Castrol GTX 15-40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
At my local Walmart they had Castrol GTX 15-40 for $7 a gallon. I bought 7 gallons and then read online they changed the formula and it may not be okay to run in my gas engine. Can one of you oil guru's chime in on this? It says:
  • Castrol GTX Diesel is applicable for gasoline and diesel light trucks and passenger cars where API CJ-4, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF SL or SL SJ engine oil are recommended

Here's a link to the spec's. :
Castrol Diesel Oil, GTX Diesel Engine Oil | Conventional Oil, Conventional Motor Oil | Motor Oil, Engine Oil | Castrol - Motor Oil, Engine Oils, Full Synthetic Oil, Transmission Fluid and Lubricants

I bought a couple gallons of that stuff as well and then I returned it after reading the same stuff that you did. I went back to regular old 10W30 because I just replaced both cats and I do not want to ruin them.

I am off the diesel oil for the time being.

Its SL API rated so it is usable in gasoline engines not the best

a2.JPG
a1.JPG

Castrol GTX Diesel is applicable for gasoline and diesel light trucks
where SL or SL SJ engine oil are recommended. it has current certs.

As per Lexus
Oil grade: API grade SH, Energy-Conserving II multigrade engine oil or ILSAC multigrade engine oil.
No Problemo it's newer than your engine.

I've been running Rotella in it for the past 3+ years. Is this pretty much the same?
No way I'm wasting the money on Mobil 1 for this engine. I use it in my wife's BMW but feel it's overkill for this thing.

I've been running Rotella in it for the past 3+ years. Is this pretty much the same?
No way I'm wasting the money on Mobil 1 for this engine. I use it in my wife's BMW but feel it's overkill for this thing.

5 quarts of mobil 1 10-30 is $25 at walmart. I can use it in my snow blower, generator, fj80, rav 4, and subaru imprezza. Seems like an odd place to save $5 every oil change, if for no other reason than the simplicity of having one type of oil for every engine I own.

5 quarts of mobil 1 10-30 is $25 at walmart. I can use it in my snow blower, generator, fj80, rav 4, and subaru imprezza. Seems like an odd place to save $5 every oil change, if for no other reason than the simplicity of having one type of oil for every engine I own.
Mobil 1 is $27 with tax. Rotella is $14 with tax. Everything I own is 2 stroke so they don't get oil changes. This isn't a "which oil is best" thread. It's a "can I safely use Castrol GTX diesel oil that I got a good deal on in my 80" thread. Thanks anyways.

Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 Motor Oil - 1 gal
Mobil 1 10W30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil / 40.99 gal
Lucky you to have WallyMart

Go by your environment, modern oils are fine for pretty much any old style engine as long as you don't need a starter handle, If you live in Alaska 15/40 is too heavy otherwise go with it.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom