DIY: Rewire Toyota factory elec winch (Aisin) with Warn controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca
Hi folks
After spending quite some time the other weekend, I decided to write up this quick how-to for others. First off, I don't know about the 24V Aisin winch, or the older Warn controllers... but by following the directions found at

I went through many fuses trying to hook up my 12V Aisin winch and new style Warn controller.

I bought my new Warn controller and plug from Radd Cruisers in Duncan. It came as a kit for a very reasonable price. Thanks John, it works great!

In this controller, the wiring is as follows:

WARN controller wiring:
Red - POWER (source)
Brown - GND (ground to winch motor)
Black - GND (ground to exterior of motor, such as where the winch's main ground goes to. That's why the O ring on this lead is larger diameter)
White - Out Solenoid
Green - In Solenoid

AISIN 12V winch controller wiring:
White - POWER (source). - Only on when key is in ignition
Yellow w/White Stripe - power TO the relay / solenoid that provides the main power to the winch itself *See footnote below*
White w/Black Stripe - GND
Blue w/Red Stripe - In Solenoid (connect HIGH to start reeling in)
Blue w/White Stripe - Out Solenoid (connect HIGH to start reeling out)
Green - Temp. sensor, not used in the Warn remote. Just seal this one off and leave it disconnected

By using an ohm meter (in my DMM), I was able to identify that when you press the OUT button on the remote, Red and White have zero impedance. Meaning essentially they are connected. Then, when you press the IN button on the remote, Red and Green now are connected. Therefore, the Red is power in and White and Green were the outputs. Red and Brown and Red and Black never were connected, otherwise there would be a direct short (and you'll blow a fuse)

Speaking of fuses, FYI - the fuse the winch is hooked up through is a 7.5Amp fuse labelled "IGN" in the inside fuse panel, on an HDJ81 anyway.

* Confusion about the White vs. Yellow/White Strip leads on the Aisin 12V winch... The White is constant power, only while the key is in the ignition. This should help prevent someone from walking up and using your winch to pull your neighbours car through your yard. The Yellow is Power TO a relay/solenoid hidden in the engine bay. This relay/solenoid gives the winch it's MAIN power. So basically, to use the winch, you need your key in the ignition, and hook White to Yellow/White stripe. To keep the main power disconnected from the winch, I put in a simple toggle switch between White and Yellow/White Stripe and Red (on the Warn controller plug)

Step by Step
1. Remove the bumper. Take out the 4 bolts along the bottom, 1 in each side (near the tires) and possibly a couple along the top.

2. Remove the Aisin controller plug mount.

3. Disconnect the controller harness.

IMG_2031.jpg

4. Try to unscrew the Aisin controller from the mount. 4 LITTLE rusty screws probably hold it on. I had to use some solvent and a pair of plyers to remove them.

5. Unscrew the back of the plug, and remove the protective wire covering. Cross your fingers and CUT all the wires, removing the Aisin controller plug completely. No going back now! WARNING: Please make sure you don't have the key in the ignition while doing this work! You could probably either pull the IGN fuse or disconnect the battery to be on the safe side.

6. Custom-fit your new Warn controller plug into the little plug mount. I drilled 2 holes through the plug mount and used the nuts/bolts that came with the Warn plug.

7. Using some crimps, unsheathe each of the wires except Green.

IMG_2041.jpg

8. Put some heat shrink onto each of the wires, then solder or butt crimp each of the wires to their counterparts in the new Warn controller plug.

IMG_2044.jpg

• Warn RED + Winch Yellow/White Stripe --> {optional toggle switch} --> Winch White
  • Warn Brown --> Winch White/Black Stripe (GND)
  • Warn Black --> Connect directly to GND on outside of Winch motor (ie. Chassis)
  • Warn White --> Winch Blue w/White Stripe
  • Warn Green --> Winch Blue w/Red Stripe

9 CHECK YOUR WORK. Put the key in the ignition, and try using the winch.

IMG_2054.jpg

You can see the toggle switch I inserted here... later on, when I bought my Cruisin Off Road bumper, I moved the switch inside the cab and put it on the centre console.

IMG_2057.jpg

10. Re-attach the plug mount and the bumper, step back and enjoy your work!

By the way, the VERY NEXT DAY we used the winch :grinpimp:

Last edited:
A side note, the OEM winch main-power solenoid (under the left hand side battery box on the HDJ81) can be replaced with a Cole Hersee solenoid with similar specifications for about $60 from your local auto parts store. I cut the OEM connector off the old solenoid and added it to the Cole Hersee.

If your OEM solenoid looks like this, I highly recommend it (LOL)

2012-09-02 12.11.35.jpg

2012-09-05 12.08.00.jpg

2012-09-05 12.22.43.jpg

MagnetSwitch1Diagram.jpg

Oh, and you can run 100 feet of 3/8 synthetic line... been doing so for years now.

IMG_3691.JPG

Last edited:
WOW :eek:. Just WOW. Great work.

great job dude .. I just like so much the Aisin winch controller and the overhead light .. but I wish I could do something to the aisin connector ( that I move to my bumper now )

I know this is old, but?Is this all that is required to complete this re-wire.I have pulled the winch and cleaned it up, its 21 years old but never used! I hope it works, but I don't think there is a way to check till I get the controller.I read something about, the blue wire on the solinoids to both???

I know this is old, but?Is this all that is required to complete this re-wire.I have pulled the winch and cleaned it up, its 21 years old but never used! I hope it works, but I don't think there is a way to check till I get the controller.I read something about, the blue wire on the solinoids to both???

You bet! Just get yourself a Warn controller and plug kit. They sell them together like that so people can upgrade their old Warn winch plugs. But it works great for the Toyota OEM winch re-wiring as well.

You can check to see if it works without the controller or plug kit. The winch main plug needs only a couple connections before the relay will trigger and provide main power to the winch - as per the writeup below, attach WHITE (ACC from ignition) to Yellow w/White stripe and then attach White w/Black stripe to GND.

Now put your key in the ignition, turn it to ACC ON (right before starting). Then, touch

Make sure to reel out before trying to reel in :hmm:

For the length of time you touch one of the two blue wires to 12V, will be the length of time it reels for. If you screw up on the wiring you'll likely pop a fuse - a 7.5Amp fuse labelled "IGN" in the inside fuse panel inside.

You bet! Just get yourself a Warn controller and plug kit. They sell them together like that so people can upgrade their old Warn winch plugs. But it works great for the Toyota OEM winch re-wiring as well.

You can check to see if it works without the controller or plug kit. The winch main plug needs only a couple connections before the relay will trigger and provide main power to the winch - as per the writeup below, attach WHITE (ACC from ignition) to Yellow w/White stripe and then attach White w/Black stripe to GND.

Now put your key in the ignition, turn it to ACC ON (right before starting). Then, touch

Make sure to reel out before trying to reel in :hmm:

For the length of time you touch one of the two blue wires to 12V, will be the length of time it reels for. If you screw up on the wiring you'll likely pop a fuse - a 7.5Amp fuse labelled "IGN" in the inside fuse panel inside.
Thank you very much!!!

Pics have disappeared... any chance you may be able to throw them back up?

Pics have disappeared... any chance you may be able to throw them back up?
I can! Dropbox changed their linking system and totally effed me up.

Interesting, when I go to edit the post and change the IMG tags, they have been COMPLETELY removed.. no image tags anymore. So I don't even know where to point them. Ugh...

A side note, the OEM winch main-power solenoid (under the left hand side battery box on the HDJ81) can be replaced with a Cole Hersee solenoid with similar specifications for about $60 from your local auto parts store. I cut the OEM connector off the old solenoid and added it to the Cole Hersee.

If your OEM solenoid looks like this, I highly recommend it (LOL)

View attachment 2184193

View attachment 2184194

View attachment 2184195

View attachment 2184197
Oh, and you can run 100 feet of 3/8 synthetic line... been doing so for years now.

View attachment 2184196
Reviving this old thread. Do you have the part number for the Cole Hersee replacement solenoid? It looks like 24812, but I can’t quite tell from photos.

Reviving this old thread. Do you have the part number for the Cole Hersee replacement solenoid? It looks like 24812, but I can’t quite tell from photos.
Sadly I don't. Had I written this write-up now a days, I definitely would have thought of including that. :(

I am trying to wire up my OEM winch. The PO labeled all of the connectors except for one. It’s a two-wire plug on the original magnetic solenoid. Is this for ignition power? Because the winch will only operate with the ignition on?

IMG-8019.jpg

IMG-8020.jpg

IMG-8021.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom