1946 Bantam T3C Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after months of searching for some sort of trailer to haul some camping gear around with I settled on a Bantam. The trailer had had some issues with it that needed to be addressed first. The biggest issue being the floor had been replaced and fastened with rivets. It was quite scary to tow it down the highway, watching its flimsiness flow with the wind.

Before the white-knuckle drive home.
20170805_094015.jpg

The future plans for it are to make it sturdy and rigid again. The body will need to be stitch welded and reinforced. Also in the plans are a lid that will open from the passenger side and a tailgate that will open just as the FJ's does. Itll have flat fenders that I later found on Craigslist for $10. I want to have matching wheels and tires so I ordered up a custom axle through Redneck Trailer Supply.

On its way to my buddys house to start this build!

20170914_070639.jpg

The first night at the shop we got it separated by grinding off all of the rivets, we got the axle in place and even fabbed up a rear bumper to house the new light locations.
20170915_204807.jpg

A few nights later we got the top half stitch welded to the bottom half, reinforced the side ends, and some angle iron welded along the top for some added reinforcement. Its starting to take shape!
20171003_211142.jpg

I was concerned about the coupler and the places I wanted to take this. I wasnt really feeling the prices of the Max Coupler or the Lock n Roll. I found a guy who made his own for a fraction of the cost. Going off of his parts list I went to the local Tractor Supply and gathered up the necessary parts to fab up our own. $44 dollars and a few hours later we had a functioning 3 axis hitch.
20171010_211826.jpg
20171010_211935.jpg

Fast forwarding a few weeks and it was time to start on a lid. It originally was going to be just a flat frame but we didnt think that it could support the added weight I planned on adding in the future. So we changed it up and made the frame to mirror the shape of the tub. This would also help gain a few inches in height. I also got the landing gear welded on (not shown) and the tongue box installed. Might as well mock up the fenders at this point. Next order of business is to get the tailgate made up.

20171015_174032.jpg

20171015_174044.jpg

Can you please post up a link to the parts list for the home-brew lock-&-roll?

Nice work. Keep it up!

Keep it coming. I just bought a Bantam yesterday and am trying to decide what to do with it. Would you be willing to share details on your axle? Mine's still rocking the 5 lug.

They are some neat little trailers aren't they?!
The details of the axle are:
Dexter 3500 LB idler axle with EZ Lube,
6x5.5 lug pattern. The following measurements are for the backspacing of my wheels and the length is for width of my tires plus 2" of clearance. The axle measures 54" hub face to hub face and the spring perches are 36" on center. To give you a piece of mind with these measurements a stock 16" wheel with a 285 fits just fine and the spring perch can be axle over or axle under because it is a straight axle. Hopefully I made some kind of sense here.

10/21/17
Got skunked fishing today so decided to put in a little work on the trailer. Today's agenda was to get the tailgate hinges made up and sort out the latching system. Since its a swinging tailgate my options for latching securely are slim. I want it to have a nice seal against the outside elements and I needed to have a lock on it we decided on a semi trailer like latch. It consists of two mounting points with a rotating bar that'll have a handle that swings into a hasp where the lock will be. It's not quite done yet as I need to order up the hasp/handle system but here is a sample of today's work.
20171021_160502.jpg
20171021_160516.jpg
20171021_160509.jpg

11/20/17

I made a little headway over the weekend. I was able to get the lid skinned and tailgate skinned up in some 14 gauge material. Also added a little "awning" on the lid over the tailgate to keep Mother Nature from flowing directly onto the tailgate weatherstripping. We also got the latching for the tailgate buttoned up. Tomorrow I should be able to finish up the last of the fabrication work for the lid struts, lid latches, and hang the fenders.
20171116_205037.jpg

20171116_205052.jpg

20171116_205117.jpg

Thanks! So far its good. I stood up on the lid and bounced around and it barely even moved.

Nice, I'm curious to see how mine runs out with a load in it. BTW, have you done any strengthening to the box frame ? I ended up bracing mine today, the amount of torsional flex was a bit alarming.

Nice, I'm curious to see how mine runs out with a load in it. BTW, have you done any strengthening to the box frame ? I ended up bracing mine today, the amount of torsional flex was a bit alarming.
The only bracing I did was add the rear "bumper" on the frame ends.

You might check my 2nd to last post over in my build. Essentially I was able to warp mine by hand. I added some bracing underneath to correct the issue.
Ill have to check tonight to see if Im getting the same thing. Thanks for the heads up!

11/21/17 I finished up all of the fabrication work. The lid ended up being heavier than I thought and the 150lb (each) gas struts wont hold it up. It might be the angle on them but I ordered stronger ones (250 lb) with a longer stroke. The next step is start prepping for paint and then get it wired up.

20171121_212850-01.jpeg

Testing out the wheel and tire combo.

20171121_192253-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom