Good Deal on '88 FJ-62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a FJ62 with 178k miles. Has some rust, but not crazy. Guy says it drives well and is wanting 5K for it. That's a pretty good deal right? I haven't been looking for a FJ for long so I'm not knowledgeable yet on what to look for and good pricing, but that seems a lot lower than what I've seen.

I want a FJ80, but that one jumped out at me.

My advise is go test drive both. They are very different vehicles. I assure you that if you are buying a 4-5000 wagon it is going to need some work. Its costly and you are hopefully mechanically inclined otherwise you will be setting yourself up for headaches right and left. You will be up against front end rebuilds, oil leaks, rust repairs, etc. The more you can do some reading about what it means to own the 60 the better off you will be going into a purchase. Do not let the uniqueness of the vehicle drive your decision because reality can come crashing down real quick.

Thanks, that's probably what I needed to hear. I've got some light knowledge installing bumpers/lift etc, but not much engine or restoring experience. I'd probably be a lot better off getting something already in good shape and just adding the off road parts I want.

I found a FJ62 with 178k miles. Has some rust, but not crazy. Guy says it drives well and is wanting 5K for it. That's a pretty good deal right? I haven't been looking for a FJ for long so I'm not knowledgeable yet on what to look for and good pricing, but that seems a lot lower than what I've seen.

I want a FJ80, but that one jumped out at me.

Show us some photos. Much better looking than an 80. However, 80's don't rust nearly as bad and have a better suspension, so if it's your preference already then might as well wait for a good example.

Thanks, that's probably what I needed to hear. I've got some light knowledge installing bumpers/lift etc, but not much engine or restoring experience. I'd probably be a lot better off getting something already in good shape and just adding the off road parts I want.
Really depends. Don't let what @PortFJ62 said diswade you from going forward. I started with about as much knowledge and have been fine with my FJ60, but I went into it knowing that it would need work and I would need to learn. Since then I have taught myself a lot and even learned to some minor welding and body repair. All it relative to what your time investment is and how much you are comfortable with doing. This site is a HUGE resource and a huge reason for my success at doing what I have done thus far.

There is a FJ80 and FZJ80. Wouldn't consider a FJ80 with the 3FE. Had my FJ62 for going on twenty-five years. The under powered 3FE/A440f seems to find the leaf spring suspension. The 1ZF is a better fit in the 80 series. Those two are completely different vehicles.

Really depends. Don't let what @PortFJ62 said diswade you from going forward. I started with about as much knowledge and have been fine with my FJ60, but I went into it knowing that it would need work and I would need to learn. Since then I have taught myself a lot and even learned to some minor welding and body repair. All it relative to what your time investment is and how much you are comfortable with doing. This site is a HUGE resource and a huge reason for my success at doing what I have done thus far.

Can you tell that I am not much of an optimist? :rofl:

There is a FJ80 and FZJ80. Wouldn't consider a FJ80 with the 3FE. Had my FJ62 for going on twenty-five years. The under powered 3FE/A440f seems to find the leaf spring suspension. The 1ZF is a better fit in the 80 series. Those two are completely different vehicles.

Yeah, i've figured that part out. Sticking with the FZJ80s.

The roof above the gutters looks pretty messed up. Lots of rust and tell tale signs of previous body filler repairs which are failing. I wouldn't pay $5k for it based on that alone.

That's a fair amount of rust. I would look elsewhere unless you can repair yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom