Builds 1FZ-FE TRD S/C Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know. I saw that 1500lb rating. Others out there are a lot higher so it made me wonder about safety.

Just found out that the block made it to the dishwasher! Plugs out and broken bolt removed.

Hope it was washed and not hot tanked. Unless you have the brass bushing waiting to install :hmm:

Yep. Been over that with the machine shop. Not a problem.

Hope it was washed and not hot tanked. Unless you have the brass bushing waiting to install :hmm:

Edit: @NLXTACY /edit.

OK Joey - I'll bite. IDK why hot tanking would be worse over the 'dishwasher cabinet' (really most common now, isn't it?)

Is it some dis - similarity of metal leaving the brass bushing installed / it falling out or shifting & not being caught?

Sidenote & possible sales plug for you (maybe making your point for you, IDK) - is Rick's bushing now your 'turf' to distribute/sell?

--I ask as maybe having a mothballed 1FZ rebuilt is in my wheelhouse for some 'orphan motors' I keep sitting on a bald tire in my 'rebuild row' of motors.

/////::Cliff note:: -- what's the beef with hot tanked blocks as it applies to the brass bushing?/////

So there are a few methods for cleaning IRON blocks. Aluminum is a different animal altogether since heating it would cause it to anneal and chemicals could etch it.

For IRON blocks you have the caustic chemical bath/agitator, acid hot tank and the oven. The oven is what we used because it reduced the chemicals used and then the wash time and rust after. Hot tanking, which we also did before we got an oven, was the typical method for cleaning out blocks and iron heads because it worked awesome. The problem with hot tanking is it destroys the brass oil pump bushing. The oven isn't ideal for the bushing either because of the heat it's cooked at softens the brass.

The problem is the shop needs to know this ahead of time or else they may accidentally cook or hot tank the block with the bushing inside. If this happens you CAN get another from Toyota, but good news, it comes with a free short block.

This is were Landtank comes in. He makes a replacement and then I sell them ;)

Thanks for the plug :flipoff2:

I've never seen those over the years at the machine shop. Their bread and butter is Subaru aluminum heads. He explained the dishwasher as a non caustic cleaner. My block has already been through it and it didn't do anything to the brass bushing. This is the final clean with the oil galleys being brushed.

I've never seen those over the years at the machine shop. Their bread and butter is Subaru aluminum heads. He explained the dishwasher as a non caustic cleaner. My block has already been through it and it didn't do anything to the brass bushing. This is the final clean with the oil galleys being brushed.

Yeah that's for aluminum. It won't hurt the bushing.

Does anyone know or have information on if the newer 1FZ-FE fuel injectors and camshafts are an upgrade and interchangeable with the 97?

According to toyodiy.com:

1997 1FZ-FE Camshaft part #'s 13501-66020, 13502-66010
2006 1FZ-FE Camshaft part#'s 13501-66030, 13502-66020

I was looking at a 1997 overseas LC Owner's manual and the oil chart shows not to use 5W-30 above 50 degrees. The US manual says use 5W-30 at any temperature. That seems a little strange. The overseas one also says it's ok to use 20W50 above 20 degrees F.

Word from the machine shop is that the crank has been polished and is now finished. Yay!

Just read your thread, looks like u will have a nice running cruiser. If your timing chain tensioner has 300k miles on it I would replace it. Also, while you wait for the short block, you should consider having the head ported and lightly polished in my opinion. Or you could do it yourself, it's kinda cool to do it.

I just realized that I never posted that the block was finished in September and is on my stand.
1ECE594B-A459-4BD0-953A-472C29DA9457.jpeg
54F544D5-9FC3-4EEC-835C-E116CEBE395B.jpeg
5C9AA10D-8B45-40B6-B34A-3AC377A5F778.jpeg
83220827-57EC-4F34-86F9-B7FF832AC026.jpeg
05990663-0D4D-4A7A-A774-836843259D36.jpeg

Any problems with reusing the rod bolts or bearing cap bolts?

Personally I would have no problem reusing the main bearing bolts, but I would use new rod bolts.

Do you mind explaining the logic? Thanks!

Yeah that's for aluminum. It won't hurt the bushing.

It’s in spec and fine according to the machine shop. It wasn’t cleaned with any caustic cleaners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom