FJZ80 LS swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
96A41E2A-F4E0-457F-980A-D1E2963E0986.JPG
ECCCE68E-4A0E-4599-B405-2FA20A79B014.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG
I just wanted to post some pictures of my 97 FZJ80 LS swap. I started with a bone stock 80 with a knock in the motor. I drove it with the knock while I gathered the parts needed to complete the swap. I purchased a wrecked 2001 chevy truck and used it for the drivetrain (5.3 vortec with 4L60 trans). The swap took my a couple of months to complete. The wiring was the hardest part. It runs great and is very dependable.
If anyone is looking for someone to do/help with a 80 LS swap free feel to contact me. If you have any question about my swap feel free to ask.

How are you handling the emissions issue in Tarantino county?

Nice work on the swap, looks clean. In addition I really like the body color snorkel, just as functional but not ugly :)

No problem. They hook it up to the computer and it's all good. As long as the check engine light is not on and the computer is ready.
You had to load data into ecu, right? What cats and exhaust? Dakota digital to get gauges working? Cruise work?

You had to load data into ecu, right? What cats and exhaust? Dakota digital to get gauges working? Cruise work?
Cruise will work but I didn't hook the cable up to the throttle body yet. Yes on Dakota box. I'm only running up stream o2 sensors so I don't have cats. I had the cruiser tuned to delete a lot of the stuff that I wasn't using. I had it road tested while it was being tuned so all of the shift points are set. I think that helps with the drivability of the cruiser.

Cruise will work but I didn't hook the cable up to the throttle body yet. Yes on Dakota box. I'm only running up stream o2 sensors so I don't have cats. I had the cruiser tuned to delete a lot of the stuff that I wasn't using. I had it road tested while it was being tuned so all of the shift points are set. I think that helps with the drivability of the cruiser.
You only need upstream to get through inspection unless they do a visual. I'm stunned you didn't get a bunch of questions from the inspector. That emissions thing has been my biggest hang up. I live in Denton county.

You only need upstream to get through inspection unless they do a visual. I'm stunned you didn't get a bunch of questions from the inspector. That emissions thing has been my biggest hang up. I live in Denton county.
As long as they don't look good under the truck I'm all good.

Just a 90 degree elbow, a short section of straight tubing and a coupler on either side of the MAF for the intake? I like it! I definitely want to keep the stock intake setup when I do mine. Again on the cruise, will the stock Toyota setup play well with the gm throttle body? Or will you need any parts of the gm cruise control system to make it work?

Just a 90 degree elbow, a short section of straight tubing and a coupler on either side of the MAF for the intake? I like it! I definitely want to keep the stock intake setup when I do mine. Again on the cruise, will the stock Toyota setup play well with the gm throttle body? Or will you need any parts of the gm cruise control system to make it work?
If you have drive by cable them all you need is a Gm fitting and should be good to go. If you have drive by wire then cruise is a no go.

If you have drive by cable them all you need is a Gm fitting and should be good to go. If you have drive by wire then cruise is a no go.
Couldn't you just rum a GM cruise?

Love this setup. How is the power compared to the stock motor? Looks like you did most or all of the install yourself. What would you estimate your final cost to do the upgrade?

Love this setup. How is the power compared to the stock motor? Looks like you did most or all of the install yourself. What would you estimate your final cost to do the upgrade?
Power is great. It’s just a stock LS and it is night and day difference. You really notice it when you have it loaded down with gear.
My guess is about 3-4K to get started. I would budget another 500-1000$ for surprises that will come up. Other then the motor/transmission the adapters cost the most. I got a donor truck with a good power train so that helped a lot on cost.

Power is great. It’s just a stock LS and it is night and day difference. You really notice it when you have it loaded down with gear.
My guess is about 3-4K to get started. I would budget another 500-1000$ for surprises that will come up. Other then the motor/transmission the adapters cost the most. I got a donor truck with a good power train so that helped a lot on cost.

I'm sure the power difference is amazing. I was guessing it could be done for under 5K if you did most of the work yourself. Did you do the rewire on the harness, tuning, and computer flash yourself? Looks like a clean install. How did the transmission shifter work out on the inside? Was wondering how factory it would look. I've got a 5.3 LM7 currently sitting in my garage but it's going in a 77 FJ40 very soon.

I'm sure the power difference is amazing. I was guessing it could be done for under 5K if you did most of the work yourself. Did you do the rewire on the harness, tuning, and computer flash yourself? Looks like a clean install. How did the transmission shifter work out on the inside? Was wondering how factory it would look. I've got a 5.3 LM7 currently sitting in my garage but it's going in a 77 FJ40 very soon.
I did all of the wiring (longest part of the whole swap). The tune was done by others (500$ and Worth every penny). Shifter looks like factory. I took it apart and modified to work with a custom linkage. It works great. If you are ever in Fort Worth feel free to give me a call and you can look it over. You can take it for a spin and see if you like it.

I did all of the wiring (longest part of the whole swap). The tune was done by others (500$ and Worth every penny). Shifter looks like factory. I took it apart and modified to work with a custom linkage. It works great. If you are ever in Fort Worth feel free to give me a call and you can look it over. You can take it for a spin and see if you like it.

Sounds great. My stock motor is still in fairly good shape but as soon as it's done, I'm going to do the LS or a Cummins swap. I'm guessing the LS is at least 1/2 what a Cummins swap would be.

I've got several friends here that are in upper level racing business, building race motors and other stuff. They have more knowledge about the LS motors than I'll ever have or will probably even want to know. I'm depending on them for my wiring, computer work, and tuning on my FJ40 install.

I'm always interested in the cool swaps and upgrades that are done on here. I get to Dallas a couple of times a year so I'll take you upon the offer some time. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom