RTH - big time fuel vapors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys I'm on a 4 day trip through the Eastern Sierras and had a bit of a hiccup last night.

5k miles ago i swapped the factory charcoal cannister for the aftermarket one everyone uses. I forget the part number.

I also recently put in a new fuel pump relay.

Car has been great, but after climbing the silver canyon trail to 10,500 ft yesterday, i came to a stop and smelled STRONG fuel smell in the car.

We got out and turned the car off. Opened the gas cap and it vented a ton. Then closed it and after 30 seconds opened it again and it vented just as much.

Pulled the fuel line into the canister and started the car and it squirted a little bit of gas then stopped.

I put the old fuel pump relay back in and let the car sit for a bit then drove to our camp site with.no issues.

Anyone know why this happened? I feel like the amount of vapor was dangerously high. I was freaking out after hearing about that 100 series that burned down recently!

Thanks for your help.

mine does the same thing with a new canister. I started leaving my cap loose anytime i go up in elevation. I'm not sure how the 80 series fuel tanks are set up. I do not believe that the tanks have a pressure sensor. from what i read it appears that vacuum is applied to the canister once you reach a certain rpm. I'm not sure if that is correct though. I have considered removing the valve after the canister and tying the line directly to vacuum but not sure how that will work yet. Either way when you go up in elevation the fuel can vaporize much easier (lower atmospheric pressure). That is why you only notice it on elevation increases. everyone points to the canister as the culprit but honestly it has to be another part of the system that is not functioning properly

Buy non-ethanol fuel. That will help a lot.

Make sure your lines are hooked up correctly and make sure your gas cap is good. The tank is supposed to be under some pressure, which also raises the boiling temp of gas.

So by running with the cap loose / venting you are preventing this. Now the charcoal canister has a vent on the bottom where the filtered pressure is released.

Be very very very careful when you open up your tank or take the line off the canister so it can vent. A 100 series burned to the ground about a month ago when a static spark touched off the fumes venting from its improperly maintained tank vent system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom