hanging rods to house her possessions. Just like my workbench (at times) her items have accumulated to the point that she is having a difficult time finding something she is looking for. I would provide a picture if everything was not in disarray during the reorganization. . . and I think something would happen to me in the night if I started posting images of her attire in the 40 forum. I don't make a big deal of the closet and she does not get too concerned about the amount of time I spend in the shop. . . we work well that way. ;)

To be fair, she lets me have a small section in the corner to store my jeans and shirts. I bet its crossed her mind that she would have all the space she needs if only she could use that corner!
That sounds like a workable balance of power.:rofl:
My wife has jound a solution by using a big part of an other room to store the stuff from the other season.
I’m afraid we just need a bigger house with a shoe room.:hmm:

That sounds like a workable balance of power.:rofl:
My wife has jound a solution by using a big part of an other room to store the stuff from the other season.
I’m afraid we just need a bigger house with a shoe room.:hmm:

Sounds oh so familiar. Our wives must be related, or at least grew up as best friends. Only problem, I think the disease is spreading. My dad has been gone since a few months before 9/11. We moved out to the place where I grew up to be with mom, and we now have the place. Dad grew up in the depression era and never threw anything away. I now have all his stuff, and have never gone through all of it. When we moved out to be with mom I burned piles of lumber and plywood scrap because I knew that there was no room for all my stuff and dad's.

Now that I'm "retired" I think my favorite place is Habitat for Humanity's store. I look at all that stuff and think "Hmmm, what could I use that for"? Or, "that doesn't have much use, but it sure would make the fire in the wood stove burn longer". See what I mean? The disease is spreading, only thing is that my stuff has a lot of use somewhere. Maybe that is why I have to hang on to the old 40.

Don

Been working with a bunch of Jacka**es this past week. . . literally.

IMG_6687.JPG

The folks took a road trip to Florida to visit some family and I was volunteered to keep the farm running while they were gone. The donkeys are very personable but are quick to nibble on a finger or your clothing if you are not paying attention.

Running the 40 the last few months Id notice the temperature gage moving closer to the "H" after idling for awhile. I thought I had burped the cooling system sufficiently but the gage was suggesting otherwise. I realize a numerical gage would be more accurate and a someday project will involve installation of modern oil pressure, temperature, etc. gages as the 40 gets more use. For now I acquired a no spill funnel and let the 40 run in an attempt to expel any trapped air.

IMG_6677.JPG

Its a good thing I do not like citrus Gatorade. . . Id hate to have swapped my antifreeze mix with a beverage. :yuck:

The effort seems to have paid off thus far. After a test run and idling for 20 minutes the temperature needle is hanging close to the low normal range.

IMG_6679.JPG

Still working on a plan to get the doors covered in paint. The weather has become more seasonal but I am still optimistic I can get them done. . .

I've heard donkeys are extremely smart and kind animals.

True, and at times they can be very stubborn!

A quick post to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
I am thankful for a lot of things. . . including the MUD Forum.
Hopefully everyone gets their fill to eat and a little time off to spend with family. A quick picture from the back porch (from earlier this year) to wet your appetite -- no, none of these made it to the table.

IMG_6297.JPG

Normally I spend the day after Thanksgiving at home or the office but this year I may be out with the masses on Black Friday. :nailbiting: The bearings in the washing machine at the vet clinic are on their way out; thought it might be a good time to pick one up. All the advertising highlights TVs, phones, and video games but maybe there will be one waiting for me out there somewhere. . . wish me luck!

True, and at times they can be very stubborn!

A quick post to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
I am thankful for a lot of things. . . including the MUD Forum.
Hopefully everyone gets their fill to eat and a little time off to spend with family. A quick picture from the back porch (from earlier this year) to wet your appetite -- no, none of these made it to the table.

View attachment 1579256

Normally I spend the day after Thanksgiving at home or the office but this year I may be out with the masses on Black Friday. :nailbiting: The bearings in the washing machine at the vet clinic are on their way out; thought it might be a good time to pick one up. All the advertising highlights TVs, phones, and video games but maybe there will be one waiting for me out there somewhere. . . wish me luck!

Happy Thanksgiving, Dave.

Ha, I just spent last saturday replacing the tensioner pulley on our 10yo dryer. $20 in parts and she's good as new again. It fried the main board last year and i was able to fix it by resoldering one of the pins that the power routes through. The Mrs. has been salivating over the new laundry equipment for the last few years but I have been able to keep them functioning thanks to youtube and a great parts shop. Maybe its my irish frugality or it might be the challenge, but i cant see paying the price for a new set.

Thanks Jesse.

I will definitely call you when I have issues on the set at home again. I replaced the washer motor earlier this year with a successful result but electronics are not my area of expertise. Getting the washer fixed was a priority because the Mrs. likes things to match -- our set is long obsolete so if I was replacing one I was replacing the other. :greedy:

I picked up the clinic machine several years ago refurbished/second hand and it gets run nearly every day. Ive always had some version of GE or Maytag but may go more commercial this time with a Speed Queen or similar (probably will not find one of those at the Home Depot though). I will be sure to let everyone know how it works out -- I bet everyone is on the edge of their seat!

Might get excited if you bring it home in back of your 40.

Might get excited if you bring it home in back of your 40.

As much as I'd use any excuse to take the truck out for a spin. . . picking up a washing machine was not in the cards. Discussion over Thanksgiving dinner revealed that the brother has a nearly new machine that needs a new home. That revelation provided enough free time on Friday to move some things around in the shop and get some paint on those doors.

IMG_6582.JPG

I convinced the Mrs. that my painting would take much less time than closet organization and wheeled the clothes rack out to the truck before she could change her mind. It should be back in her possession by tomorrow.

Weather has been pleasant the last two days and Mother Nature provided a colorful display via sunset.

IMG_6696.JPG

Tomorrow is looking like a firewood day. . . unless I cannot keep my hands off the sandpaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom