Complete sudden brake failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a common issue with high mileage 100s, happened to my wife luckily in a parking lot when the siren went off and brakes went out. Mine was the electronic brake booster pump that went out. I just replaced that booster pump and rig has been fine since.
What part number would I be looking for to replace just the brake booster pump on my 99?

glad you're fine.
Have a look (and respond to) the survey and the big threads on the issue.

Sorry for the long wait.... life and weather have been in the way. I ordered the ABS pump that 470SNC linked above and finished the install tonight. Removing the old pump, I discovered this:

My LX is from the San Diego area originally before being purchased by me in Arizona last May. It's only been in Kentucky since August. I was shocked at the amount of corrosion. I got one screw off but the other is rusted on. I cleaned it up a little but couldn't do much with it.

After installing the new pump and reassembling everything, topping off the fluid and pumping the pedal a few times, pedal feel returned to normal and alarm and dash ABS and brake lights turned off. Took it for a quick spin around the block, braking several times in a row, no issues. Still need to do a full bleed but it seems my issue was the pump.

It wasn't all bad, while my LX470 was out of commission I ripped out the AHC and put in an OME medium lift. Still need to install my UCA's and get an alignment done.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Anyone know if the replacement parts permanently fix this issue, similar to the 100s ignition cylinder? PO had this failure and replaced everything.

Sorry for the long wait.... life and weather have been in the way. I ordered the ABS pump that 470SNC linked above and finished the install tonight. Removing the old pump, I discovered this:

My LX is from the San Diego area originally before being purchased by me in Arizona last May. It's only been in Kentucky since August. I was shocked at the amount of corrosion. I got one screw off but the other is rusted on. I cleaned it up a little but couldn't do much with it.

After installing the new pump and reassembling everything, topping off the fluid and pumping the pedal a few times, pedal feel returned to normal and alarm and dash ABS and brake lights turned off. Took it for a quick spin around the block, braking several times in a row, no issues. Still need to do a full bleed but it seems my issue was the pump.

It wasn't all bad, while my LX470 was out of commission I ripped out the AHC and put in an OME medium lift. Still need to install my UCA's and get an alignment done.

I assume you've a rust free rig other than those wires, nuts & screws?

I replaced an ABS unit this summer, on a rust free 98. A clean rig but yet had that same rusty wire nuts & screw.

I'm starting to wonder if we've ABS units weeping brake fluid on those.

Last edited:
wonder if it makes sense to proactively refit the booster pump at 200k miles...

I assume you've a rust free rig other than those wires, nuts & screws?

I replaced an ABS unit this summer, on a rust free 98. A clean rig but yet had that same rusty wire nuts & screw.

I'm starting to wonder if we've ABS units weeping brake fluid on those.
Yes, not a spec of rust anywhere else on or under my LX.

wonder if it makes sense to proactively refit the booster pump at 200k miles...
For the cost, I'd say go for it. It would be worth it just for the peace of mind for me. Install was really easy, from removal of the whole assembly, swapping out the ABS pump, and reinstall took about 1.5 hours.

Be interesting, if you'd bench test the old pump to see if runs.

Tested my old ABS pump, won't power on at all.

Man, now I'm getting all nervous about my new to me cruiser. Hate having to quiz my wife about what to do if the brakes stop working.

No CEL or alarms. Mechanic pulled some codes. Just bought a Ultraguage blue to assess what kind of codes are being generated. Are they any codes in particular that should ring some alarms with me?

C1226
C1252 come to mind. Will your Ultragauge pull the Toyota codes? Get a TIS Techstream instead (cost me $30 and will need a Windows XP laptop around) You'll know because you will hear the accumulator/ABS motor run more often with a buzz after 3-4 stops on the brake.

EA6DA693-6118-4A62-81A4-716EEA4F79CF.jpeg
What do the following tech stream codes point to? ABS booster pump linked to above? Currently the brakes feel fine so I’m wondering if the codes are a warning for brake failure in the near future?

What part number would I be looking for to replace just the brake booster pump on my 99?
@vanqu1sh , I just replaced the brake booster motor and accumulator on my 99. Part 47960-60010 should be just the motor. found here
-- oops, just saw your post that you already replaced it...

Last edited:
So does this mean that the contact corrosion was not the cause of the pump failure?

Correct, corrosion seems to have had nothing to do with my pump failure. I am assuming it was just worn out from age. I wasn't able to really clean the corrosion on the terminals and the new pump is working fine. Drove about 100 miles today with tons of braking, no issues.

Whelp I just pulled c1256 on my ‘98 with 103k. The brake booster runs for 35~ seconds but the level is above full. I don’t recall seeing this before.

My rig is CLEAN with dealer service records up until the day the prior owner stopped driving it.

I was hoping to not have to do brakes until summer but this pushes up my time frame. I’m going to get techstream to get a better read out than what Orielys told my wife.

If my wife and I weren’t trying to buy our first house I’d be tempted to let the dealership fix it since my wife and kids safety is more precious than money.

C58864D7-6847-4BEF-BA64-FAE9A286F46B.jpeg

I didnt have brake loss, but after replacimg my rear pads 2 monghs ago in Oregon, when i got on the highway the next day, suddenly ALL the breaks locked and the rear swinged to the right, abs sign on, all this lasted abot a second,,,,, what was that????????

Happened a month later on slight downhill near santa monica!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom