FJ62, 1988, hot transmission, jumps out of 2nd gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Two simple questions in the bottom of this loong post.

I looked for a similar thread, but couldn't find any, so here's a new one.

The other day I was driving down a Sandy road, and did some pretty cool offroading. Did a little bit of climbing on some rocks too. It was freaking awesome (yes I'm new to 4x4's, so I'm easily excited haha). It was a warm day on top of that.

After a good hour of driving in these conditions, my automatic transmission jumped out of the drive gear into second (I was driving in 2WD at this point). And I couldn't push it back (didn't push with full force). I thought that it was nothing but a fart, so I put the car in 4WD L and back in 2WD, and I was able to change the gear. Five seconds later the transmission did the same again. Jumps out of D into 2nd, and won't go back into D. It was as if the transmission just locked itself.

At this point I realize, that I need to pull over and let the transmission cool off. So I did. When I turned the car off I could hear, what I think was, the transmission oil boiling. Not the best I know. I didn't have any indications that it was warm though until it started jumping. I do have a tranny cooler installed, and it was warm, so I assume it was getting heat out of the transmission.

The car did this once in 5000 miles of mixed driving. I only did rock climbing this one time though.

Here's my question: should I be worried or was it just a matter of an overheated transmission from climbing and off roading in sand?

And is my oil messed up now that it was boiling?

I can't speak to the specifics of the locking out, but I would certainly support your ATF being shot; likely worth draining and seeing what it looks like (color, smell, whether any particulates are floating around in it) and replacing with a good synthetic fluid.

Also, have you checked the level of gear oil in your transfer case? Often the seal between the tranny and transfer case has worn out, allowing fluid to migrate from the tranny to the transfer case, potentially leaving little ATF in the tranny.

Regardless, I'd drain, see how much you have in the tranny, and replace with synthetic; I'd also take the fill plug out of the transfer case and check to see if it is overflowing (it will come out the fill plug) and plan on draining/replacing the gear oil in the transfer case if so (it is gear oil, so ATF is not it's friend).

My $0.02

I can't speak to the specifics of the locking out, but I would certainly support your ATF being shot; likely worth draining and seeing what it looks like (color, smell, whether any particulates are floating around in it) and replacing with a good synthetic fluid.

Also, have you checked the level of gear oil in your transfer case? Often the seal between the tranny and transfer case has worn out, allowing fluid to migrate from the tranny to the transfer case, potentially leaving little ATF in the tranny.

Regardless, I'd drain, see how much you have in the tranny, and replace with synthetic; I'd also take the fill plug out of the transfer case and check to see if it is overflowing (it will come out the fill plug) and plan on draining/replacing the gear oil in the transfer case if so (it is gear oil, so ATF is not it's friend).

My $0.02
Im

My $0.02

Hey @srogers thanks for your reply!

I didn't mean gear oil but ATF as you correctly call it! Yes I did check the level almost right after, and it was high supposed to when hot. But you have a good point with the seal. I'll definitely check that out. I'll go to a mechanic tomorrow and ask him to lift the car, drain the transfer case, inspect the oil, open it, inspect the transmission and inspect the link between transfer case and tranny.

You think that's a recipe for success?

Im

Hey @srogers thanks for your reply!

I didn't mean gear oil but ATF as you correctly call it! Yes I did check the level almost right after, and it was high supposed to when hot. But you have a good point with the seal. I'll definitely check that out. I'll go to a mechanic tomorrow and ask him to lift the car, drain the transfer case, inspect the oil, open it, inspect the transmission and inspect the link between transfer case and tranny.

You think that's a recipe for success?
Of course I'll be there for the inspection too...

If you don't have a transmission cooler, put it on your priority list. If your transmission is having shifting issues that are not related to slipping that would point to adjusting the shifting cable going to your transmission or your valve body having crud in it and causing issues. Pull the pan, inspect the metal reusable filter, re-install, and refill with synthetic.

Quality synthetic made a huge difference for my shifting compared to cheap ATF.

Did the trans temp light come on? You are supposed to leave the engine idleing to cool down the trans. Hopefully new fluid will resurrect it.
Meticulous maintenance and extra cooling is pretty important for keeping a440f healthy. It will save you $$$ in the long run.
You can speed up the cooling a lot by spraying water on the external trans cooler while idleing if you find yourself in this situation again.

Did the trans temp light come on? You are supposed to leave the engine idleing to cool down the trans. Hopefully new fluid will resurrect it.
Meticulous maintenance and extra cooling is pretty important for keeping a440f healthy. It will save you $$$ in the long run.
You can speed up the cooling a lot by spraying water on the external trans cooler while idleing if you find yourself in this situation again.

@pithicus I do not remember if the trans temperature light came on. I should've checked that as well as I should've left the engine idling. You win a big award for making me feel dumb right now, because those are two pretty obvious things to do. I'll remember that! Thanks for great advice. The transmission is running great again and have for a hundred miles since the incident. But I haven't put it to a test like I did that day.

I think what I'm going to do is find a new gasket, magnets, ATF, and filter, take the bottom lid of the transfer case, inspect it (especially the links between the transfer case and the tranny) change the parts and hopefully reinstall with no sweat.

@Randy88FJ62 thanks for your input man! I don't know if this is an issue related to slipping, maybe you can school me?
I do have a tranny cooler, so on that subject I'm good.

Cheers you guys!

That's great news! New synthetic atf would be way to go if you haven't done it already.
I cooked my a440f on sand dunes, replaced the atf, added a cooler, and it went for years after that .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom