Our Travelogue... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I noted how many folks stopped to take photos of the group as you wound your way down Lombard Street, of course everyone there probably had their cameras out already.

I appreciate this even more now:

baton-1-jpg.1474694

Sure do give up a few things by living far from civilization, but to me it's worth it.

Thanks Mike you did a wonderful job keeping us on schedule I think with out you we might still be there shooting the crap!! It was also impressive how easy we made our trek through the city even with the problems.
I think we could not of asked for a more beautiful day. I asked the family how they enjoyed the trip and to my surprise it as unanimous they loved the trip. We don't get the chance to be around that many fj40's usually the dreaded j**p! I really enjoyed talking with everyone and looking over everyone's rigs from stock to heavily modified and everything in between. I think it would be cool if we could turn that pic with the writing into a sweatshirt. If you don't mind Me using the pic I will look into it? Thanks again for the day and the write up!!!

Thanks Mike you did a wonderful job keeping us on schedule I think with out you we might still be there shooting the crap!! It was also impressive how easy we made our trek through the city even with the problems.
I think we could not of asked for a more beautiful day. I asked the family how they enjoyed the trip and to my surprise it as unanimous they loved the trip. We don't get the chance to be around that many fj40's usually the dreaded j**p! I really enjoyed talking with everyone and looking over everyone's rigs from stock to heavily modified and everything in between. I think it would be cool if we could turn that pic with the writing into a sweatshirt. If you don't mind Me using the pic I will look into it? Thanks again for the day and the write up!!!

Yes for sure you can totally use that image. Grab the one from the smugmug link as it is full high resolution (too big to post on MUD). I was thinking maybe a T-shirt but whatever you want to use it for is cool with me.

Good times I really enjoyed the two legs I was involved with. This one was so different from the Yosemite trip but still a ton of fun.

Mike I really like how you did that last photo, made it look like it came out of a magazine!!! Super slick! Thanks again for heading this up. I had a blast. Def glad you had your camera. Your shots were amazing.

Love those pics of the San Francisco area, but I will have to agree with 4Cruisers, although I don't live far from civilization (at least my version of civilization).

I appreciate this even more now:

baton-1-jpg.1474694

Sure do give up a few things by living far from civilization, but to me it's worth it.

This could almost pass for Hwy 20 west of Sisters, OR and east of Black Butte. The main difference is that the hill isn't big enough for Black Butte, and should be a little bit more north.

The tool box is getting close to me, but still a few hundred miles away.

I've said this before, but since my 40 is not driveable I would love the chance to ride with someone else during one of the legs in the trip. There are several 40 owners in the Portland metro and Vancouver WA area, although I think they frequent the Hardcore section more. There are also some in the Bend area (east of the Cascade Mountains). Seems to me like someone lives on the Coast, and there may be a few in the mid to southern Willamette Valley.

Don

Cool thing is that we can get away from civilization in just a couple of hours... We're already talking about an annual Northern CA weekend event - could be mountains, could be coastal, we have lots of options! No desert nearby but we certainly have that in CA (just a little longer away). SF was a different kind of fun, but the best part was just roadtrippin' with fellow cruiserheads!

IMG_8420_small.jpg

...best part was just roadtrippin' with fellow cruiserheads!

View attachment 1578556

Great times! That pic of me and my son in my rig about to go to 10,000 feet over the Tioga Pass is my favorite. Thanks for all the effort you put into organizing both trips. And really excellent camera work and write ups. I’ll ‘Cruiser with you any time and anywhere. In fact, I’ve got a great secret camping spot east of Chico, CA that is way off road, so let’s hit that next summer.

90E55553-01B2-44D2-B7E1-9E5B1D346EE0.jpeg

930846B2-270E-4158-943A-D8AF926739F4.jpeg

Great times! That pic of me and my son in my rig about to go to 10,000 feet over the Tioga Pass is my favorite. Thanks for all the effort you put into organizing both trips. And really excellent camera work and write ups. I’ll ‘Cruiser with you any time and anywhere. In fact, I’ve got a great secret camping spot east of Chico, CA that is way off road, so let’s hit that next summer.

View attachment 1578835

View attachment 1578836
Where is this? I am interested of room!

Where is this? I am interested of room!

It's east of Chico on an unmarked fire road that I swore I wouldn't publicize (online). When I went last summer, I was given a coordinate to turn off the hwy. Will have to dig it out. The camping site has no services, but it's on a kick ass river that was pumping after last winters rain/snow. If we want to assemble a rally to the spot, I will go stealth and we can all meet up at Sierra Nevada brewery to head there.

It's east of Chico on an unmarked fire road that I swore I wouldn't publicize (online). When I went last summer, I was given a coordinate to turn off the hwy. Will have to dig it out. The camping site has no services, but it's on a kick ass river that was pumping after last winters rain/snow. If we want to assemble a rally to the spot, I will go stealth and we can all meet up at Sierra Nevada brewery to head there.

Sorry wasn't trying to intrude! Let me know if you guys want a tag along.

Sorry wasn't trying to intrude! Let me know if you guys want a tag along.
No intrusion my friend!! Let’s rally a group of Cruiser heads and family and arrange a meet up in Chico, then head out for some camping and wheelin' . Happy Thanksgiving!

No intrusion my friend!! Let’s rally a group of Cruiser heads and family and arrange a meet up in Chico, then head out for some camping and wheelin' . Happy Thanksgiving!

Sounds good to me! I was telling Mike we need to start a once a year trip somewhere in northern ca. We have so many spots to choose from. If you guys like ocean fishing crabbing or abalone Diving I have a few good spots. The sierras also have so much to offer! Happy Thanksgiving!!

View attachment 1577722

Just fabulous conditions – couldn’t be happier. Made for a great handoff of the toolbox!

View attachment 1577723

Tons of people stopped to check out our cruisers. But I think most wanted to check out the dogs!

View attachment 1577721

This ended up being the final destination. I had originally planned on us crossing the Golden Gate to go to another vantage point (looking southeast, view of the GGB from up high with the City in the background), but we all decided to nix that. We all enjoyed a sucker from the toolbox and then bid @69 4 fun adieu and safe travels (great to meet you and your family!). We then went to lunch at Pier 23 Café and promptly paid tons of money for you guessed it, parking. Great dungeoness crab and shrimp sandwich. And a table right on the pier overlooking the water. A great way to finish off another really fun adventure in our beloved Land Cruisers.

View attachment 1577724

For more photos (and in full resolution), you can click here:

2017 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Cross Country Expedition - SF - Michael Gin
Glad to hear the suckers are still being enjoyed. I'm still following this thread after more than a year, nice!!

Well the baton is officially in Oregon! Just returned from a long 544 mile round trip to Grants pass. This was a long day but well worth it to keep this going. The baton is now in very good hands of Garett and his dad Doug that where so gracious to pick up part of the Oregon leg for me since I tore my ankle up during my time of over seeing the baton. Thanks guys it was a short visit but a very nice one. Like I said earlier we are so fortunate for this expedition and the opportunity to meet some fj40 "nuts" that we would of never otherwise. Thanks everyone involved this was a great time!!!!

I did a lot of driving and not much picture taking sorry guys! I started out near the base of the shortest mountain range (pic1)Sutter Buttes, and drove by one of the taller mountains in northern ca (pic2) Mt Shasta.
I added a pic of a little pink corner of the baton (wife and daughters handy work).This is a tribute to all the females in my cruiser (wife, daughter, Boston terrier and French bull dog) and all the other ladies that either tagged along, participated or allowed us to take part in this. Thanks ladies!!!

Toatal milage one way for baton "497"

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

@69 4 fun - Awesome job carrying on the torch. As for the NorCal annual event, I call for a camping outing next Spring at my secret campground East of Chico. It’s way off paved roads, and it’d be cool to sit around a bonfire with beers or Jack discussing Cruiser related topics.

And cool of pic of Shasta. I’ve been on the top. Great Mtn!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom