Split case build date code. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nogo

SILVER Star
Threads
Gents, Are these numbers the build date code on a split case transfer?.....If so, anyone know how to decipher it?

Thanks.

P1050472.JPG

Anyone know what year/month code was the start of the 5th gear oiler provision?

Last edited:
10/82 is when it was suppose to start but have confirmed it. Since the change didn't effect the case as far as four speed if the waited until 10/82 to make change not sure. Since the US got so few FJ40s with split transfer cases might get a better answer in the 60 section.

Have a look at the H55 sections in the FAQ, you should find the info you need there

Have a look at the H55 sections in the FAQ, you should find the info you need there

Do you have a link a thread with specs? In the 40 series facs I seen two threads about installing a 60 series H55F into FJ40 and one into a FJ45 SWB. Steve's thread about installing one into 79 FJ40 is really long to search for a change date. 10/82 is the date in the parts system I've looked at. But because it was a change that didn't effect using it on a four speed not sure they waited until 10/82. The repair manual for the first speed is dated earlier in the year so they knew it was coming. So did they wait until 10/82 to change the casing or did they do it earlier since it wasn't effecting anything on the four speed.:meh:

I'm pretty sure it's in there, in one Georg's threads. I'll check later when I'm home. It's also possible he just told me on the phone last year when I did mine. Late '83 sticks in my mind but I don't know if that's worth anything lol

I'm pretty sure it's in there, in one Georg's threads. I'll check later when I'm home. It's also possible he just told me on the phone last year when I did mine. Late '83 sticks in my mind but I don't know if that's worth anything lol

Georg would be the one to know. He has a thread on transfer cases for the H55F in the 60 section but didn't find it in the FAQs list on the top. It's also a very long thread and if there a break down in thread I'm not sure. 10/82 is Toyota's listed date. Another thing to think about is the date code is on the bad half of the case and the oiler is on the front half. I still need to do some more homework on a transmission and transfer case out of a 82 model. Have the tub and know it's a 82 model. Mystery is from the date code I'll it looks like a 83 not a 82. If it was a 82 it should have a 4WD switch. In 83 the LHD 40 and 60 series had the 4WD light. It's have the switch. If when I can check it better to see the back half better to be sure it's a 83 back half with a earlier front half. As long as it's a 34 MM idler shaft would think they can be switched. Georg's thread also shows a extra hole that needs to be plugged on certain cases. Would be nice it this type of information was by itself in FAQs instead of buried in a long thread. Once I get my H55F from a BJ42 input shaft to work with a one from a F/H engine thinking of doing a thread on the install in my 79 as close as possible to stock. Been researching and gather parts for years. When finally able to get one from Australia with help there it pretty much has everything. Big question now is how hard is it in AZ to switch frame on my 79 with one from a 82. Would do away with a few mods and just bolt on.

I agree his post should be there in the FAQ. It's essential information for anyone doing the swap. I had to get the updated TC case from him as well as the transmission input gear but otherwise my internals dropped right in perfectly into the new case. I fill it up with gear oil and of course I forgot the big hole on the side where the switch goes, so it ran out all over the floor. Lol Fortunately the hole took a standard plug, so after that no leaks. I didn't have to do any mods to my '82 frame (build date 11/81), except I had to replace the frame entirely with one that wasn't completely rusted through (VT truck).

After reading some threads in the FAQ section, it seems to be an on going question as to what month in 1982 the casting for the 5th gear oiler became standard.

Ever since Mud has done some upgrades have had no luck searching on Mud. Did a search of threads started by Georg (@orangefj45 )and it brings up nothing like he hasn't started any threads.:bang: I agree that thread should be in the 60 series FAQS but it isn't.

Ever since Mud has done some upgrades have had no luck searching on Mud. Did a search of threads started by Georg (@orangefj45 )and it brings up nothing like he hasn't started any threads.:bang: I agree that thread should be in the 60 series FAQS but it isn't.
yeah, I am unable to use the search tool at all. It flashes results for split second and then immediately starts flashing no results over snd over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom