The dreaded "what's it worth" thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
May be time to sell the beast. She's treated me very well, but my family sold their house where I used to store it, so I sent it to my friend's place in South Carolina. He was providing love, but he has three kids, one of whom was diagnosed with cancer (she's in remission now and doing great). Anyway, it is more or less just sitting down there, which as we know is terrible for these trucks.

I'm debating moving it along to a new home.

It's an 85 FJ60. I believe the engine was taken apart at some point in the past, and bored out, but not positive.

Some body work has been done, with a bit of rust on the Driver's A pillar. A little rust over the wheel wells too. Otherwise fairly dry. She likes to mark her territory with power steering fluid and oil. Both manageable.

231k miles
OME suspension
Wagon wheels
New interior
New stereo with ipod hookup
Dynamat throughout interior
Jim Chenoweth Carb included along with original
New water pump (2009)
New fuel pump (2014)
Emissions spaghetti redone with red (faster) silicone lines
Tinted windows
62 Aussi mirrors
ARB air locker in rear
Solid Rock Off road custom rear bumper
Wizard (?) low rise front bumper
Warn 9k winch with remote (used a handful of times)

Drove her to Alaska and back, no issues. Drove her to my friend's place in South Carolina, no issues. She's a great truck. Not sure I want to sell (I know I don't), but also not sure what the alternatives are.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

Nice looking truck! Sorry about the circumstances. I would think it would be worth $7-$8K in the Carolinas and at LEAST $1K more in New York.

:cry:So sad, but its cool that you would rather have someone driving and enjoying it than have it sitting.

She's shiny for sure. I think Farman33 is spot on but I'd wouldn't sell for less than 10K.

List it on eBay with a $20,000 dollar reserve and find out.

Pix of the rust would help a lot - some A-pillar rust is just a blip or two, and some is chronic.

I think it costs a percent of the reserve to list on eBay. Not sure. That could be an expensive proposition. For less than 10k I'll roll the dice on my friend babysitting even if not as lovingly as id prefer. Closer to 20 and id talk about moving it. Will try to get some detail pics.

Do your trucks really not leak oil? Now I'm starting to feel bad.

Appreciate all your input.

Do your trucks really not leak oil? Now I'm starting to feel bad.

Appreciate all your input.
Sure, they leak . Most probably have some rust too but we aren’t selling. It’s just a negotiating point for a buyer.
When I bought I got the price down because it didn’t pass emissions.

Sure, they leak . Most probably have some rust too but we aren’t selling. It’s just a negotiating point for a buyer.
When I bought I got the price down because it didn’t pass emissions.
That's fair. Fortunately everything pre obd-II in New York is emissions exempt. Just safety now.

I'll post some interior and rust photos, then see about the ebay and Craigslist appraisals.

Thanks again.

I would not even consider paying over 10K for a FJ60/62 that has any rust.

Last edited:
Oil leaks and rust can cost a awful lot to repair. If you are selling a fj60 with 2500 in oil leak repairs, and 4500 in rust repairs, is it fair to sell it for over 10k and expect the next owner to flip the additional bill for those repairs as well as for going through the trouble to get said items repaired? The last land cruiser I flipped I made sure had no leaks, because I knew how expensive they were to repair and how much it would affect its selling price.

6K sounds like the starting point to ask
I agree no leaks increases $, BUT rust decreases $$ very quickly. I'm no expert, but some of these are fair opinions.
Nice looking rig, and if you sell it hope you get what you want for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom