Looking for Diesel with sub tank here or Europe for running SVO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently in the market for a VX with a sub tank. I am going to run off SVO and I figure the sub tank is set up perfectly for it already. I wanted to see if anyone else is doing it and what modifications they have had to do to run oil? I am planning on dropping the main tank to add a heater and use the sub as my diesel tank. I have not researched an out of tank in line heater. I am working with a friend to import one when I find it. I found a truck in Amsterdam but it is registered 10/93. It will take too long to sit and wait for it to become legal to import. I would be happy to find one here :rofl: but yeah. Figured this is as good a place as any to start my research. I used to run all my cars and work trucks on my own biodiesel. It was a lot of work to make, and I did not like storing the methanol drums. I figured that running SVO will take just as much work, but will not involve the carport full of explosive gas and a reactor.

Ha. good luck with that, these are as rare as factory winches. the sub tankss were mostly fitted to Aussie (and maybe Asian?) trucks, hardly see them in the UK or Europe. If you already found one in Amsterdam, I would possibly re-think that.

Or you could attempt to retro-fit the tank and wiring etc, but its expensive, with very rare parts, and quite involved, as I remember.

I was looking at just the tank here for about 2 years (while it was still in stock) FUEL TANK (OEM 77001-35983) at around £220 it was reasonable, but start looking for dual neck fillers, transfer pumps, gauges, switches etc and we were quickly into the many 00's

Easier to go with an aftermarket or custom tank.

Yeah I was surprised to find one that quickly in Amsterdam. It is still there for 7500E but as I mentioned, it could not be imported here until October. The sub tank assembly can be found for about $1200 every now and then here on Mud. But it really does look like a lot of work to install. If I were to put my own system in, it would be aftermarket with a recirculation heater, new pumps and an aluminum tank. It just would be nice to buy a truck with a push button already factory installed. I just wanted to know if anyone did it already and if they bothered with an oil heating system.

Yeah I was surprised to find one that quickly in Amsterdam. It is still there for 7500E but as I mentioned, it could not be imported here until October. The sub tank assembly can be found for about $1200 every now and then here on Mud. But it really does look like a lot of work to install. If I were to put my own system in, it would be aftermarket with a recirculation heater, new pumps and an aluminum tank. It just would be nice to buy a truck with a push button already factory installed. I just wanted to know if anyone did it already and if they bothered with an oil heating system.

I have always liked the idea of a dual fuel WVO system, but as you say the cost/work seems excessive enough to put it way down my list. I think (from a very vague memory) that LandcruiserPhil may have retro-fitted the stock system to his.

Last edited:
Did you mean the WVO system in general or using the stock Toyota system was difficult in its own way? No question using a WVO system can be a pain

lol. well both, first even sourcing all the parts to make it stock, then adding the WVO bits into the equation would be next level hassle

here's Phil's thread Factory Auxiliary Sub Tank Install

Yeah I saw that thread. If I do it, tjat is a great instrucive thread.

I think everything is still available, even the sub tank, from Toyota in Japan. Expensive and probably better to go with one of the aftermarket versions. I talked to an expert who had written a couple books about using waste oil and he said that the idle temps are too low and will eventually have problems on straight veggie oil. The recommendation is using a 50/50 mix or switching over to straight veggie only for higher rpm's (temps). He mentioned design of an automatic switching system that would alternate fuel source based on the rpm's. Seemed a little complex when a mix is easy to come by or make.

That is the reason for the dual tanks. You run the truck on diesel until the engine warms up. At the same time, a recirc line is using coolant fluid to heat the oil. When the engine gets warm enough, you switch to oil. All of that can be done automatically with a themo switch. The key though is switching back to diesel to clear the lines of the thicker oil before shutting the engine down. I would like to work on a switch that continues to run the engine after turning the key so I don't have to remember to switch it when I get to my destination. Making it automated would be convenient. But by using a truck with a factory sub tank,all I am looking at is a little electronic mods. And it isn't even really necessary. Well, besides the coolant lines to heat the oil. I wanted to see if there was some way to do that without drilling into the tank.

I stopped using vwo (got red diesel from Germany 50 cents/liter) but if you want me to check the Amsterdam truck, I am there Thursday.
With you knowledge building home-brew tank to fit seems a better solution, the hj61 had after running to cool turbo? (I thought it had optional possibility to keep the engine running to cool the turbo?)
Anyway, it comes with a manual. (vwo setup mostly involves an extra switch or something that needs to be explained to the driver)

Last edited:
I did not quite understand all that. I have a friend there to look at the truck. Problem is the date of registration. I would have to keep it there until October before I could bring it here. I don't want to wait that long. I think a 60 would be great, but I already have a ton of parts for my 80 that I plan to use. I appreciate the offer though. Keeping it there for a year would be way to expensive unfortunately.

I think everything is still available, even the sub tank, from Toyota in Japan. Expensive and probably better to go with one of the aftermarket versions. I talked to an expert who had written a couple books about using waste oil and he said that the idle temps are too low and will eventually have problems on straight veggie oil. The recommendation is using a 50/50 mix or switching over to straight veggie only for higher rpm's (temps). He mentioned design of an automatic switching system that would alternate fuel source based on the rpm's. Seemed a little complex when a mix is easy to come by or make.

Steve, I'm pretty sure that 80 series sub-tanks themselves are a discontinued item and NLA.

I think you're better off with aftermarket. Factory sub tank is small and there's a lot of room under the rear floor with no spare down there.

Yeah I would agree unless it already came with one. That would make it worth a lot if it is already done. I agree on the size though, it is kind of small. I would be using the sub tank for the diesel though. WVO would go in the main tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom