Is it feasible...?? corbeau reclining seats LG1 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Patineto

"Clueless" fourwheel rabbit
Threads
Website
patineto.smugmug.com
Olay my back is really mess up and sincerely not getting much better (six fusions) so im exploring “bucket seats”

So far this LG1 - Reclining Seats - Corbeau Racing Seats Corbeau’s
Are winning, they are affordable and fit me like a glove (not so much the truck)

I don’t really care to lose the motors and make manual adjustments, but it will be awesome to retrofit the OEM base actuators (I have not look into it)

Can it be done..??
(I’m a pretty decent fabricator and designer)

They do make mounts for the 80 series Toyota Landcruiser FJ80 90-97 Seat Brackets - Corbeau Racing Seats

That will be kind of simple to remanufacture, but they don’t provide any angle or height adjustments..

Or are they better alternatives..??

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Anything can be done, there are a bunch of variables that either make a project difficult or damn near impossible. The Corbeau brackets are pretty basic, if you are going to be trying to adapt a power base it will be sandwiched between the bracket and actual seat base, or retain the OEM base and build a frame to adapt your seat. I'd explore the latter first.

Nike my friend.......................................just do it!

Show us what you come up with

Basic comparation...

E3471E60-98D3-4C5A-9145-519265C2441A-L.jpg

I start working on them next week..
B97016C0-2E8C-4B45-83C9-A70472E71A42-X3.jpg

Hopefuly I get to fit all the adjusters besides the recliner since the height (thickness of the bottom) different is about 4", very exited they fit me like a glove..
75268A8E-0F5B-4F50-879D-094EACC58410-X3.jpg

By now I'm pretty sure I can keep the whole lower structure of the OEM seats and install the bucket seat ''on top''

But now I'm wondering if it make more sense ''build the wings" and then make my custom Covers (I used to have a ''R&D'' shop making all kind of bags, shoes, whater was utilitarian and for heavy use,
392C7A32-6F94-4DAB-B3CC-1787EBC619E2-X3.jpg

Plus, hey great excuse to get a walking foot sawing machine.
Basic-seat-comparation

Last edited:
Basic comparation...

I start working on them next week...

Hopefuly I get to fit all the adjusters besides the recliner since the height (thickness of the bottom) different is about 4", very exited they fit me like a glove..

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like it. The OEM seats definitely aren't terrible but I'm interested in how these turn out.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like it. The OEM seats definitely aren't terrible but I'm interested in how these turn out.
I find the stock seats comfortable even with my bad back and very adjustable (all the adjustments I need) but with my weak core I feel every turn (and I live in flat minneapolis that has no hard turns) plus it will be nice to have some additional side ''movement'' protection just in case of a crash..

If I rebuild the stock seats, I want to ''fence them IN'' like a real bucket seat, but keep the ''flat'' contact points as they are..

FYI: Whatever you do don't break you back, hell a break a leg 20 times before I break my back a gain..

I contact some old friends and business associates in the motorcycle saddle making world (James Renazco & rocky meyer) and hopefully I be getting some ultra dense “foam” pretty soon, to make the “Wings”

Already got a “electric knife” from
The goodwill so I’m ready to o carve..

Since the truck has s a dayly driver, I plan to do one seat at the time (hopefully they are interchangeable, yeah I don’t care for the armnrest)

Wish me luck

Be sure I will take a bunch of pictures and share my findings..

Okay I got almost all I need to start making the Bucket seats...

Thanks to turkey day I got my self a awesome electric knife to cut and shape the foam for almost nothing..

Got a half sheet of HDPE (High Density poliethilene) so I can thermoform the ideal shape (I do need something much stronger than my current heat gun) maybe crude molds and the kitchen oven..

The high density foam chunks are coming from my friends, and I already have the frames fully disensamble..
33D7563D-C843-4F19-B046-7959BF9C59CA-L.jpg

I feel comfortable taking this route, the heated seats here in minneapolis are kind of a necesity as well as the variable back support, plus challenges are fun..
5B13DE1B-92E3-4E13-BAC8-57FCA10A9294-L.jpg

Time to start with cardboard muckups to figure out the ''reteiner walls'' and then fine tune the plastic with the heat gun...

One thing, well two things is a sawing machine and the mine to buy the leather, no big deal I figure something out..

Last edited:
Since my first attempt is going to be kind of a crap shot I was wondering if somebody will be willing to donate their old greyseat cover, I paid for shiping., I just think I be less tense if I'm not wasting a ton of money in leather hides..

So who is game...???

Another piece of the Puzzle..
685F5807-E2D7-4F84-B676-1C581C6445D6-L.jpg

Singer Slant-o-Matic 500 A.K.A. ''Rockettier''

601CE551-D4C4-4A27-BDD0-E88814831710-L.jpg

Sure is not a SailRite, but is gear driven and very powerful for how little it is..

Now to find the leather and wait for the foams to arrive..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom