Should I buy another FJ just for parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice here guys. I've been driving my triple locked '93 around for a couple years now and I'm finally in a place financially where I can start making some improvements/changes. I was thinking about getting a parts truck. I'd like to swap out the electric seats for manuals (I know, weird right. I just don't like dealing with the electric ones breaking all the time). I'd also like to change the headlights and the hood back to the stock look. The prior owner(s) don't have as good of taste as I do ;)

Any advice on the practicality of getting a parts truck? I think I can get a same year FJ with the manual seats for 2K. The current owner is selling because "the engine knocks." I've seen pictures and it looks clean inside and out.

If I do get a parts truck, any advice on parting out the items I don't need? What do I need to keep for likely failures in the future?

Fzj80.jpg

I did it. Its nice just to have the parts to diagnosis issues. Store your abs valve with fluid still in it, same with motor etc with rad fluid to prevent corrosion

Yes. Look on CL fir one or five.
You should get a 93 or 94.

Yes.

Just keep the parts you want/need, and if you pay under about 2k, you'll easily recoup all your costs, assuming the rig you get is complete.

Just make sure you're fine with having a decaying hunk of steel at your place- it takes time to strip it out, and wives/neighbors/HOAs don't have a ton of patience with junk sitting about. Hopefully you have the space for all the parts you'll keep. Keep it a rolling chassis for as long as possible.

I sold a non-locked front axle quick, but a non-locked rear is harder to sell- I ended up gutting the axle for parts for when I eventually break mine, and gave the axle housing to a friend who was going to make a diff/locker workbench out of the housing (after significant modifications).

I was in a bit of a hurry due to having to move to CA, but if you have space and can be patient and have a good FJ market nearby, you should easily make money on parting.

I would gladly trade you factory lights for yours...

Last edited:
Yes. Justify it what way you need to to yourself.

Yes.

I was at the junkyard last spring and found a 95 LC. I pulled out every single interior bolt/screw I could find. I cannot tell how how priceless that little exercise has been for me. Best thing I ever did.
Right! I think that might be the biggest benefit.

Yes.

I was at the junkyard last spring and found a 95 LC. I pulled out every single interior bolt/screw I could find. I cannot tell how how priceless that little exercise has been for me. Best thing I ever did.
Thanks bro

Came here to say this
I ended up with a 1994 parts rig accidentally when I rolled nearly two years ago. I have cruiser parts stashed everywhere now. I think that rollover may have saved me money in the long run. Ok, maybe not, but a good parts rig for 2 grand is a no brainer if it isn’t trashed.

Last edited:
What a GREAT idea! Now you have me thinking... have several acres... could stockpile enough parts for the Y3K crisis yet to come...

What a GREAT idea! Now you have me thinking... have several acres... could stockpile enough parts for the Y3K crisis yet to come...

and that is how i ended up with 6 80s in the yard at once. i have since dialed it back a bit but it can get out of hand quickly

If you need to ask, you need one...

I’ve never really had a parts rig. I’ve just pillaged everything off of the two 80s that have ever hit the junkyard in town. Like @NLXTACY I took every bolt I could find. I have them sitting in an oil bath. They come in handy.

If I had the space and one came up I’d buy a dedicated parts rig. For now I just have 3 runnings 80s with one relegated to garage queen. If I need to rob something off of it I have a few months before it will be back out on the road.

Yes. Over and over again. You can part out a few things and get your money back and then sit on a bunch of parts.

I’ve never really had a parts rig. I’ve just pillaged everything off of the two 80s that have ever hit the junkyard in town. Like @NLXTACY I took every bolt I could find. I have them sitting in an oil bath. They come in handy.

If I had the space and one came up I’d buy a dedicated parts rig. For now I just have 3 runnings 80s with one relegated to garage queen. If I need to rob something off of it I have a few months before it will be back out on the road.

But if you had a parts rig for $2k, you could of had a free rear window -- BAM, saved $500.

Do any of the 3fe engine accessories (alternator, starter, ect) work with the 1FZ-FE engine? I have a non-operational 91 I must get rid of due to lack of space and was wondering what parts I should pillage before I junk it? Is there anything major I am overlooking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom